Looking for some quick help

Mark Orth

TVWBB Member
I'm smoking 5 racks of spare ribs and I'm using one of the Weber rib racks. They all fit on the top rack but they're awfully close together. Didn't know if I should run out and buy one for the bottom rack to spread them out.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Orth:
I'm smoking 5 racks of spare ribs and I'm using one of the Weber rib racks. They all fit on the top rack but they're awfully close together. Didn't know if I should run out and buy one for the bottom rack to spread them out.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They do fit tightly in the racks, which causes airflow issues. You could rotate them periodically, which is a PITA, but if you have the time to get another rack, I'd do that.

Bill

if they are st louis trimmed, you could put 3 in the rack on top grate and roll the other two and put them on the bottom grate

Id just leave them all on. As the fat starts to melt, there will be more room. They look crowded now but It will not affect the cook

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Id just leave them all on. As the fat starts to melt, there will be more room. They look crowded now but It will not affect the cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, agree. I put 6 BB's in a rack on the top grate and they cooked fine. As long as you have airflow between them, all will be well. I flipped them during the cook. The the side that the bones were touching the grate went up top towards the lid about 3 hrs into the cook. HTH

Ribcook001.jpg

How did you get 5 racks of ribs in a Weber rib rack? All the racks I've seen have "slots" for up to four racks of ribs. If you're using this rack I'd remove one of the racks and lay it across the top of the four racks of ribs.

Or as tony said, roll two and throw them on the bottom. Rack.

Looks like the lid won't go on, but I know it did. I got try that on Friday as I am cooking some ribs for a pot luck where we are bowling. Should be fun along with some stuffed shrooms.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Id just leave them all on. As the fat starts to melt, there will be more room. They look crowded now but It will not affect the cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, agree. I put 6 BB's in a rack on the top grate and they cooked fine. As long as you have airflow between them, all will be well. I flipped them during the cook. The the side that the bones were touching the grate went up top towards the lid about 3 hrs into the cook. HTH

Ribcook001.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I have to disagree here. Mark's talking about spares here, not BB's. Here's a pic where I did some prety thick spares on a non-Weber rack but as you can see, the meat on the outside ribs pulled back whereas the meat in the inside racks did not. Reason? No air flow and the proximity of the cold meat being together. YMMV.
icon_wink.gif

Well, I gotta reboot before I can post the pic 'cause I'm using a POS PC... Be back in a few with the pic..

Bill

K .. Here it is.

Gotta make sure they are standing up. Use tooth picks up top to help. Yeah Bill, if they are laying over like in your pic, no good for airflow.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Gotta make sure they are standing up. Use tooth picks up top to help. Yeah Bill, if they are laying over like in your pic, no good for airflow.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, they look pretty "upright" to me, at least when they started. Come on, Bryan .. You're starting to sound like Larry!
icon_eek.gif

Bill

Bill, I call it the way I see it. The first pic you posted, they were a leaning.
icon_wink.gif
If you rotate and flip, I see no problems IMO. But you know what they say about opinions.....
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill, I call it the way I see it. The first pic you posted, they were a leaning.
icon_wink.gif
If you rotate and flip, I see no problems IMO. But you know what they say about opinions.....
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What ever, Bryan. Yeah, I do rotate and flip now but on that cook, I didn't. If you look closely at the pics side by side, you'll see that they're in the same position at the finish as when they started. That's why I posted the original pic disagreeing with you and why I recommended a 2nd rack. Everyone has different experiences and that was mine. You have yours. But why fight with me about mine? I'm just trying to help mark out but you want to play.

Yeah, must be the Blue.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill

BTW, do you ever answer emails?

Hey, no need to drag me into this, LOL! I was simply saying the Weber rib racks that I'm familiar (see picture below) with have 4 "slots" for ribs and the OP may have slid two racks into one slot this creating his concern and this post.

weberribrack.jpg

Bill I have the same rack as in your picture and love it! Paid something like $4 for it at Walmart, best $4 I've ever spent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
But why fight with me about mine? I'm just trying to help mark out but you want to play.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fight
icon_confused.gif
I was just voicing my opinion on this public forum, same as you. And I'm trying to help Mark as well.
icon_wink.gif
Just because we have a different opinion about how to rack the ribs, don't really think that's called fighting.
icon_wink.gif
As always, JMO
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
But why fight with me about mine? I'm just trying to help mark out but you want to play.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fight
icon_confused.gif
I was just voicing my opinion on this public forum, same as you. And I'm trying to help Mark as well.
icon_wink.gif
Just because we have a different opinion about how to rack the ribs, don't really think that's called fighting.
icon_wink.gif
As always, JMO
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, you're right. Too many opinions on here.

Bill...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
wow, some of these threads are like a steelers/ravens game
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL You should have seen some of the "bleep" going on 4 and 5 years ago.
icon_eek.gif

Sorry I got involved in this. I shall reserve my "opinions" here on out.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry I got involved in this. I shall reserve my "opinions" here on out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For real THIS time? <poke>
icon_biggrin.gif
jk Bill

Back