Lower Grate Fit 22.5 WSM

G Force

TVWBB Member
Friends-

Been wanting a WSM for a long time, and this year I scored big time on Fathers day! I did two racks of ribs yesterday as a trial and they were quite good for a first time. I have been doing all my smoking on a kettle, so the WSM is a lot easier, and it is HUGE!

I have two issues, one of which was resolved. The aluminum door had very poor fit, and I think it was due to shipping damage. Weber customer service is tops, and they have a new one on the way.

My other question is about the lower charcoal grate. It rests in the bottom bowl, right on top of the tabs on the three lower damper assemblies. The damper assemblies have those small tabs that fit in the hole, and stop the damper when it was closed. Well those protrude inside the smoker, and the grate rests on those. Yesterday when I was smoking moving the damper would raise and lower the grate slightly. The weight of the grate would open the dampers and not allow them to stay closed.

Anyone know what gives?

This problem was noticed early on, and several fixes were developed. Here is one. I think you could accomplish much the same effect with a fender washer (large diameter washer with a small hole). You'd probably have to bend the washer to make it concave, so it would fit against the inside of the WSM. Then, bend the top of the washer over enough to create a stable flat spot for the grate to sit on.
FenderWashermod.jpg

This is crude and not to scale, but maybe it will get the idea across.

Thanks Larry- I searched for a discussion but did not go back far enough. I will do something like your pic with a washer, or make a tab, drill a hole, etc.

Back