Lump not recommended in WSM

Has anyone used Duraflame? What was the results? Looking for it in Connecticut, anyone know where to get it around here? Also, any comments about Wicked Good?

i've been using a wsm intensely for over 2 years and never had as good as luck or predictablity with lump -including taste. it's a crap shoot.

i don't have time to tend it, so i load up with briquettes and that's it. set it, forget it.

using impregnated briquettes in the smoker is a good way to get it to explode. lighter fluid may go the same way. I usually used an electric wand. easiest and safest and i don't have to mess w/ lighters or chimneys.

the nice thing about the smoker is we can all do a little black art to it and have our recipes.

for a beginner, use kingsford. after a few good results and the smoker is seasoned, run with whatever your heart desires.

Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Has anyone used Duraflame? What was the results?

I tried the Duraflame natureal Bruqa once in my Chargiller with side box before I got the WSM. It was the only time I had ash choke out my fire. It produced more ash than regular K. I won't use it again.

Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Has anyone used Duraflame? What was the results? Looking for it in Connecticut, anyone know where to get it around here? Also, any comments about Wicked Good?

Bill, the general feeling is that Duraflame lump is manufactured by Cowboy. Go to www.nakedwhiz.com and read the review for Duraflame.

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I thought it might be helpful to some other bay area WSM owners.

I spent the last while systematically going through all the top ranked lump according to nakedwhiz.com and finally got a hit on a local distributor in Millbrae, CA for the #6 ranked lump (RealMontana Maple). Long burn, low ash and very very positive reviews. Don't pay for shipping if you dont have to, find a local distributor if you can. Especially if they allow free pickup
icon_wink.gif

I guess my point is try to find a local distributor if you can, they might not be that far away.
http://www.pacifichardwoodsupply.com/

Lump Coal is bad for the WSM??? G Whiz! I`ve been using Lump Coal for about a year now on everything, including my Kettle grill and I swear the food taste better. My family thinks so too.

Originally posted by James Pop:
Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I thought it might be helpful to some other bay area WSM owners.

I spent the last while systematically going through all the top ranked lump according to nakedwhiz.com and finally got a hit on a local distributor in Millbrae, CA for the #6 ranked lump (RealMontana Maple). Long burn, low ash and very very positive reviews. Don't pay for shipping if you dont have to, find a local distributor if you can. Especially if they allow free pickup
icon_wink.gif

I guess my point is try to find a local distributor if you can, they might not be that far away.
http://www.pacifichardwoodsupply.com/

Thank you for the resurrection, Sir James. I chose to use K briquets when I got my WSM last summer just because of the Weber recommendation. But I had already seen here that many prefer lump -- I just wanted to get off on the right foot, so I started using my WSM with water and with K.

I'm glad to see this thread right now because I only have a couple bags of K from my 4th of July Lowe's special deal. I'm literally going out tomorrow to buy lump for the first time and this is an interesting thread to see. (I've also now cooked with water, with a pottery saucer, and with foil-lined air. For me, it doesn't make much difference and I will seldom use water in the future just for the extended burn time.)

Now to find the right lump... And hopefully from a local source.

Rich

I haven't seen the owners manuals for my WSMs since shortly after buying them.

I buy whichever (RO or CompK) is on sale. Doesn't matter to me which one I use as they are almost exactly the same except for shape. I just love to watch the lump/briq discussions. Back and forth, back and forth.

The only one I won't use is the Kingsford Blue. That stuff is horrible.

Russ

I use lump pretty much exclusively and 99% of the time I use Wicked Good. Their quality is very consistent and they don't use exotic wood from endangered rain forests. If I can't get WG then RO lump is my other choice.

I have never tried lump in my WSM. Not for any particular reason, just haven't gotten around to it. And, well, as a NB, I don't feel like messing with something good just quite yet. I've used K exclusively. I tried Comp K in the kettle but really didn't like how it burned at all.

Anyhow, my lump question...

I used some lump this past weekend-the BBQs galore store brand (can't recall who makes it for them)-and the shiz was sparking non stop like one of those sparkler sticks. What gives? I couldn't even get near the dang thing w/out fear of catching my valour leisure suit on fire!
icon_smile.gif

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Tim L.:

Anyhow, my lump question...

I used some lump this past weekend-the BBQs galore store brand (can't recall who makes it for them)-and the shiz was sparking non stop like one of those sparkler sticks. What gives? I couldn't even get near the dang thing w/out fear of catching my valour leisure suit on fire!
icon_smile.gif

Thoughts?

I've never tried it, but if it is the same lump as this.
Seems like they give it a below average mark.

Tim

Yep, that's the one. The bag looks a bit different now, so not 100% sure it's the same content. I have to think there's better lump out there. The only other I tried was Cowboy and I preferred that one. Next bag will be RO.

Any idea on all the sparking anyone? Someone said moisture content.

Originally posted by Tim L.:
Yep, that's the one. The bag looks a bit different now, so not 100% sure it's the same content. I have to think there's better lump out there. The only other I tried was Cowboy and I preferred that one. Next bag will be RO.

Any idea on all the sparking anyone? Someone said moisture content.

I use Cowboy all the time. No problems to report.

Cowboy?

Maybe they put something else in the bags up North, but IMHO, Cowboy lump is probably about the only lump I've used that I can't find an upside to. I've found what looked like flooring scraps in it, it's all small to minute pieces that burn up in a jiffy...and sparks more than most while it's at it. To make myself perfectly clear, I wouldn't use the stuff for grilling, much less smoking with in the wsm, no matter the cost. Just sayin'...maybe it's different stuff down here.

Anyway, I've had good success using lump in the wsm, (B&B Oak from Academy Sports) but the only low-n-slow cooks I did was w/ water in the pan so I can't vouch for the long controlled burns that folks like Glenn W have. (I've had pretty good success in my drums though.)I will say that you gotta pack it tight if you want long burns, but the only time I've had any suffocation issues like with K blue (and one bag of Stubbs) was when it was leftover lump w/ too much in the way of small pieces. Lump's biggest upside is that there are no binders to make the leftover charcoal subpar, but I guess my taste buds aren't sensitive to mind the convenience of briquettes. Both have their upsides and uses, but Cowboy's best for just starting a fire.
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Dave/G:
The MM works on shorter cooks too as it's much easier to catch your target temp range on the way up than it is to fight temps bringing them down. JMO of course.

Absolutely....I tried doing wings once using just a chimney of lit. Ended up being way too hot. Now I just use a little less than a half ring and use the Minion.

For a 10-12hr or less I'm a lump only guy most of the time. If more time is needed I will mix briqs and lump together.

Back