Low & Slow by Gary Wiviott

Two years ago when I starting thinking about getting back in BBQ I found his site with the five lessons. I think what you're seeing is nothing more than his brand of humor. If I remember correctly, he also praised the TVWB. He said it had a lot of good information. I believe his intention was to not to get you to cook only his way. IMHO, he was trying to teach the (his)basics so if things screwed up you wouldn't be trying to determine if the fault was yours, the TVWB, his or some other.

The great thing though - through his reference - I found this great site. BTW - I cheated on my first few cooks - I read his recommendations, recommendations on this site and used what I felt would work best for me.

I had a great 1st cook!!

His whole gimmick is that if you follow his plan exactly you will get good results, so don't mess around with the plan. I think he's afraid that the sheer volume of info here will tempt people who aren't solid in the basics yet to experiment, this forums open exchange of diverse ideas are the polar opposite of his rigid teaching style. I wouldn't take it personal, it's just marketing.

I do find it funny that he thinks we're all engineers, I looked over the five lessons on his site in the past and I passed on them because I thought he was making things more difficult than they had to be with his exact procedures.

I got his book yesterday and tried the KISS method... I was really impressed. The fire burned consistently hot several hours... I haven't had that kind of success.

When I get back from vacation, I will join his boot camp...

New to the forum and bbq. I have read this forum for several months....seems there are as many ways to Q as there are members; not to mention the variables: smoker, charcaol, temp, time, weather, meat, cook, etc.

So after you buy the smoker wear do you start ? I started with the 5 easy lessons and had instant success on lesson 1. Family was really impressed...two thumbs up...best chicken ever.

On to lesson 2 tomorrow.

A must read for first time smokers or long time smokers who need to sharpen the skills. The lessons focus on learning the craft by sight, smell, touch, and taste is right on....let the meat tell you when it is ready.....time and temp are guidelines not absolutes.

One thing I have noticed consistently when someone post a "what went wrong" the time and temp are always included and the replies are based on the desciption of the condition of the meat. A key to good Q seems to be the ability to read the meat.

Get the book; build a hot clean fire; learn to read the meat....perfect Q everytime !!!!!

Originally posted by Ron G.:
RE: Opinionated & Brash

If you live in this part of the country - you'll find a lot of people from the Chicago area that give-off that sort of "vibe". Native Chicagoans (at least, a lot of them) are not known for their "political correctness" in the way they get a point across. (Some take it on to a higher intensity than others.)

It's just the way they are wired - communication-style-wise.

LOL I have lived in the Chicago suburbs for all my life and I think the only people that seem as tuff are those in the east coast. Mainly Jersey and New York. I understand what your saying. Every time I travel a 100 mile or more from home I realize this and yes there are good people all over even in Chicago. In my business we ship high performance transmissions all over the world. With that being said I deal with all forms of people. Funny that you made the statement that you did. No offense taken. I personally was raised to speak my mind and to talk it the way it is. Opinions are just what they are and I have found there are more ways than one to get the job done. Especially with the topic's on this site. I believe that guidelines are important in any task so I guess it is what it is. I like to be upfront with people and to the point. I guess that is just who am I am. If that means I come across the wrong way to some oh well. I like to think I'm upfront with people and to the point. I feel it's just being real where I come from. I will give you the shirt off my back just don't try to steel it from me! I love this site and what it's all about. Cooking is my hobby and without you guys and the site I would be lost. I value each and everyone of your opinions and take them for what there worth. Thanks to all. Vince

I picked up his book but I haven't had a chance to start his lessons. I've already "cheated" and read most of the book before cooking a single thing. I did think he was a bit arrogant

I'm actually planning on doing his 5 lessons twice. Once with my WSM and then once more with my Brinkmann SNP. The Brinkmann was my first pit and I never really mastered it. Ever since I've cooked on my BGE and now my WSM, I've had a hard time going back to the SNP. But after reading his book I'm inspired to give it another go.

Originally posted by Ron G.:
RE: Opinionated & Brash

If you live in this part of the country - you'll find a lot of people from the Chicago area that give-off that sort of "vibe". Native Chicagoans (at least, a lot of them) are not known for their "political correctness" in the way they get a point across. (Some take it on to a higher intensity than others.)

