Made the plunge.

JerryP

I just finished assembling my 22 and am already dreaming about what to do first. I'm really thinking a brisket so I can get a feel for the way she handles a long, low cook. Would you recommend running my controller for the first cook or manually so I get a feel.for her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks also for all the kind and helpful responses to my first post. I think I'm gonna like it here.

I got my WSM (18.5) in September or October last year, so my advice is suspect to say the least. I did a dry hump... err, sorry, I mean dry run the first time without any meat to 'break it in'. I've only done a few smokes on her and I'm not sure what you mean by 'controller'. If you mean a temp gauge, I can tell you that according to my Marverick dual probe temp guage, the lid thermometer reading is definitely 45-50° over the BBG probe of the Maverick.

You might consider a boston butt for your first effort. They are more forgiving. WSMs tend to run hot when new so I would use water in the pan. Ive never used an ATC. With a full water pan and keeping two of the bottom three vents closed and using just one to adjust with I have had good luck keeping steady temperatures. Good luck to you.

You're much more patient than me. Throw a steak on while you're thinking about what to throw on for a long cook. Have fun w the new toy.

Don't lift the lid...

I would learn how to smoke without the ATC and do other cooks before a brisket. This way your smoker will get "seasoned"
You can do a pork butt and ribs , chicken then jump into a brisket.

This has great info that can guide you. Of course if you have questions just ask and someone will help.

http://virtualweberbullet.com

Agree with Tony's advice. I almost did the same and made a brisket my first. Glad I went with something a little easier to understand the smoker better. But get to smoking on it as soon as possible and you will be on the brisket in no time.

My first cook was Pulled Pork. Very ez. I don't have a temperature control device. I do use a Maverick 732 to keep track of temp. At Grate and a food probe to get a rough estimate of the meat temp. I then use a Super Fast Thermopen (camoflauged is the fastest :)). WSM is a great smoker-get "smokin'".

+1 on the sentiments above.

Recommend learning fire control without the controller first before you start relying on it. Also recommend a pork butt for the maiden voyage. They are pretty much bullet proof (how was that for a pun!?).

Russ

My first cook was Pulled Pork. Very ez. I don't have a temperature control device. I do use a Maverick 732 to keep track of temp. At Grate and a food probe to get a rough estimate of the meat temp. I then use a Super Fast Thermopen (camoflauged is the fastest :)). WSM is a great smoker-get "smokin'".

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my tests have time and time again proven that red is indeed the fastest. Lol

It's your smoker, do what you wanna do!
As said, butts are more forgiving but a brisket will work too.
It will run hot the first few cooks so my way of thinking is the first few cooks are for general learning, you'll learn the nuances of your cooker after it has gunked up some.
With that thought, if you want to play with your new controller too, go ahead. The WSM will last you for years, so you'll have plenty of time to play.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my tests have time and time again proven that red is indeed the fastest. Lol

that is a known fact.....and I say cook a buncha chicken and some sausages to season that cooker. Easy as pie and lots of good gunk flying around.

Back