Lump Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Gardner

TVWBB Member
Hello Friends,
I have a question with regard to burning lump. Everything that I have read says lump burns hotter and faster than briquets.
This morning as I prepared to smoke 3 sides of spareribs (3.5 down) the fire ring was loaded with approximately 8 lbs. of lump and 4 small hickory chunks. I then started about a half chimney of Kingsford.
The Kingsford was then dumped on top of the lump. After which the WSM was assembled with the ribs in a rib rack on the top shelf.
The smoke went perfect. After 7 hours the ribs were removed and were beautiful. The dome temp stayed at 225 to 275 for the whole cook, requiring minimal vent adjustment.
Now finally for my question at last. After about 2 hours I looked out and saw that the Weber was still chugging away. I went and looked at the fire. Nearly half of the coals were still in there and burning. I just dumped the ashes a few minutes ago and there were still a few burning embers. Is this normal for this much coal to burn this long? (approx 10 hrs.)Or am I just lucky?
All answers will be appreciated.
Regards,
Billy Gardner

PS: I just bought a large salt shaker for my rub.
It really did good. A nice even application of rub with hardly any waste.

Billy,
That's about the right time frame, at those temperatures. Sounds like everything went well, and congratulations on that new rub shaker.

Jim

Don't believe everything you read on the web. If the advice is free it's worth what you paid for it. Nothing wrong with Lump. A whole lot of folks bad mouth Kingsford, what is funny is how many folks win big competitions with WSM's and Kingsford Charcoal.

Teddy Bear BBQ wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Don't believe everything you read on the web. If the advice is free it's worth what you paid for it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Care to share your expertise? I really enjoy hearing from the experts, and avoiding pitfalls.

Jim

Jim,
Sorry If I offended you let me clarify. Learning on forums is like panning for gold there is dirt mixed with gold and one needs to seperate the two. The ratio can vary depending on egos and agendas. I quoted a classic example with how many folks bad mouth Kingsford and how many winning teams cooking on WSM's use Kingsford. Two of the big "bad" things about Kingsford is fillers and the amount of heavy ash it produces both true but the competition results say that used correctly flavor is not affected is a fact seldom mentioned.
~Teddy Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back