It's just the way they are wired - communication-style-wise. If you ever participated on Gary's older website, you would find that the "Drill-Sargent" schtick is taken quite humorously.

Not to put too many words into his mouth - but the approach was alway that FOR BEGINNERS, if you are going to use his "5-Step Method" as a learning tool - just do it his way and don't ask questions (there IS a "method to his madness") Then, once you've done it his way, you should have developed confidence and a fundamental feel for how to use your WSM, and can then branch-out and start experimenting.

I'm not saying that he's 100% right or wrong - I voluntarily put myself through the original 5-Step, and was glad that I did.

Let me guess... You're a Packers fan too???!!!!

***This is meant as a joke...****

But me personally, I'd rather have people say stuff to me directly, than say it behind my back... So if that's a fault...

I recognized Gary walking by our site at the Westmont comp a couple of weekends ago. Hollered hello and he came over and spent the next 10 or 15 minutes shooting the breeze with us. I found him to be freindly enough, of course promoting his book, but not in an obnoxious way.

I too read his 5 steps before there was a book,and it was good information. Now only the first step is on the website, but I can't say I blame him for that. Why give away what you can be paid for?

I do like lump for two reasons, no filler means less ash, less ash means my fire doesn't get smothered. The other reason is I think the final product tastes better.

I think his "do not deviate" policy is a good one, at least until folks get to know thier cooker. As with any recipe, I always make it "by the book" the first time, then tweak as I see fit from then on.

Haven't read and don't plan on it .....people have been cooking good bbq before books...I like the info I get here if I like something I try it bbq ain't that hard drunk backwods redneck have been doing it for along time and some folks that can't even read or own a thermometer.

If you like what you cook that's what counts no reason to say somones else's way is wrong

I find his style a bit insulting. As far as Lump Vs Briquettes, I know a guy from out here in So Cal that just beat 159 teams at the Kansas City Invitational. Scoring Reserve Champ 2nd place using Kingsford Blue Bag (Minion)and two WSMs. The great thing is it was sponsored by Royal Oak. In my opinion the consistent temp is 10 times more important than the (so called off taste).

As a total newbie, his lessons are a great start for me. I'm not bothered by his writing style. He seems confident in his technique and this is how he demonstrates that I guess. On only my third cook I fired up some chicken thighs for 20 people at my MIL's 4th of July party. Rave reviews. (oh, and the hog apple bean recipe from this site
icon_smile.gif
)
Like others have said, these lessons seem to build a solid bbq foundation. This weekend the wife is away for four days so I'm planning on knocking off the last three lessons. Gonna drive my neighbors nuts with the fumes!

Man, if Wiviott accuses TVWBB of being a bunch of engineers, this is a pretty sorry bunch of engineers. Read the feedback to nearly any post asking for help here, and you continually see comments that reassure people that exact cooking temps aren't necessary, flavors/smoke/doneness should be adjusted to personal taste, and above all "done" is not determined by any measure of cook time, internal temp, or anything else other than subjectively feeling to see if the meat is tender. I hope engineers don't just jiggle a bridge to see if they think it's "done"!

I don't think his steps are a bad thing, since I made the mistake (and see others) starting out trying to take on too much. You read too many different posts on how to cook your first pork butt, and next thing you know you want to brine it, inject it, slather it with mustard, rub it with 150 different ingredients, smoke it at both high and low temps, foil one half of it, flip it, mop it, spray it with juice, stick it in a cooler, finish it in the oven, shred the meat, stick it in a crock pot, add more rub, add finishing sauce, add barbeque sauce, vacuum seal it, freeze it, reheat it in boiling water, add more sauce... and all the while not think about how you've just combined a dozen different techniques into one big hot mess. Wiviott's gig is to emphasize that you need to stay on a single track while you're learning, which really isn't a bad thing. If he uses an over the top writing style/persona, that's great, I'm sure I could write like some downhome country bumpkin if I thought it would help me sell a Texas BBQ cookbook.

As for help beyond the rudimentary aspects of smoking? One of the most recent posts in his rather-unused "5-Steps" forums is a link to "new celeb upskirt videos". I think I'll continue coming here for all my smoking and grilling tips, but I may need to do some further research on this other site...
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm working my way through the book, and while his style doesn't bother me his recipes do. For a beginner book they use too many exotic ingredients that your beginning BBQer just won't have in their kitchen. For example his roasted pepper mix that often referred to requires 5 different types of peppers! Maybe he can walk down to the store and get that kind of variety but anyone who doesn't live in the South is going to be SOL.

