Looking for stuffed chicken breast ideas

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I'm helping plan and cook a sit down meal for 250. This is a fund raiser ($12/plate) for the local community choir. All my group has to do is work the back of the house; no serving. Input from the choir group indicates they'd like a poultry dish. With the oven limitations we're leaning towards a stuffed breast. So what I'm looking for are ideas of the 'stuffing' portion. I'd probably brine the chicken but would like to include some ingredient that would add a little moisture to the meat as well. I'm thinking along the line of including ingredients such as mushrooms, artichokes, spinach, shallots, etc. Perhaps some soft cheese but I don't want that to be the main ingredient as we may have to hold the breasts for a short period before serving. That said, I'm concerned that too much of the cheese stuffing would ooze out. Bread crumbs are common, but they may absorb some of the juice; I'm not convinced on the crumbs yet. In the back of my mind I'm thinking a nice light sauce could finish off the meat also. What are your thoughts?

Paul

Me, I'd go with close to what you're thinking: mushrooms or, better, a duxelles, which would cover mushrooms and shallots plus give you a butter addition; artichoke, Swiss chard, and for binding would consider ground toasted pine nuts, a little fresh bread crumbs and a little asiago (which would add flavor as well).

A simple to make chicken velouté for the sauce, perhaps with a touch of wine, would hold well and would add more chicken flavor. Sprig of thyme garnish - voilà.

Pine nuts; nice touch. I had thought of a semi-hard cheese like asiago or parm/regiano; glad to see you concur. Thanks Kevin.

Back