Lucky me ☘️

Joe Zoots

TVWBB Super Fan
Found this last night while curb shopping. Dirty, but it works. This is my first ever Q. What is the best way to clean it, especially the lid?

Attachments

• 838958E6-A4E8-4F67-A181-051538F6A74C.jpeg
    838958E6-A4E8-4F67-A181-051538F6A74C.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 28
Joe,

Depends on how carried away you want to get. Based on your picture, the exterior looks like no need to be thinking about paint for a while. Even if you don't love the "titanium" color, it is baked on. I would just clean it up with Simple Green and not use anything too abrasive. On the inside, whatever you do is going to be undone in short order. So, why not just clean any real accumulated crud and leave the rest as seasoning. Sand blasting is what it would take to make it look new, but it might be tricky to get that done inside while not messing up the exterior. You can also wire brush with an angle grinder and cup brush. There are a few areas that has trouble getting to, though. And, again, it will be seasoned all over after just a few cooks.

The plastic parts should clean up with Simple Green. Then apply something like 303 Protectant or maybe Mothers Back to Black on the black parts.

Joe,

Depends on how carried away you want to get. Based on your picture, the exterior looks like no need to be thinking about paint for a while. Even if you don't love the "titanium" color, it is baked on. I would just clean it up with Simple Green and not use anything too abrasive. On the inside, whatever you do is going to be undone in short order. So, why not just clean any real accumulated crud and leave the rest as seasoning. Sand blasting is what it would take to make it look new, but it might be tricky to get that done inside while not messing up the exterior. You can also wire brush with an angle grinder and cup brush. There are a few areas that has trouble getting to, though. And, again, it will be seasoned all over after just a few cooks.

The plastic parts should clean up with Simple Green. Then apply something like 303 Protectant or maybe Mothers Back to Black on the black parts.
The lid has so staining. Simple Green. Got it

Congrats. That 320 looks nice. I used one of those for a long time. It is a very versatile cooker. Heats up fast, gets nice and hot, uses very little propane, easy and cheap to clean up. Take the burners out (2 screws) and use simple green and a heavy duty steel wool pad. Then shoot the hose in the tubes and stand up with the open end down to dry. While the tubes are drying do the same to the grates and use a 6 in 1 tool to scrape them good. Then just simple green and scrub the fire box and drip pan. When dry, assemble and test. You may need to poke holes in burner tubes if clogged with a small drill bit or similar. Then burn for 20 minutes and cook.

I have three or four of them. I need to rehab a couple. I gave one to the SIL. They are great grills but the profit margin on rehabbing them is a bit tight.

I have three or four of them. I need to rehab a couple. I gave one to the SIL. They are great grills but the profit margin on rehabbing them is a bit tight.
Funny but they are some of my easiest and profitable on an hourly bases as I almost never have to buy parts and they clean up so easy. I pick them up for $0-$50 and sell for $175-200 and usually only put in 2-3 hours.

Funny but they are some of my easiest and profitable on an hourly bases as I almost never have to buy parts and they clean up so easy. I pick them up for $0-$50 and sell for $175-200 and usually only put in 2-3 hours.
If you have to eat the cost of a grate it's going to be pretty tight.

If you have to eat the cost of a grate it's going to be pretty tight.
True - But I have been able to rescue all of the ones I have flipped. As I rather spend time than money I grind, chisel, chip, the old coating off and season the CI grates that are left if needed. But there are plenty available for under $50 and these on sale now for $30. I am thinking of getting to have for the future. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089215M1D/?tag=tvwb-20

Joe, I have not had good luck on my recent Q3xx pickups. While the grates are certainly usable, they are always the ceramic coated kind and once that stuff starts rusting and flaking off, I would not feel good about leaving them in a rehab even if I did clean up the grates well.

$30 is a no brainer. I just sprung for two sets. Thanks for that heads up. I also have a Q3xx with rotted out burners, which is very uncommon, so i will have to find an inexpensive set of burners as well.

Joe, I have not had good luck on my recent Q3xx pickups. While the grates are certainly usable, they are always the ceramic coated kind and once that stuff starts rusting and flaking off, I would not feel good about leaving them in a rehab even if I did clean up the grates well.

$30 is a no brainer. I just sprung for two sets. Thanks for that heads up. I also have a Q3xx with rotted out burners, which is very uncommon, so i will have to find an inexpensive set of burners as well.
True dat Bruce. I would never feel good about even the slightest chance of porcelain chip getting to someone's mouth. As for the burner(s) know the horrid luck I had with aftermarket ones from Amazon for the Q3xx.

Back