Low/High Packer On

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
So I need to get a brisket cooked for the one maint guy I work with, B-Day next week. I bring in BBQ for my crew on their B-Days, but have expanded to a few others since they always pay me well when I bring BBQ to work. John the one maint guy is one of those who always gives me $5 or $10.
icon_cool.gif
So fast forward.
I'm at work this moring and my supervisor comes over to the press I run at 10:10 AM and ask how many forms are left on the job i was printing, I said 2. Well this press is done running for today and tomorrow, you can stay and come in tomorrow or wash it up after the 2 forms and see you Monday. Well He!! yeah, I'm outta here. Ran the 2 forms, washed up the press and out the door by 11:00AM. I took 2 vacation days, one for today, I can work up to 12 hrs per shift, so if you leave with only 4 hrs worked they let us take a vacation day, and one for tomorrow. Came home, put on the boots and fired up the bike and headed to Super Wal Mart in York for some packers. Go in and they have 10 out in the case too choose from, and down some in price $1.72 lb. Grab one I really liked and saw the vac seal was busted. Asked the lady stocking there what they do with them if the seal is broken?, says we throw em out. I explain I really wanted it, but since the seal was broken, I'm not paying full price. Says wait a min and comes back out, how about 1/2 price $0.86lb.). Cool beans I say so she put a new sticker on it and in my cart it went. So instead of buying the 2 I originaly went there for, I came home with 3. Along with 3 lbs. bacon, 3 lbs sausage, and 3 bottles salad dressing. Now I know my King tour pack on the bike is only rated for 25lbs. and I have 37lbs just in brisket in my cart. Oh well hope it holds. It did.
icon_biggrin.gif

So I put the broken vac pack brisket on when I got home. Hump lump, black walnut wood, and Head Country rub. I had the rest of the day so I cooked it at 250 till it reached 160º and seperated the flat from the point. Foiled the flat and threw the point on the lower rack for some burnt ends for the guys at work on Monday. As many of you know I don't do the point meat, it's a texture thing with me.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Made it through 2 huge thunder storms,(you can see how dark it is in that one pic at 6:30PM) Anywho, did a fattie (Texas BBQ Rub BB) along the low smoke way. Put 12 ABT's on when I foiled the flat, WSM is in high heat mode, cranking along at 350º. I did a brisket like this 3 or so weeks ago and really liked how I got better bark than all high heat. ABT's have about 30 min to go. Plenty of pics taken and a few more to follow. Thanks for Mr. Wayne Truelove keeping me company via the net during the whole cook. We had tons of fun emailing back and forth when the forum was down.
icon_cool.gif
Link to pics.

Don't think I've ever seen you write so much!!
icon_smile.gif

Great looking pictures...get one of you shooting the hoops!!

EDIT: The tattoo pic was a surprise!! It fits you dude!

Ok, I gotta ask. What happened to all of the Bob Evans sausage you recently bought? You could not have eaten it all yet..or could you?

Bryan, everything looks great. Are you happy with those gloves? I need to get some like that, that I can have strictly for BBQ.

Great price on the brisket!

Wow that all looks great, I have to make a run out their if the brisket is that cheap, best i can find is at renningers farmers market in kutztown, at 4.95 a lb.

Id love to come out and get some pointers some time...
The gloves look like the ones I just got from texasbbqrub.. they really seem nice to me so far.

Is the head country from headcountry.com?
How does it compare to the texassbbqrub?

Mark, Took 4 rolls out of the freezer tonight for a fattie cook some time this weekend, along with another packer for me. Got a nice 10 lb one for sammie meat.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tom, Very happy with the gloves. They are the Texas BBQ Rub $10.00 specials with free shipping, second pair.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Don't think you have your leather gloves on when moving lit lump around in the charcoal bowl, when in fact you have the neoprene gloves on. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.
icon_wink.gif

Eric, Super Wal-Mart should have the packers in your area. I'm working on getting a brisket cook Q&A together with some of the MD guys here on TVWBB. You can send me a email, it's in my public profile.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Don't ask me how I know, I just do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After five minutes of lighting some K one evening..., i noticed some un-ashed coals had fallen off of my pyramid, so I reached in and picked them up. Trust me they were lit, just no ash yet.
icon_frown.gif

Eric, headcountry.com yes. It's not at all sweet, and is on the salty side, but has nice flavor. I really like it, been using it for 5-6 years now. Those pics of the knife pointing at the brisket were for Wayne, he wanted to know where you seperate them at. It's very easy to tell when it's cooked, they litterally seperate on their own. Just run a knife through the soft fat and it comes right apart. Not the best photos, I was taking pics with one hand. The pic out through the garage where it looks like it's dusk is actually when the second storm came through at 6:30. Added a few more pics. Got the Coleman Power House Gas Lantern out, ABT's are done, and moved the point back up top, since the flat is finished and resting.

Been looking at the pics again, the pic of the ABTs ,before cooked, and the one on the bottom right has a unique wrap. Can you describe it and also, what did you stuff'em with?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
Been looking at the pics again, the pic of the ABTs ,before cooked, and the one on the bottom right has a unique wrap. Can you describe it and also, what did you stuff'em with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wayne, I do a fold over on the open end to keep the filling from oozing out, works very well. I start the bacon folded over the open end abiut an inch onto the pepper, then turn the bacon and wrap it up the usual way. Stuffing is PP out of a vac bag I had in the freezer from a spring butt cook with my 1-1-1 finishing sauce added when it was pulled (chicken stock, butter and sauce), Queso Blanco cheese, and a small squirt of Sweet Baby Rays. This was the last 12 of 36 peppers I bought at Roots market for ABT's this week. I'll have these for lunch tomorrow.
icon_biggrin.gif
More pics added. I sliced and cubed the point and into the pan they went. Put some Texas BBQ Rub Brisket blend on em. Will cook/melt that in for about 30 min then squirt on the Sweet Baby rays for my guys at work on Monday. They'll eat that hole pan in minutes.
icon_biggrin.gif
Hey they like it, so I'll make it for em.

Just noticed the pic updates....I'm envious of the burnt ends pics...haven't made them yet but that's what I hope they look like! Cool Beans man!!

12oz of love juice.....man, that is almost...hmmm....gotta stay forum friendly....so, that's a nice pyrex cup dude!!

EDIT: Where's LarryR after the last pics? lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
EDIT: The tattoo pic was a surprise!! It fits you dude! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks man, just got it done yesterday. I love it, and so did the guys at work. I got the same response, "That is so you Dude!" People have been telling me for years that they don't like my attitude, or I have a bad attitude. Well now all I have to do is lift my sleeve and say "How do you like me now?" or "Say Hellow To My Little Friend"
icon_biggrin.gif

wow Bryan, nice pics-all look superb. I think you've gotten your moneys' worth out of your wsm even if it never smoked again!

Bryan, great pics!!!! You were lucky at Super Wal Mart. Mine won't even deal with me when they get close to expiration date. They tell me they sell all their expired meat to a processing company that makes dog food. The only deals I can find are at the regular Wal MArt. Really like the looks of the bark .

Bryan, further clarification on your ABT's please. Are you only cutting a small section out of each pepper to insert the filling or are you cutting each pepper in half lengthwise? The pics look to me like they are full peppers, not halfs.
They look delicious by the way and have inspired me to do some tonight after work.

Steve, They are cut in half length wise, remove seeds, then stuff. I put the pepper back together then wrap with bacon. HTH

Back