Lump Charcoal vs. Briquettes

a palombo

Home Depot had a huge sale on Kingsford and it was too good to pass up.

I usually use lump charcoal.

Is there any major differences in terms of flavor?

Do I need to use more smoking wood with the briquettes than I would with lump?

Thanks!

Originally posted by a palombo:

<span class="ev_code_RED">Some claim a little chemical taste or smell with briqs.</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">Probably, if you are pleased with the smoke from the lump since it is all wood without fillers.</span>

Thanks!

Depends on what brand of lump you're used to using. But in general, YES there's a difference in flavor. Lump (quality lump, that is), is natural wood burned in the absence of oxygen down to a charcoal state. It IS wood. Briquettes (especially Kingsford) contains some wood and quite a few fillers. So the flavor can vary.

Another thing that will affect the flavor is the method of starting and timing of usage. In my experience, Kingsford briquettes can burn quite cleanly if you let them completely ash over before use.

If you use lighter fluid to start the briquettes, that could give a different flavor vs using a chimney starter (or starter cubes). Using the minion method for long cooks could make a difference in flavor as unlit Kingsford briquettes do emit a very noticeable odor while they're coming up to temp. Whether or not this makes a difference in the flavor of the final product, and the degree of that difference is debatable.

In general I would say YES. But the degree of how much more wood depends, again, on the type of lump you're using. Some lumps - especially those of a mesquite origin - empart a stronger wood flavor than others. In those cases, more smoke wood would be needed than if you're used to a milder lump.

When in doubt, I say go light, and you won't be disappointed. Hope this helps.

The Minion Method was first started using Kingsford.

You can obtain a more consistent,predictable burn with Kingsford.

I like Kingsford.
icon_biggrin.gif

How much did you buy? I always have lump and briquettes on hand. I mix match - do whatever and I can't tell a real big difference. I'm sure some can but for me, it's too small to matter.

Years ago. I used briqs exclusively, and then for several years, used lump almost exclusively. Now I use whichever grabs my fancy or seems better suited to what I'm cooking.

For instance:

Long (over 5 hours) cooks on WSM- bricks
Short/Med cooks on WSM- either, usually lump
Grilled steaks- lump
grilling indirect- either
grilling a large amount direct- either, usually briqs.

Jack,

I know some people mix lump and briqs. I have to get rid of used or because I was at the end of a bag. Nothing wrong with it.

The nice part about using lump for the chimney is that it gets going quicker than briqs. But you don't want very large pieces in there.

Matt, I was actually thinking about using the briqs. in the chimney to start the lump thus avoiding any "off smell" from the briquettes while they are coming up to temperature.

I like both depending on what I am doing and I often will put down a bottom layer of briqs in my smoker and then fill in with the smaller lump but I will not use Kingsford briqs in any minion type application as I do not like the idea of borax and coal dust in my food.

I use briqs under a cast iron dutch oven but won't use it to cook directly. I'm apparently one of those people who are sensitive to the flavor, and I really dislike the smell it makes as it burns. It's just not a wholesome smell to me.

Originally posted by Jack O:
Does anybody use lump with briquettes as the starter with the Minion method?

Yes I do this all of the time, Briqs are easier to light i the chimney then when doing long cooks I fill the chamber with lump and then add the lit briqs, great combination

Thanks!

I picked a few of those 4th of July specials myself. I have also been wondering about off flavors coming from the Kingsford while using the minion method. In my old ECB, I'd just add a new load of fire to the smoker when the other was cooling down, but on the WSM it's not possible as designed. Regardless, I like kingsford so far and bought 4 packs (8 bags) during the sale/special.

I may try Dante's method of putting fully ashed briqs on lump ring....sounds scientifically sound..

I use both, and I really do not think I can tell any difference in the end result. I think it would be difficult to line up 6 ribs (or anything else you want) cooked with the same rub, same wood, and be able to tell between the two with consistency. That just my opinion though..ive never tried it. I usually use kingsford and more lump in my performer though.

I prefer Kingsford over lump for smoking that is. I can control temps better and prefer the neutral flavor of it. I do like to use lump for grilling and use it most times.

Anyone have any thoughts specific to Kingsford comp? I buy that at Costco and stock up when it's on sale. Recently I tried some Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump and really liked the way it held the temp for a long cook. I had previously used Cowboy brand lump and found it to be awful, turned me off of lump for a long time. Now I'm thinking I was just using the wrong brand and that lump may be the way to go but I've still got several bags of Kingsford comp in the garage.

I generally like Comp K for long overnighters, but I use good ol' garden variety Blue K for shorter or hot smokes. I loaded up a ring of Comp K in my 18" WSM for an overnight brisket a few weeks back, connected the Stoker and it lasted 14 hours without a hiccup, and I still had about a third of the ring left. The big difference is very fine ash that won't smother a fire after 8-10 hours. It just falls away into the bottom of the pan with no problems at all. It's pretty expensive, though, compared to standard K. Used Royal Oak lump once, but went back to briquettes once that bag was done.

Peter, what didn't you like about Royal Oak? Was it a cost issue or a performance one? Also, do you remember if the Royal Oak was made in US or elsewhere? I've read that only the US made Royal Oak is worth buying.

Back