Originally posted by Steven Simpkins:
I bought the book as suggested by members on here and could not believe the way he ripped this website. He said not to use briquettes but to use lump charcoal. He sounded like if you did not use lump you were not barbecuing. The WSM book says to use briquettes. What are your feelings on briquettes vs lump and what do you think of the book. He also said not to listen to anyone on this website.

Steve

personally i think he is more interested in making money off people than anything else. normally when people have an axe to grind against another set of people its usually over money or religion.

bbq is not a religion so it would have to be over money since he is into using his books recipes and rubs to making money.

you can make better bbq using a wsm and kingsford blue bag than you will find in any bbq joint anywhere in the world.

i seriously doubt if you blind tested food cooked with lump and food cooked with briqs taht wiviot would be able to tell the difference.

to me he is a blowhard that would rather pound his own chest and bay at the moon than do what he calims and help people make good bbq.

there is no one way or technique to make bbq and if he doesnt get that then he has a personality issue none of us can help solve for him. some folks are just filled with hatred.

i have been smoking for a little over a year. I found this site, followed some tips and lessons. Now i make darn good bbq (so says everyone who eats it). I read about that book on here, and have tried a few of the recipes, i got thru lesson three, and at the request of my wife and friends DROPPED OUT! My smoke rings was smaller, and many of his recipes came out salty. I gave the book away to someone just starting off.

Some of it seemed like i was being talked down to, and a great deal was remedial. I was able to start my charcoal and maintain temps before the purchase of his book. Do people really have problems starting charcoal using a chimney???

But to each his/her own, not my cup of tea, i start my coals, put the meat on, let it come to temp cut two of the bottom vents to 50% and let it go. Since i learned to leave the wsm alone food comes out good.

Got "Low & Slow" as a birthday gift and I think I'm going to use the pages to light my Weber Chimney. Oops! Should have used newspaper. Guess I failed.

I read Gary's book cover to cover last weekend. Then skipped to the final lesson. LOL!

I ended up using Chris Lilly's recipe for pork butts, but I plan to use rub, marinade, and sauce tips from Gary's book on future cooks. Lots of good chicken cook tips.

The tone has to be taken tongue-in-cheek. I enjoyed it.

I'm sure it would work great to follow the steps as gospel, but even if you don't there is some good info and recipes in the book.

If you have a sense of humor, you will enjoy the book. If you are so much of an engineer type that you are offended, the joke is on you.

I actually laughed out loud at some of the things he said not to do, because I was doing them. Will I change? Maybe. Maybe not. But the book was a great read either way.

His style is not for me. For me to take direction you have to give direction to me kindly. I will listen, but do not try to force your opinion on me.
icon_smile.gif

As for this site, I havent used a wsm in a long time but i am still here because of the great info that is shared. My cooker is basically a wsm that weighs 500 lbs so I still feel like I fit in here.

I bought my first WSM in 2006 after discovering this site and reading the many comments and suggestions. Shortly after receiving it, I found Gary's site and read through his 5-Step program. I decided to try it and I'm very glad that I did. The most important lesson learned was how to use the vents to properly control the temperature. His 'in-your-face' demeanor was actually entertaining. It is 'his shtick' as Chris A accurately observed. I have his book and I really enjoyed some of the recipes and spice blends.

I have Low and Slow and like it(I got chastized for bouncing around the lessons, but I am not a beginner so I think it was ok). I also know Gary, even borrowed a WSM from him over the summer to check it out). He is a great guy, wrote a great book imho, and knows his "q".

As for lump vs briquettes, I prefer lump.

With the above said I am pretty open minded about bbq, as long as a person likes what they are turning out I dont care if they are saucing their ribs or not, or what they are smoking them on(WSM, offset, weber kettle, cabinet smoker, stick burner, propane smoker). The only thing I have a strong problem with is boil-b-q, and bake-b-q, or someone saying they make bbq pulled pork in a crock pot.

I feel bbq has enought room for alot of different methods, viewpoints, and bbq forums(i belong to a few).

Jim "its all good" Quinn

Back