Lump+Briquettes Combo

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Just due to circumstances with the charcoal I had available in the garage, I did a pork carnitas cook on my S6 with BOTH some lump charcoal combined with some briquettes (mostly spread around and covering the top of the lump). I was impressed with both the flavor profile it created and also how consistent the pit burned - it just locked on to 250 degrees and sat there. So, I did a second cook using the same setup and same result. My new go-to!

What type of lump and briqs did you use?
I tried this once and didn’t have good reaults. I was using JD XL Briqs combined with some Cowboy lump. I’m not a big fan of the JD briqs after trying a box. They burn hot but they disintegrate too soon. The Cowboy I used was kind of low in the bag with a bunch of small pieces. Some of this unfortunate burn was probably my fault and not having some backup.
I’m on my 2nd bag of JD XL lump. I really like this so far and have been using it primarily.

I will sometimes go 50/50 or so with Mexican charcoal/lump mesquite and Kingsford when doing steaks or chicken.
I like the extra heat and flavor the Mexican charcoal gives but sometimes I don’t want to go all out on it.

What type of lump and briqs did you use?
I tried this once and didn’t have good reaults. I was using JD XL Briqs combined with some Cowboy lump. I’m not a big fan of the JD briqs after trying a box. They burn hot but they disintegrate too soon. The Cowboy I used was kind of low in the bag with a bunch of small pieces. Some of this unfortunate burn was probably my fault and not having some backup.
I’m on my 2nd bag of JD XL lump. I really like this so far and have been using it primarily.

It was Weber briquettes, and XYLO lump charcoal.

I purchased Cowboy lump last year when I saw it at Costco here and vowed to never buy it again.

i did the same last evening with JDXL leftovers and some B&B briqs. cooked up a new recipe of chicken thighs with a bunch of Asian ingredients in the marinade. i'll be reproducing this recipe in the future and documenting it to share.

overall flavor was good, less smoke flavor than just JDXL alone which was what i was going for. i wanted a more neutral flavored cook and it worked.

I accidently did this last cook. There was a decent amount of B&B lump left over in my WSM, so I added B&B briquettes to fill in the gaps. I felt I got the consistent temps of briquettes and a bit of the lump flavor I like.

I bought lump 1 time to use on my kettle, way too much snapping and throwing cinders onto my meat, ran 2-3 cooks with it then finished the bag off in my smoker, will stick with Kingsford or other brand but no lump on the kettle

Back