Machaca Burrito Flavoring

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
One of the things I absolutely love in Mexican cuisine is Machaca Burritos (we travel (used to) to Mazatlan regularly and it is on most menus there). Not necessarily the dried meat texture, but just the flavor profile. Does anyone have any insight into ingredients that could be used to emulate that in some way? Being waaaaaaay North of the Mexican border, we don't necessarily have access to some dried peppers etc, but I am not really sure where to even start.

Hey, Grant. Not sure I've ever had Machaca, but these links from SeriousEats may help?

Homemade Machaca

Machaca Guisada (recipe for preparing the Machaca for a burrito.)

Like I said, this gringo has never even eaten Machaca, but I have usually had good luck with stuff from SeriousEats.....

R

I was born and raised in Tucson, Az and would travel to Rocky Point, Mexico several times a year. Most Mexican restaurants would have Machaca Burritos on the menu.
I’ve eaten hundreds Machaca Burritos over the years and never made my own Machaca.

Machaca was sold at the local Mexican markets by the pound in Tucson and Mexico. I would make my own burritos.

After moving to Florida a few years ago, I was not able to find a local source for Machaca. I currently buy it from Peoples Choice , not sure if they ship to Canada.

Here In AZ Machaca is pretty easy to find. I got this recipe from a friend and it doesn't use anything hard to find and it has great flavor.
Hope this helps

Slow Cooker Beef Machaca

Original recipe yields 8 servings

Ingredients
1 (4 pound) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 8 portions
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 limes, juiced
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large sweet onion, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
½ cup beef broth
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Step 1

Place beef portions into the crock of a large slow cooker. Mix olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice together in a bowl; pour over the beef. Add diced tomatoes, sweet onion, green bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno pepper, beef broth, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper to the slow cooker.

Step 2

Cook on High for 1 hour. Change setting to Low and continue cooking until the beef is tender, about 6 1/2 hours.

Step 3

Remove beef with tongs to a cutting board. Shred with a pair of forks and return to the slow cooker. Continue cooking another 20 to 30 minutes.

S

Hey, Grant. Not sure I've ever had Machaca, but these links from SeriousEats may help?

Homemade Machaca

Machaca Guisada (recipe for preparing the Machaca for a burrito.)

Like I said, this gringo has never even eaten Machaca, but I have usually had good luck with stuff from SeriousEats.....

R
The homemade machaca recipe you posted is correct, it’s a dried meat similar to beef jerky.

I’ll have to try my hand at making it homemade!

Recipe looks good, but it’s not northern Mexico machaca.

Here In AZ Machaca is pretty easy to find. I got this recipe from a friend and it doesn't use anything hard to find and it has great flavor.
Hope this helps

Slow Cooker Beef Machaca

Original recipe yields 8 servings

Ingredients
1 (4 pound) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 8 portions
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 limes, juiced
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large sweet onion, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
½ cup beef broth
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Step 1

Place beef portions into the crock of a large slow cooker. Mix olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice together in a bowl; pour over the beef. Add diced tomatoes, sweet onion, green bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno pepper, beef broth, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper to the slow cooker.

Step 2

Cook on High for 1 hour. Change setting to Low and continue cooking until the beef is tender, about 6 1/2 hours.

Step 3

Remove beef with tongs to a cutting board. Shred with a pair of forks and return to the slow cooker. Continue cooking another 20 to 30 minutes.

S
Thanks for the fake gringo machaca recipe I’d give it a try.....If your in Prescott, there should be a few Mexican stores that carry the dried machaca.
It’s nothing like the crock pot version in your recipe.

cheers

Back