Low carb meat loaf with pics

Dave M

TVWBB Member
We had some family over this past weekend and decided to smoke a meatloaf with ham and cheese rolled into the middle. The recipe is from the "Low Carb and Lovin' It" show on FoodTV. It came out great, I took a couple of pictures.

We had around a 6.7 lb pack of ground chuck, so we just tripled the ingredients in the recipe (close enough). Also dumped in a couple cans of sliced mushrooms.

Following other threads I've read here, I used an empty foiled pan, 1 chimney of lit coals followed by a sprinkle more of unlit from the bag. 3 chunks of apple wood and all the vents wide open. The loafs went on parchment paper, what a great tip. They slid right off the rack when done and the smoke ring went all the way around.
icon_smile.gif

I waited until the 1 hour mark before putting the tomato sauce on top because I didn't want to inhibit smoke penetration. They hit 165 deg at the 2 hour mark. The family loved it, raves and 2nd and 3rd helpings all around. Next one will have an italian sausage down the middle.
icon_smile.gif

Dave, that looks great. One question. I use grated parmesan in my meatloaf. I think it adds moisture but seems to all cook out. Did any of the provolone remain inside after the loaf was done? I agree the parchment paper works great in the wsm. I'm always amazed at the smoke ring on the bottom. Thanks for the idea and the pics.

Griff

Hi Griff, the provolone is still there, but it doesn't look like there's as much as it seems there should be. Just knowing it's in there makes me happy though.
icon_wink.gif

Back