Maiden Performer cook!

Derek_Marsh

TVWBB Super Fan
Sorry, no pics, as my phone was totally dead...... Doing some wings tomorrow though for new years, as well as 2 racks of baby backs on the WSM, so I will get some shots of those!

Did 12 chicken drums on it. Ran like a champ at 400F and the drums were absolutely the best I have ever done. The GF, (especially very leery about chicken being done - I checked 4 drums with thermometer to 180F :cool:), and the rest of the family even said so! Can't wait to do more!

Everyone have a safe and very happy New Year tomorrow!!

Sounds good. My wife always has me over cook the chicken legs. She told me her mother would under cook them all the time.

Look forward to tomorrow's cook. :)

Derek
I'm with you about bird temp. I always bring my birds up to around 180, and it's never dry and always tasty.
Enjoy that Performer, the more you use it the more your going to realize what you can do on it.

Hello Derek,

How did you like the grill overall? Did you use the propane to start your charcoal? How did that work out? Just curious. I have been eyeing the performer to upgrade from the my silver.

Hello Derek,

How did you like the grill overall? Did you use the propane to start your charcoal? How did that work out? Just curious. I have been eyeing the performer to upgrade from the my silver.
Jim
I'm going to jump in there. The grill is outstanding! The propane starter is so nice. Fill your chimney, put it on the lower grate, hit the go button, and your on your way to a great night. Just remember to have 2 propane cans, and be diligent enough to replace the empty. I also like the table, but it does take up room. I use the charcoal bin to hold my chimney and cooking gloves. The ash can is so nice for cleanup and convenience.

Stop eyeing and start buying. The Weber Performer is one of the finest, most versatile grills Weber makes. Of course that's my opinion. Good luck and good smoking.

Happy New Year to you too Derek, I too like my chix a little over cooked. I have found brining them with a simple salt sugar mix increases the juiciness tremendously even when cooked to a higher temp. Even if you only do it for several hours.

Jim
I'm going to jump in there. The grill is outstanding! The propane starter is so nice. Fill your chimney, put it on the lower grate, hit the go button, and your on your way to a great night. Just remember to have 2 propane cans, and be diligent enough to replace the empty. I also like the table, but it does take up room. I use the charcoal bin to hold my chimney and cooking gloves. The ash can is so nice for cleanup and convenience.

Double that! The performer is what got me back into charcoal cooking and I ain't goin back to gas, although my wife still likes the gasser because its so easy for her. So I guess I'll have to keep it:rolleyes:

Thanks guys. Gonna get my pics up here shortly for the new year cook.

Jim - I will also add that this thing is the best grill I have ever owned. Even though I have only used it 3 times now. I have had cheap charcoal ones, as well as nice high end gassers as well. The gas start on the Performer is fantastic. Load the charcoal holders and fire it up. 5 minutes later, close the lid and let her get up to temp. Just awesome. Getting the vent settings to maintain temps has been the hardest to figure out so far. But that will come with time. Just like the WSM. But once you get it set, it locks in and holds perfectly.

Thanks guys. Gonna get my pics up here shortly for the new year cook.

Jim - I will also add that this thing is the best grill I have ever owned. Even though I have only used it 3 times now. I have had cheap charcoal ones, as well as nice high end gassers as well. The gas start on the Performer is fantastic. Load the charcoal holders and fire it up. 5 minutes later, close the lid and let her get up to temp. Just awesome. Getting the vent settings to maintain temps has been the hardest to figure out so far. But that will come with time. Just like the WSM. But once you get it set, it locks in and holds perfectly.
Not sure if you tried this or not, but before your next cook get a Sharpie Marker. Make marks on the ash can ring above the vent handle for full open, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and close. It's made a big help with my gauging the temperatures.

Mark - Yeah, I saw that someone else did that a while ago. I have just been looking through the grates to see the vents as I turn it. Will need to get that Sharpie and get it marked for sure.

Back