mailing BBQ

Howdy!

I want to ship some BBQ brisket from TX to KY. I figure I will smoke and slice then make up vacuum packs for smaller servings. I will throw in the frezzer and then..????

I'm guessing I will need some sort of cooler and dry ice before I Fed-Ex the stuff. Any suggestions on the cooler? I would rather not ship my large 5-day coolers and I doubt the styrofoam beer coolers would withstand shipping.

Any suggestions on an economical shipping container?

thanks,

David

Check with FedEx on their packaging rules for using dry ice. The package CANNOT be competely sealed. Dry ice is a solid gas. When it converts back to gas form pressure will build up in the unvented container and possibly expolde.

You're better off freezing and using regular ice in an approved container.

I checked into sending some ribs from Chicago to Florida. Its not imposible but difficult & expensive for the little guy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Somerville:
Howdy!

I want to ship some BBQ brisket from TX to KY. I figure I will smoke and slice then make up vacuum packs for smaller servings. I will throw in the frezzer and then..????

I'm guessing I will need some sort of cooler and dry ice before I Fed-Ex the stuff. Any suggestions on the cooler? I would rather not ship my large 5-day coolers and I doubt the styrofoam beer coolers would withstand shipping.

Any suggestions on an economical shipping container?

thanks,

David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you can get your hands on one of the coolers like they use for Omaha Steaks and such they work great. Freeze the brisket put a 2lb block of dry ice wrapped in newspaper and placed in a zip bag. I have one of them styrofoam coolers that my Taste's of Chicago deep dish pizza's came in, same thing as the Omaha steaks coolers. I'm going to be sending some stuff out to my Parents in AZ once it cools down some.

A buddy of mine sent me 15 wild salmon filets last fall from Anchorage, Alaska. He used a small shipping container specifically for shipping refrigerated goods. It’s a rectangular Styrofoam (approx. ¾” thick) in a card box container (not a very thick one). He lined the container with newspaper, placed all the frozen, vac-packed fillets in there and placed several of the soft freeze packs on top, then overnighted it Fed-Ex. (He never would tell me what it cost) Anyway, got here the next morning just fine and still hard as a rock. I’m sure if you look around, you can find a similar container at a reasonable price. HTH

Bill

Many years ago, we would send packages containing dry ice. For the dry ice we had to fill out hazardous material forms.

If you send dry ice, make sure that you tell the clerk who accepts the package.

Back