Looking for new ( BLACK ) high heat roll on

This is at Lowes and here is a link to a members results on page 9.

1623838052799.png

Last edited:
Hi JimV, I am ok with the rust oleum roll on for the firebox.My primary concern is coverage. Aesthetics are secondary

I am wondering if the paint reacts weird with cast aluminum?

Well all I can say is that I have had mixed results. I do my best to prep very well and I roll on like I am painting a show car. Some grills for reasons unknown have turned out a little richer black than others........my answer to that is I was using the old formula. The only other factor would be painting in colder temps may make it darker as I have been painting in the 75 degree range lately with brown results. If Rustoleum has a team of people that watch for internet posts I hope they hop on and explain but when I called them they mentioned I could top coat w high heat ultra spray....but only after the roll on had cured.....and she suggested to basically start as a new project.....scuff up...clean....then coat. Honestly she didnt sound knowledgeable at all so I put no merit in what she said.
I have painted over original black end caps and I have painted over bare metal....this new stuff turns out brown. If u dont care about how it looks and coverage is what your looking for then go for it. It will not cover bare metal in one coat......it will freshin up a painted cook box to look clean and new in one coat.....it will just be brown :( This isnt so bad on the cook box.....its the end caps that need to be a rich black.

This is at Lowes and here is a link to a members results on page 9.

View attachment 30470
Hey! You have the same annoying guy that wanted to help me last week.
I noticed that the title description says "Gloss High Heat Black....", but the verbiage in the bullets says "rich satin finish".

Okay, I am the guy who used the Krylon 1000 in the can. I only used it and have used it for touching up the control panel for example where it starts to rust around the edge as well as the large drip pan. I used a brush moved onto those flux brushes from HF which work real well throw them away after you use them.

So my experience and I never used a roller but this paint needs to be mixed really well it tends to settle to the bottom of the can. So if for example you bought it and intended to use it that day have Lowes put it in the machine and shake the crap out of it. It dries very quickly and it is a gloss black no brown at all. If you are using a brush and I assume you want to use a roller keep it loaded with paint do not backbrush move quickly it dries that fast and you will be pissed if using a brush to try to and go over it before it dries leave it alone do a second coat.

I only used the Krylon paints for spraying really was not happy with the Ultra the nozzles are crap. If it was me I would not use a foam brush for rolling your looking for a bit of texture test it out if you can on some metal. You won't save your rollers or your brushes they are one time use with this paint.

Okay, I am the guy who used the Krylon 1000 in the can. I only used it and have used it for touching up the control panel for example where it starts to rust around the edge as well as the large drip pan. I used a brush moved onto those flux brushes from HF which work real well throw them away after you use them.

So my experience and I never used a roller but this paint needs to be mixed really well it tends to settle to the bottom of the can. So if for example you bought it and intended to use it that day have Lowes put it in the machine and shake the crap out of it. It dries very quickly and it is a gloss black no brown at all. If you are using a brush and I assume you want to use a roller keep it loaded with paint do not backbrush move quickly it dries that fast and you will be pissed if using a brush to try to and go over it before it dries leave it alone do a second coat.

I only used the Krylon paints for spraying really was not happy with the Ultra the nozzles are crap. If it was me I would not use a foam brush for rolling your looking for a bit of texture test it out if you can on some metal. You won't save your rollers or your brushes they are one time use with this paint.
Brian, I bought a can of Krylon semi gloss black and tried it out on my frames. I was very happy with it. I like the fact that it is a close match in sheen to the Rustoleum Ultra High Heat which I use on the frame around the areas where the cook box is in close contact. I was using Rustoleum 2X gloss and that is a bit more of a contrast against the Rusto High heat ultra.

Richard I have tried just about every method but Bruce and Larry understand the actual science. Which paint are u gunna use on that clean cook box?

Richard I have tried just about every method but Bruce and Larry understand the actual science. Which paint are u gunna use on that clean cook box?
I have the brush/roll on high heat Rustoleum, spray can high heat Rustoleum and Krylon spray can. Not sure which I will use. Cannot find the Krylon brush/roll on near me.

Well Rustoleum screwed up another one of my resto's :( I should be careful talking like that but if I am doing something wrong I cant figure out what it is. I called Rustoleum and they were no help so here we are. I went to the trouble to strip the end caps on my current project and due to the light scratching from stripping I wanted to use the roll on for its masking abilities. I knew right away I was screwed again......yep....brown! See pics. I even tried a few tricks on this grill. I sprayed the cook box flat black with High Heat spray.........then I tried to spray Ultra over the flat but it didnt work.....for some reason the flat dominated the gloss. So then I rolled the Rusto roll on over the flat high heat spray.....I assume the two paints will play nice together. Of course the cook box is now brown. Then I painted the end caps.....roll on bare metal....turned out brown......but here is the question.....I want to try to top coat this brown crap with High Heat Ultra.....but when should I do it?????? after 24 hours? After a burn in? When? I sure hope the black gloss will darken this brownie. :( I need a roll on solution sooooooooooooon.View attachment 30454View attachment 30457
Jim, I was reading your thread again and noticed on the lip of the can pictured above there is a brown and a black drip on the side. Both colours from the same can? Is it not mixed enough or is it a chemical reaction taking place after the can has been opened and air has got in? Did you thin it with something to try to get the texture you wanted which changed the colour? This is strange and I would like to figure it out.

Sorry for the slow reply......yes I would love to figure out the issue with the brown finish of my Rustoleum. I see what u see on the can but it is probably wet black and dry brown. Its hard to explain but I swear one time I was applying paint and then went back in for another roll after I got everything coated wet......then right before my eyes I swear I saw the paint flash a rich black coming off of my roller against the wet brown........I was like there it is!!! Rich black.......I contacted Rustoleum 2 or 3 times hoping to get an answer to this problem....I even asked for someone with more experience and still no answer. To answer one of your questions.....no I did not thin with anything.

A couple of thoughts........
Maybe rolling on creates air bubbles...I always use a roller
I think air temp and humidity is the real issue....I am usually prepping in pretty hot humid environments
Maybe where I store my paint gets too hot?
Has anyone else had this brown finish issue????

Jim, I have even had it with spray Krylon high heat ultra a couple of years ago when I painted my WSM Mini and again this year with a set of end caps. So it is not just the roll/brush on.

Attachments

• A96976D4-9703-43E8-9AAE-86E9A7F550AD.jpeg
    A96976D4-9703-43E8-9AAE-86E9A7F550AD.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 7

Back