Lump out west...

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
Saw mention of some lump in a message, and wanted to add a thread for folks on the west coast, and what lump you use.

I have tried most, from mesquites to hardwood, to lump, and I was using a bag of hardwood lump from BBQ Galore this past weekend. This is not to be confused with the mesquite that sits in bags next to this hardwood, because that is no comparison.

The quality of this charcoal is about the best that I have used, and I read it is OEM'd from Lazarri, the main distributor on the west coast for fuels, both charcoal and coal, for all cooking, heating, and forging.

I have been using the Whole Foods 365 brand, for about the past year at least. It is pretty good stuff, available close to me, and has worked ok...it is OEM'd from Cowboy per the naked whiz site.

In comparison, there is more forge flies with the Cowboy, and I did use some Cowboy as starter in a minion method setup, so I can see how both did compare. The Cowboy brand does spark some for me when getting started, pops and blows some ashes around, this is what smiths call forge flies, which I have mentioned here before. Mesquite is the worst in this regard, and why folks should use hardwood lump if they can find it.

Cowboy will often have odd crap in the bag, one often the pieces will look like cut-offs from regular lumber, so it is more scraps from woodworking shops, in my experience.

The BBQ Galore (Lazarri) hardwood lump is much better quality, when you break it up in your hands, and in how it burns.

Price is almost the same. I think a 20# bag was $15, where the 8# bag is about $6 at Whole Foods for the 365 labeled Cowboy product.

I will be using this BBQ Galore stuff, or buy it from Lazarri directly, from now on. I have used this to forge with a couple years ago, but this was the first time to cook with it. As I say, the quality of the charcoal, the type of product in the bag, the quality of how it burns, no more Cowboy and/or Whole Foods 366 for me, unless I'm in a pinch and can't get the Lazzari.

Anyone have a better recommendation for a better hardwood lump to cook with, please chime in and hollar!

BBQ Galore also had some type of Big Green Egg brand charcoal, but it looked like lava rock to me when I was peaking in the bag that was open. Looked almost like something that is used in a gasser...what's that stuff? Anybody know?

yep, lazzari seems to be the best we can get kinda easily here in calif. i'm still only finding lazzari mesquite though. smart and final used to carry lazzari but now only carries best of the west. orchard supply carries lazzari. green egg stuff is kinda the better grade from royal oak. i can find ro lump rather easily so that is what i use now.

C.Howlett,

Yeah, we can get mesquite all day long, that's the stuff you want to avoid. What you want is hardwood lump.

These are two very different products, the later is made from oak, not mesquite. Yes, mesquite is actually a hardwood, but it's plagued with "forge fly" syndrome. At BBQ Galore they have them labeled as mesquite or hardwood lump, so both must come from Lazzari. If you have not tried the hardwood lump, you should. Get it at BBQ Galore for convenience. You are not likely to find it anywhere else locally, that I know of, but there could be some.
retail_pg1_pic03.jpg

food_service_pg4_pic02.jpg

I just bought a bag of the Barbeques Galore Hardwood Lump Charcoal but have not tried it yet. It has an oak leaf/acorn symbol on the bag. I asked the salesman what kind of wood and he said a mix of oak and hickory. 20# bag was $15.

I have tried BBQ galore lump it is good stuff. I have also tried Kingsford's "Charwood", which is available at the Bel-Air that I shop at occationally. The Charwood isn't too shabby. I have a bag of Royal that I haven't opened yet. As far as what woods they are produced from or if one is better than the other I can't say.
I definitely prefer it over Kingsford briquettes, but I don't like the hole it leaves in my wallet.
I prefer to use it for gourmet meals and when guests come over. I especially use it for food that doesn't require a strong smokey flavor or that calls to be basted or slathered with sauce.

Chris,

Really would like to hear your thoughts when you open and use it. Break some up in your hands, and compare that to mesquite lump or other hardwood such a Cowboy.

I respect your thoughts as you use your 'que on a regular basis, as do I.

I haven't been able to find anything better in quality. I'm not sure it burns longer/better, but I like the burn it gives me. No scientific study on my part, it just seems like better quality than I can get with other hardwood lump in our area. All of our mileage varies.
icon_smile.gif

Lazzari says we can buy the oak lump from the headquarters in brisbane. they say it is the only place in the bay area to get it. 40 pound bag is $16

John,

I read on the naked whiz that Lazzari makes the lump for them, I don't know. If you drive up to the city, I'd like to see what it looks like. Please post a pic.

Chris,

Just remembered, BBQ Galore also has the Big Green Egg hardwood lump, but I haven't tried it as it costs more than the BBQ Galore brand which I like a lot. Did you get any of the BGE lump to try also?

I've been using RO which I like but seems to have short burn time (but I don't have a lot of experience with lump to compare it against). Based on the thumbs up from others I picked-up some Lazzari Mesquite Lump and was impressed, similar to RO, nice big pieces and smell /taste was very mild.

I just ordered some Extruded Coconut Charcoal. I've read very good things about it, neutral smell, very little ash and looooong burn times. A guy reports he got 85 hours at 225 off of 16.5 lbs. using an ATC. Should be here Friday!!

I'm out west, but a bit further north than most of you, up in the mountains at Whistler BC. I've been using Maple Leaf Lump and Nature's Grilling Hardwood Lump. Both are greats charcoals. I just cleaned out WalMart of the last 10 bags of Nature's Grilling, that I hunted down in their back room. $5.36 for 6.6lb bag, a little pricey but the big gnarly chunks burn forever during the long cooks. The Maple Leaf I get from my local Home Hardware. Its good, smells and tastes great, but a little too many small bits in a bag. I also just ordered a box of smoke wood from Smokinlicious. Very difficult to find anything but Weber Smokespice Mesquite and Hickory chunks up here. Ordered some Cherry and Maple, but still looking to get some Apple. Looking forward to my next smoke.

Martin,

If you can, get your hands on some Apple wood. For me, its my go to wood for many smokes. Of course it's helpful my brother has a small orchard on his property.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I just bought a bag of the Barbeques Galore Hardwood Lump Charcoal but have not tried it yet. It has an oak leaf/acorn symbol on the bag. I asked the salesman what kind of wood and he said a mix of oak and hickory. 20# bag was $15. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris,

You ever try this lump?

Any comments on it?

I just grabbed a couple 10# bags, the BBQG I go to is out of the large bags...has been out for a few weeks...but they sell me the small bags at the big bag price.

I just fired up the WSM and again, impressed with the lump, even the large pieces can be broken up with my hands, seems like good stuff to me. I'm doing some ribs with no added wood. Saucin' with a miso sauce today...

Back