Low and Slow vs. HH for Prime Briskets

Tim Holz

I have enjoyed decent results with cooking whole packers of Select and Choice grade (also CAB from RD and Wagyu from SNF) using both the HH and Low and Slow methods.

I am looking to convert from the low and slow approach to HH for comps. In the past I have seen posts where the HH is recommended for Choice and Select grades but not neccessarily for briskets with a higher marbling/fat content. Looking for some explanations on the reasons why one should consider sticking with low and slow (225 to 265 pit temp) versus HH with higher fat content briskets. Out of convenience at comps, I would prefer to cook using the HH method, but was wondering if there were reasons for not doing this if I were to use CAB or Wagyu briskets.

Better beef is going to have a better flavor than lesser quality regardless of cooking method. However, better beef means more fat, and the HH method doesn't take the time needed to render out as much fat as cooking slower. That said, as long as you don't turn in burnt ends that are still fatty, you should be good since flat slices aren't going to be the issue. I'm not an expert on the HH method and I wouldn't even THINK of cooking a Wagyu brisket fast and foiled, but you might think about doing a fair amount of trimming.

Very well marbled Wagyus and Primes are the only briskets I cook low/slow - for precisely the reasons Dave mentions.

I don't know if you can group CAB in with Wagyu briskets, I've seen CAB packers that would otherwise be graded choice or even select if they weren't angus beef due to the low level of marbling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I don't know if you can group CAB in with Wagyu briskets </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Holz: low and slow (225 to 265 pit temp) versus HH with higher fat content briskets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a world of difference between 225 and 265 in cooking time and results. Why is Low and Slow versus High Heat? I prefer a middle of the road approach to heat.

CAB is define as a hide that is 51% black so yellow fat Holstein qualifies for CAB if it's more black than white.

I constantly run into people hunting for Brisket success while ignoring the quality of the meat. Sources that yielded great results a year ago are now yielding just OK results now. My advice is buy a case of quality brisket at a time and deep freeze what you don't use within 30 days from packing. Right now I like Stirling Silver but there are other good brands out there. Yes I have worked for Cargill in the past.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My bad to lump CAB in with Wagyu. What I meant to say was briskets with more marbling and fat content... poor choice of words on my part.

Regarding the temp range for "Low and Slow"... I normally cook briskets at 250-260 - which I consider to be low and slow.

Thanks again!

Myron does HH with Wagyu/Prime so it can be done w/ good results but he does inject the heck out of it. I've only done 1 SRF Wagyu but I did it normal LnS on a Stumps offset I used to have. I might try a HH prime which I can get locally easier but have mostly done angus choice HH.

Sure, one can go HH with Primes/Wagyus. Injecting is wholly unnecessary but I imagine he's shooting for the faux 'beefy' flavor and texture that judges seem bent on choosing.

Walk around a bbq contest these days and it smells more like a bullion factory than wood smoke and meat cooking.

If I could find a Prime brisket that had not been frozen there is no question I would do it at 240* F. Low and Slow.

When I run across Prime i don't find it frozen but it shouldn't make a difference if it is - as long as it was frozen correctly.

Meat ships at 26-28?F, which is not considered frozen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Holz: low and slow (225 to 265 pit temp) versus HH with higher fat content briskets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a world of difference between 225 and 265 in cooking time and results. Why is Low and Slow versus High Heat? I prefer a middle of the road approach to heat.

CAB is define as a hide that is 51% black so yellow fat Holstein qualifies for CAB if it's more black than white.

I constantly run into people hunting for Brisket success while ignoring the quality of the meat. Sources that yielded great results a year ago are now yielding just OK results now. My advice is buy a case of quality brisket at a time and deep freeze what you don't use within 30 days from packing. Right now I like Stirling Silver but there are other good brands out there. Yes I have worked for Cargill in the past. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^ This man knows what he is talking about. And I want to add that there are many ways to achieve great BBQ.

This is no attempt to hijack the thread, but I want to comment--and concur with--the sentiments around bullion.

In general....gimme a second to explain....I think a lot of BBQ has too much flavor. Injections, marinades, rubs, mops, sauces....I find myself cutting back on all of that, and, in the case of ribs, cutting back on the smoke, too.

I recently had some S&P-only spares with a Eastern NC vinegar sauce. Wow, that tasted good. Very clean. You could really taste the meat and a simple, light smoke.

Anyhow, thanks for indulging me. That's where my cooking style is heading.

I do not like to cause problems but I am tired of comp cookers being stereo typed that we all use sweet, whatever garbage that many claim that we all use. Just isnt fair.

I also agree that simple can be best. I grew up on salt & pepper ribs. love them still. Actually I grill salt & pepper chicken breast that I serve cold with salads every week at home. My family really enjoys salad night which can be 3 times a week or more.

Back to the subject. We have tried fast, slow, smothered in all kinds of stuff and failed miserably. Now we use high quality meat, a simple rub, injected with a concoction that is mixed with a SMALL amount of a moisture retainer, slow smoked, and rested for at least a couple hours. Right or wrong that is how we do it, and it taste great to us and most of the time to the Judges. High heat is great if you are in a hurry and use lesser quality meats. Great idea, but if we buy a $100.00 brisket Im taking my sweet time.

I don't cook comps often but I have decent success when I do. But I'd "never, never, never" did I say never, cook comp style for friends and loved ones at home. I'm trying to win not cooking food I want to eat at a comp.

We cook exactly what we like. We "right or wrong" cook the same for comps as we do for friends and family. The 2 bite wow factor may be true but we hope that ours is good enough to where the Judge wants to eat the whole piece.

I know most Pros cook for the Judges but we dont go down that path. I have a little more faith in my fellow man then maybe I should but we roll the dice with what we love, and with some success too. At least our leftovers are great! That is why "i guess" that our chicken has done so well. It is WAAAAY off the comp path. Different isnt always a bad thing and that is the point I was trying to get out in my earlier posting..

Dale, you are definitely the king of chicken.
icon_smile.gif

Back