Low and Slow

Hea everyone just looking for a lite direction. I smoked my 1st bdrisket flat. Was very excited about doing it. I started out with a full basket of charcoal and lite about 15 coals once ashed.over i poured them in doing minion setup. I couldn't keep my temp low like 225 degrees but I managed to stop it at 250. Top vent wide-open and the bottom had 1 @ 2/3 the way open and the rest where closed. Any suggestions or what you do is mutch appreciated.

Brisket at 250-275 is what I usually try and run. Find it is still very tender. If you’re trying to do 225 you could try and close top vent partially, just make sure it is equally open or greater than bottom vent.

Hi Keith. I feel a little ridiculous commenting on a question when someone like K Kruger has seen it but if you did your smoke during the daytime in FL then 225 could be a little challenging. And it's not uncommon for me to start with ~8 lit coals.

If ambient temps are high - especially if the cooker is in the sun - it's a challenge, one of the reasons I dispensed with low/slow for ribs and brisket when in Florida or in Vegas. Low temps aren't necessary for either and it's a PITA. For butts I start them late evening or at night (I don't really care if it's 225 or 275 but since it's going overnight I shoot for lower using a deep waterpan); for bacon, fish I'm smoking, stuff that actually needs lower temps, etc., I mini-Minion and cook early mornings in most cases.

Back