Lost my impact driver

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well, I misplaced my Rigid 1/4" subcompact impact driver. I honestly am amazed at how dependent I was on that thing in working on my grills. I had a reassembly to do yesterday on a completed rehab and immediately realized it was missing and after about ten minutes working without it, I gave up and spent the next thirty minutes scouring the garage, driveway area where I work, house and even my truck without luck. I muddled through the rest of the reassembly cursing everytime I needed the impact. The heat and humidity made it all the worse. I got it done and already have a potential buyer coming tonight for it. So, this morning I go out to start my next Silver B and immediately that feeling hits me when I reach for the Impact. Again, I muddled through the disassembly and get it done, but, I simply cannot see myself doing without it going forward. I hate to do it, but I am just going to buy another one. I feel like I am working on a car motor without a set of socket wrenches.

Well, I misplaced my Rigid 1/4" subcompact impact driver. I honestly am amazed at how dependent I was on that thing in working on my grills. I had a reassembly to do yesterday on a completed rehab and immediately realized it was missing and after about ten minutes working without it, I gave up and spent the next thirty minutes scouring the garage, driveway area where I work, house and even my truck without luck. I muddled through the rest of the reassembly cursing everytime I needed the impact. The heat and humidity made it all the worse. I got it done and already have a potential buyer coming tonight for it. So, this morning I go out to start my next Silver B and immediately that feeling hits me when I reach for the Impact. Again, I muddled through the disassembly and get it done, but, I simply cannot see myself doing without it going forward. I hate to do it, but I am just going to buy another one. I feel like I am working on a car motor without a set of socket wrenches.
I swear every time you tell a story, I chime in with “this happened to me too!” But it really did. I’ve looked everywhere but…I’ve given up hope.

I have a heavier Ryobi one and a much lighter, smaller DeWalt one. I lost it a couple months ago and I KNOW I must have left it in someone’s driveway after breaking down a grill to fit in my SUV.

The Ryobi is fine but it’s much bulkier and can be annoying in some instances.

In fact, I have the receipts lol 🧾

IMG_7068.jpeg

I can recommend and Atomic 20v Dewalt. I think if I were to try another, I might go with the Dewalt 12v or the Makita 12v, they seem very compact too. Keep us up to date on what you buy and gives a review on how you like it. Although I can see you buying another ridgid since you are already invested in that family of batteries.
Sorry for your loss. I to have lost mine only accidently find it later. I feel your frustration, Bruce.

I can recommend and Atomic 20v Dewalt. I think if I were to try another, I might go with the Dewalt 12v or the Makita 12v, they seem very compact too. Keep us up to date on what you buy and gives a review on how you like it. Although I can see you buying another ridgid since you are already invested in that family of batteries.
Sorry for your loss. I to have lost mine only accidently find it later. I feel your frustration, Bruce.
The Atomic is the one I lost 😞

Bruce and everyone else et al I've been incredibly happy with my Bosch 12V brushless tools in the small lightweight size. Very powerful for their size and weight, but easy to handle long lasting charge too.
Bruce I am going through the same thing at the moment with one of my Bosch 12V drills and it's battery.

never lost a power tool, but I recently had my trusty 3/4" socket with 2" extension I used to break golf cart lug nuts with and my almost new fancy 3/8"ratchet and a handful of my sockets both disappear within a week.

I work on golf carts at people's houses and I'm sure I left them around somewhere, but I feel ashamed to ask for some reason.

Def kills you when you REALLY need them to get a job done quickly, but on the bright side I now have a great excuse to buy more high end tools at estate sales.

Yah, I would consider Bosch as I like their reputation. But I have batteries and chargers for the Ridgid tools, so I try to stick with it. And, yah, I lost the battery with it as well. I am 95% sure it is inside the house or the garage or maybe in a tote full of grill parts from a grill I was working on. And, I will probably find it sooner or later. When I do, one will have a dedicated 7/16 socket on it and the other will be used with other bits.

I also have a small cordless cheapy HF (Bauer) battery powered screw driver and that has become an essential tool for my grill rehabbing. I have two now. I had one from 2-3 years ago but I lost the charger for it. So, I bought another one and share the charger between the two. Very handy tool for screws on the grills and in fact, I used that today in breaking down my latest rehab in place of my 1/4" impact. It just cant break cook box bolts or remove manifold bolts like the impact can.

I just ordered another Ridgid. Same model as the one I lost. It worked great for what I needed plus, like you say, I already am invested in their platform for batteries and chargers. Too bad the LSA on them doesn't cover loss. LOL
Mark the handle of the new one in some way so that when you find the old one (and you will) you'll know it's the one you lost, and not the new one you bought. ;)

A few minutes after bringing the new replacement home you'll find it! If you aren't committed to the batteries you currently own, I suggest the Hercules line at Harbor Freight. I have a large collection of DeWALT Atomic 20V tools (saws, fans, impact, drills, spot light, stretch-long car work light, flood light, batteries, charger, fast chargers) and love them. But their quality has gone down (new chucks that drop bits) while their prices have gone up. Borrowed my neighbor's Hercules hammer drill because mine is corded and too long for the job on hand and was sold on Hercules. Not for a contractor, but for the home owner, more than enough power.

I had the same thing happen to me, but with a nail gun. I finally gave up looking for it and bought a new. The old one turned up before I even opened the box on the new one.

Yah, I would consider Bosch as I like their reputation. But I have batteries and chargers for the Ridgid tools, so I try to stick with it. And, yah, I lost the battery with it as well. I am 95% sure it is inside the house or the garage or maybe in a tote full of grill parts from a grill I was working on. And, I will probably find it sooner or later. When I do, one will have a dedicated 7/16 socket on it and the other will be used with other bits.

I also have a small cordless cheapy HF (Bauer) battery powered screw driver and that has become an essential tool for my grill rehabbing. I have two now. I had one from 2-3 years ago but I lost the charger for it. So, I bought another one and share the charger between the two. Very handy tool for screws on the grills and in fact, I used that today in breaking down my latest rehab in place of my 1/4" impact. It just cant break cook box bolts or remove manifold bolts like the impact can.
Is this what you're describing as the battery powered screw driver?

IMG_7102 Medium.jpeg

Well, my new one is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. So, I guess the lost one will turn up this afternoon.
Ok Bruce, I just found mine, so you can find yours now.
I legitimately don’t even know why I decided to open this storage compartment today. I was just like “I wanna remember what it looks like inside there”. And the rest is history.
Plus further proof that I’m an idiot for putting it there and closing the door to begin with. Literally since May. Bonus is that it has my 7/16 Socket that I lost also attached to it 😂

IMG_7470.jpeg

LOL. Yah, I had a good 6 point 7/16" socket in mine as well. I had been using that same socket for 5 years until I lost it. That ticks me off almost as much as loosing the impact.....which is still lost.

Back