Lump for the 1st time

Greg J

I am cooking a chuck roll this weekend and will be using lump for the 1st time. I have about 20 cooks under my belt and have been using the minion method with Kingsford briquets exclusivly. I picked up some Original Charcoal Co Lump at Costco and want to try it out.

Should I use it the same way? Any advice would be appreciated.

Greg J

The primary difference is that with briquettes you can just pour them into the charcoal ring and you don't need to worry much about how they are arranged, so long as there aren't any stragglers on the perimeter when you are doing a very short cook. Also the stock charcoal grate works fine.

With lump, it works best if you carefully arrange it so that there aren't any big air gaps in the pile. That will be particularly important for a chuck roll.

Also, I think it is helpful to get a second charcoal grate and use wire or some other method to attach it at 90 degrees on top of the other grate, so that the smaller lump pieces don't slip through. Along the same lines, it also helps to start out with a good solid layer of somewhat bigger pieces at the bottom to keep the smaller ones from slipping through.

Greg, that's cool that you found OCC lump at Costco. Not to hijack your message, but has anyone in WA found it at Costco?

Steve

Greg,
Let us know how you like the lump from the Orig. Charcoal Co.

I don't know how big your chuck roll is, but I'm guessing you won't get an entire chuck roll done without re-filling. You should give some thought as to how you will do that. Personally, after about 8 hours, I'd start adding some unlit and do that a couple times during the cook.

I used lump for the first time last weekend after using kingsford for years. To be honest I couldn't tell much difference, if any, in the finished product (sausage and 2 turkey breasts).

I do like lump for the fact that there are no chemicals or additives and that it burns quite a bit hotter than kingsford. I think I will experiment with it some more before I make up my mind.

Back