Low and slow vs High heat?

Jack O

TVWBB Member
OK, I get it as far as cooking convenience the HH option is much better but, is there any opinion where low and slow produces a better end product? I know opinions are going to be all over the place but, just wanted more information as I learn how to BBQ! Thanks for your reply's.

i find that low and slow produces a more consistent product.

high heat affects different parts of the meat different. the shortened cooktime isn't worth the need to rotate so frequently.

this may not be as dramatic in a big offset smoker, but in my 22" bandit it is.

I like to do my ribs L&S, but I've moved my butts to HH. I don't notice much difference and my guests don't either, but not having to do an overnight is so wonderful that unless I found a huge difference I wouldn't go back.

You have to do brisket both ways and only then can you make your own decision. It's like cooking with or without a water pan.

I don't rotate or turn my brisket when I cook HH. Also there is a limit to "high" heat. I love the convenience of HH brisket. I can get it on in the morning, know that it will be ready for supper and hold it in a cooler before. It's all gooooooood
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have done both ways many times and they both come out good...depends how much time ya got!!

I also do butts that way and they come out nice......

What Gary S says.

Once you have fire control down cooking with a dry pan and HH is about knowing what "done" is. The window becomes much shorter with HH methods that's the challenge.

You can pass "done" very quickly. LS and water in the pan slows things down tremendously and stretches the window out. You have a longer opportunity to pull the product at the right time.

HH is not the be all end all, there will always be some things that are better done LS. But for ribs, brisket, pork shoulder HH or "higher heat" is fine. I used to do successful overnight cooks. Really not required as I've found out over time.

Found that out learning from MVP's on this site.

I stick with low & slow. For me it is all about escaping from the fast paced world and sitting back with my beer to watch the smoker or charcoal grill. There may not be much difference in the final product but there is a difference in my state do mind.

Mike

Thanks guys, and Ray I understand about the window of "done" being shorter and since I don't have a in-meat probe yet, the low and slow might be safer for me. I am retired and do have that extra time. I guess I will also try the HH with a brisket as a comparison without water in the pan.

One thing is for certain, whether you cook on a Weber ( or some other inferior pc of grilling/smoking equipment
icon_biggrin.gif
) you gotta know your pit to be able to have a good chance at consistent results. I say good chance because big chunks of meat all cook differently!!

me:ribs-pork butt-brisket 250-275
chicken 300-325
all temps measured at top vent, I will let a pork butt go higher...temp swings up dont bother me much. Ive done HH(290-325) brisket and just not completely satisfied with results.
My smoker likes 250-275 with minor vent adjustments, the highest ive seen it get was 325 without propping the door open. Only use foiled empty water pan.

I used to think different heats for different meats. Like for a steak, to me low and slow is not the way to go. For ribs both low/slow and high heat can work well. Chicken my preference is high heat, as I do not care for rubbery skin.
Brisket and for pulled pork, low/slow is good for me. There are very few written in stone methods for me. I like to experiment.

You can pass "done" very quickly. LS and water in the pan slows things down tremendously and stretches the window out. You have a longer opportunity to pull the product at the right time.
That is so true. When I cook HH I'm happy at 300-325 range that way it's not so extreme.

Like you I used analog therms and went out and took temperatures every once in a while when I thought things were getting close but now I have to say the Maverick 732 is one of the best accessories I ever purchased. It really nice to be able to know right where you are whether you're cooking L&S or HH.

I often just cook for the enjoyment of the cook!

Gary, I've seen reviews of the Maverick on Amazon and it seems like a fair number of reviews indicate longevity or durability issues with the Maverick. I wouldn't mind getting one but, I don't want to waste my money on a "sensitive" product. What experiences do people have with the Maverick?

Jack

I'll have to check that out Jack, I don't know. Mine has been fine but it is still new. Plenty of people on here seem to like them. You could always create a new post to see what everybody's experience with remote therms has been. Have you search this site for other posts?

I have searched here and read a number of posts. Looks like there were some issues with the earlier model but most everyone here seems pretty positive about the 732. Don't know about Amazon. I have read that you are not supposed to immerse the probes in water.

I bought mine from the largest BBQ store in Ont. Ontario Gas BBQ. They said it was their best selling remote.

I'd throw up another post and see what comes back.

I got my 732 from Amazon. I have 2 in fact. Used the first one all last summer, this winter and seems fine. Don't immerse probes.

I don't rotate my HH brisket. I do it fat down on grill and fat down in foil. I use a big turkey roaster foil pan and bend it some to fit in my 18 WSM and seal up with foil. Fat down 100% helps with better bark. Real bark is what you get with low and slow.

I find high heat more consistent because I can't get 225-250 at altitude with water and when I put weather in the equation the overnight cooks can get tricky. So I've taken to HH for brisket and butts.

But find what you like on your rig in your town and drive for consistency. Keep a log!!

is there any opinion where low and slow produces a better end product?
For brisket, no, not imo. For butt, yes - though it does not need to be 225. 250-275 is low/slow for butt. For ribs I prefer 325-375 for backs, 275-300 for spares (though I mostly do both at the higher temps) - but low/slow (~240-260; I see no need for lower) is great if you want to take the time.

Sunday the wife decided at the last minute she wanted ribs. Unwrapped them, added rub (no trimming), put them on 1 hour later at 300. Not the way I usually do it, but great ribs in 4 hours.

Back