Low Country Boil Recipe Request

I would also recommend throwing in a couple of pounds of whole fresh mushrooms. Along with the aforementioned whole bulbs of fresh garlic, they're tasty additions that soak up the seasoning, but don't alter the taste of everything else.

so having recently become a huge fan of whole garlic closes/heads - loving roasted garlic -how are you putting whole heads in the stew? Are you putting in a cheesecloth bag to keep the skin from getting in the stew - or are you putting a bunch of whole, peeled cloves in the stew?

Thanks! A buddy of mine wants me to do a low country boil for him at his wedding reception - I like the stock idead Kevin threw out there (rather than just old bay/crab boil) and I love the sound of whole garlic heads.

Thanks in advance!!

I do both, mostly the latter as I am usually wanting the cloves to stay in the stock. If I don't, I do the former.

One thing you can do, if you like the idea for your buddy's thing: roast a lot of garlic heads ahead of time, one each per serving of the boil, making sure that they are not over-carmelized which can make the garlic bitter (to avoid this I roast, enclosed in foil, at 350 - not the higher temps one often sees called for). Cool completely, cover, fridge to hold. When needed either rewarm or simply bring to room temp. Place a roasted garlic head in each serving bowl, top with a pat of butter and then hot broth, shrimp, potatoes, corn, etc., and serve with plenty of crusty bread for dipping (and to smear with the roasted garlic).

So I am looking to do a boil in my 42 quart turkey fryer for 20 people. I want to include: crawfish, shrimp, sausage, corn, and potatoes. How much do I need of each? There will also be coleslaw and potato salad. I did a shrmip boil once before and like Kevin said it turned a little bland. If I use the better than boullion lobster base do I just follow the directions on the jar and then add old bay? I will be throwing onions, garlic, and lemons into the pot as well. Don't want to mess up with seafood prices what they are. Thanks for the help.

Low Country Shrimp Boil
Posted on Jun 03, 2008 under Breakfast, Low Country, Main Dishes
A shrimp boil is a one-pot meal in the Low Country, usually cooked outside in big pots.

?1/4 lb. Keilbasa (or other spicy, smoked sausage) perperson
?1/2 pound Raw shrimp in shell per person
?3 Red bliss potatoes per person
?1 Ear of corn per person?2 Lemons
?Cayenne pepper
?Cloves
?Garlic
?Bay leaves
?Old Bay Seasoning
?Black pepper
?Tabasco
Optional:

?2 Small onions per person
?1 Carrot per person, cut into quarters

?1-2 crabs per person
Boil water in a large kettle on stove or outdoor cooker. Season water with salt and your choice of above flavorings along with the juice of two lemons or 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Add carrots, sausage and onions. Bring back to a boil. When potatoes and carrots are almost tender, add corn and crabs. Bring to a boil, then add shrimp. Cook a few minutes until shrimp are just done - they will be pink in color. Drain and pour into a basket or onto platters. Have cocktail sauce and Dijon mustard at hand.

Gerry--

If using lobster base make the stock a bit more than half strength. Season with Old Bay. Add any aromatics (garlic, carrot, celery, onion) and the potatoes (use 1 medium potato for every two people; quarter them) then bring to simmer. When the potatoes are half tender taste the liquid. Adjust with more base and/or Old Bay - a little at a time - or salt and pepper. Then add the sausage, cook a few minutes, then the corn, cook a couple more, then the lemons and the rest of the ingredients.

I'd go with 1/4-1/3 pound each shrimp and crawfish per person, 1/4 pound sausage/person, 1 corn-on-the-cob/person (I usually halve them first).

Here I go again, bumping 10 year old posts. I have been making seafood boils following the guidelines from Kevin K above and it really is the best. Doesn't matter what seafood you put in it. Just have everything in order and write down your timeline. I always have shrimp and crawfish but like to add blueclaws and oysters as well. I always make one along side bbq for the 4th of July. I have less and less leftovers each year. :)

This is what I do.

Enough water to cover everything

Add Two tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning per quart of water
3 to 4 small red potatoes per person
1/4 to 1/3 pound of kielbasa or smoked sausage per person, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 to 3 ½ Ears of corn on the cob per person
1/3 to 1/2 pound large fresh shrimp, unpeeled or peeled per person

Directions

Bring water and Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.
Add potatoes and cook for 7minutes.
Add corn and cook for another 7 minutes.
Add sausage and cook for 3 minutes more.(If precooked.) (If raw add at the same time with corn,)
Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes.

Drain immediately and serve.

Back