Lump Review my view

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
A while back Bob Correll suggested that I might like to give Kamodo Big Block lump axe breaker a shot.
Actually I have seen this brand many times before on Amazon. I just didn't pay it much attention because it seemed to be for ceramics smokers.
Anyway you can see by the picture that there is some big chunks of axe breaker.
actually I will burn those big chunks in my M1 when I am burning stick wood. 2 huge chunks keeps the firebox red hot & keeps the stick wood burning clean.
The medium & smaller sizes are perfect for most grills out there.
r5YuWdK.jpg

Here is the lump burning off side direct. Burns clean. Light smoke. Pleasant smell.
Lighter smell than J Devil at start up. Lights quickly, burns hot. As you can see in the pic.
wxL6le1.jpg

Once again my rib addiction. LOL But today we are eating dog food ribs. 6 ribs cut into singles from a local grocery store. Select grade I would say.
But most times they are really guud.
HmqCLPm.jpg

3 hours in we are done. Great looking color & bark on the rib meat. No wood was added to the charcoals.
The wife liked the flavor better than with wood. I like a little wood added to my charcoals. That being said the ribs had a great flavor.
xj4kfWI.jpg

Summary:
Kamodo big block is a mixture of three axe breaker charcoals. Which is a wood I'm partial to make charcoal.
Gotta give this charcoal a A+. Its right there with J Devil, Fogo, Wicked Good, which is the three charcoals I am using at this time.
I ended up getting 40 lbs for $40. Not a bad deal, that's a little cheaper than the other 3 brands that I mentioned. But you gotta look around.
One place wanted $37 for 20 lbs. Not gonna happen. So I definitely will be adding this charcoal to my supply in the future. Nothing wrong with having 4 great charcoals to burn instead of 3.
Hope that you enjoy the review and that it helps someone. Have a great 4th everyone.
5TK4z3E.jpg

Little ones have to eat too. Shots like this is why we live where we live.
There is no Costco near here. There is no Restaurant Depot either. And I hope that it stays that way for the rest of my days.

Last edited:
Glad you like it Russ, I do too.
I know you're happy without a Costco, but I bought a 30/lb of the KJ for $22 last year when the Kamado Joe roadshow was there. Wish I had bought more.
The ribs look great!

Glad you like it Russ, I do too.
I know you're happy without a Costco, but I bought a 30/lb of the KJ for $22 last year when the Kamado Joe roadshow was there. Wish I had bought more.
The ribs look great!

Yea Bob, that's a great price. Wish that I could buy lump for that price.
Don't get me wrong, I think Costco would be a great store to shop at. Great prime meat choices, lump & what not.
but they are only built in high population & density of people area. Just not for me in my life style. Would like to go to one someday & stock up. But I guess that you have to be a member.
Glad that you also liked the charcoal. Have a safe 4th.

Would like to go to one someday & stock up. But I guess that you have to be a member.

I heard that if you have a Costco gift card, you can shop at the store. So maybe one day if you're near Denver or some other location with a Costco, get a gift card and use it to buy stuff in the store. I would think that you could use a $25 gift card and then pay for the rest with your credit card.

https://www.savingfreak.com/how-to-to-shop-at-costco-without-a-membership/

I see that you're in Durango. I have fond memories of a long skiing weekend at Purgatory in the early 90s. I was on a business trip to Phoenix in Feb and was going to hike the Grand Canyons. I had reservations for the Phantom Ranch. But apparently the conditions were poor such that they were not sending the mules down. So I changed plans and drove 9+ hours to Durango. While I was there, it snowed so much that I was skiing with snow near my hips. However, it was heavy snow and exhausting. Maybe one day, I'll be able to head back.

Back