Lump not recommended in WSM

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
As I attempt to learn how to use my new WSM and explore different fuel sources, I re-read the owners manual for the wsm and was surprised to see the comment that said "lump is not recommended". That was surprising as it seems nearly everyone favors lump over briquettes, but completely contrary to the manufacturer. The manual also describes what is essentially a Minion method of lighting, which i believe is consistent with folks here, on long cooks.

I think the perception is that lump is less consistent, and the instructions are written for the broadest of audiences. If I recall they did not recommend a MM type burn in the manual that came with my WSM so they have come around a little, but it worked real well start my first MM burn.

Gary

That's interesting. Since we know lump works well in the WSM, I can only speculate that their "not recommended" is because it takes some extra care (packing the charcoal ring to eliminate gaps and voids) to get a good, consistent burn with lump. Briquettes are, in my opinion, easier to learn with.

BTW, for anyone who's interested, the owner's manual for the new WMS's is on-line here.

Has anyone tried using the minion method using Kingsford AND Lump? Covering the bottom with Ksford then using lump on the top?

(I would imagine it would cover the whole bottom this way minimizing gaps) I have not tried it, but wondered if anyone has.

But I would think that taking extra care when packing would work. It may take some time, but should be worth it)

I have used K and lump together, usually the othe way around though. I will light the K in the chimney, but use lump to fill the ring. Packing it in does a little extra time, but very little. Some givorous shaking of the ring will get it all pretty well lined up.

That's it, no more lump for me. Anybody want to buy 7 bags of lump?
May I quote from Chris A.
"With all due respect to the fine folks at Weber, my first piece of advice is to ignore the "Getting Started" instructions in the Owner's Manual." I rest my case.

Originally posted by Davidd:
The manual also describes what is essentially a Minion method of lighting, which i believe is consistent with folks here, on long cooks.

The MM works on shorter cooks too as it's much easier to catch your target temp range on the way up than it is to fight temps bringing them down. JMO of course.

Royal Oak Plus Briquettes bags say 'Do Not Use in Water Smoker'

so, we can't use lump, briqs ... propane or natural gas conversion time?
icon_biggrin.gif

I wonder why they say that in the manual? But, also scroll up a bit they give a much sterner warning about using lighter fuel impregnated product ... by contrast they only said lump is not recommended, which if meant the way I'm thinking might have been better worded 'for best results Weber recommend briquettes, but lump is also acceptible'

Originally posted by Shawn W:
Royal Oak Plus Briquettes bags say 'Do Not Use in Water Smoker'

so, we can't use lump, briqs ... propane or natural gas conversion time?
icon_biggrin.gif

I wonder why they say that in the manual? But, also scroll up a bit they give a much sterner warning about using lighter fuel impregnated product ... by contrast they only said lump is not recommended, which if meant the way I'm thinking might have been better worded 'for best results Weber recommend briquettes, but lump is also acceptible'

On the subject of Royal Oak, Is it me or does that stuff just burn way to quick? I hate the feel of it too.

Larzari actually is considered the same thing (Lump) but man this stuff burns longer, and has chunks of Mesquite lumber in it. Nice and heavy..

Originally posted by Dave/G:
May I quote from Chris A.
"With all due respect to the fine folks at Weber, my first piece of advice is to ignore the "Getting Started" instructions in the Owner's Manual." I rest my case.

Dang!!!!!!!! You beet me to it!!!!!!!!!
icon_wink.gif

i've used lump and K. i do think that K is easier to learn with until you get the vibe from your WSM. after trying the new comp K, i might be done with lump. the stuff is good!

I have come to the same conclusion as Tim Sr about Royal Oak. It burns fast. I have tried it several times with the same fast results.

I also usually light the Kingsford in the chimney and put the lump in the ring if I happen to have both on hand. The briquettes being smaller will fill in the gaps in between the lump. My experience is that the lump seems to burn hotter.

That did it for me - set 10 bags of Humphrey's Lump out for the trash today. All my cooks will be with K Match Lite from here on out.
icon_biggrin.gif

Manual? What manual? Oh, you mean that paper I used to lite my lump with?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I still have 80 lbs. of lump. Can I use it in the aquarium filter? If so, I have about a 500 year supply!

I have never used briquettes to cook with, only lump. I use Kingsford for lit using the Minion Method. I think those recommendations are for people that are dummer . . . dumbber . . . dumbeer . . . stoopider than me who cant figure things out on their own.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tim Harris Sr.:
Has anyone tried using the minion method using Kingsford AND Lump? Covering the bottom with Ksford then using lump on the top?

(I would imagine it would cover the whole bottom this way minimizing gaps) I have not tried it, but wondered if anyone has.

But I would think that taking extra care when packing would work. It may take some time, but should be worth it)

yes. it works fine. its what i did with the remainder of my lump to get rid of it.

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Harris Sr.:

yes. it works fine. its what i did with the remainder of my lump to get rid of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is everyone getting rid of Lump? Thats all I have been using... Is there some big new secret out that I dont know about?

Is there some big new secret out that I dont know about?

Yes. Everyone is switching over to sarcasm. It's pretty amazing stuff...flies right over your head sometimes.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

[Why is everyone getting rid of Lump? Thats all I have been using... Is there some big new secret out that I dont know about?

Just fooling around Tim. Sorry. Why would the WSM care if the fuel is lump or briquets? Even if it did care, how would it know? To the best of my knowledge, my lid doesn't have a brain.(I question my own sometimes) Stick some fuel in the bowl, throw some meat on the grate and smoke away.

Back