Looking for guidance - Stick with my Q? Or take on a Genesis restoration?

LeeHarvey

TVWBB Pro
It's been a year and a half since I rescued and rehabbed my Q200, and while I like having a gasser for all the typical reasons, I'm wondering if it would be worth it in the long run to enter the world of Genesis preservation. Some background:

I recently learned the hard way why you don't leave propane under pressure in the regulator when the temperature turns cold - the new Weber replacement regulator that I got when I first picked up the Q died because of my own ignorance. I refitted the grill with a stainless-clad regulator hose, so now I'm looking at a Steak Saver or similar contraption if I want to go back to 1 lb disposables. No great shakes there - you can pick up a similar piece for 12 bucks on Amazon. I've also applied gentle persuasion to get the old feet into the folding cart intended for the newer Q grills, and I've mounted an electronic ignitor - that took some silicone adhesive and sealant to get in place, but as long as you don't go looking behind the curtain, it's a pretty slick setup. I haven't permanently modified anything on the grill, but I have made a few functional modifications that I'm thinking would be selling points. If it would help, I could add a thermometer to the lid for $10 and ten minutes of labor, too. Regardless, I'm thinking I could get as much for it as I'd need to embark on my next endeavor.

I've got an itch for a Genesis Platinum C - but I'm betting it could be satisfied by a Silver or Gold C, or one of the older variants that was similar. I'm not even really married to the idea of having a side burner if there's a consensus that it's not a big value add. I do want to have the extra space on the right either way, so I'd guess that I'm looking at a Gold B or a frankengrill - I'm not really familiar with the table configurations before the transition from numbers to metals to denote model levels. I know that maintenance and upkeep will be more involved with the bigger grill, but I'm finding that I enjoy the tinkering. I might even go for a 300-series if I can find the right one - I know that the cabinet is a nightmare if you don't stay ahead of rust.

I'm well aware that I would have gotten a different spectrum of answers if I had posted this in the Q section of the forum, but I guess I'm fishing for enablers. If anybody has any particular red flags to look out for in prospective grills, feel free to shout them out.

Thanks for listening.

The cabinets can be dealt with so you shouldn’t be too worried.

Stick with a common model that still has parts support.

I like the genesis abc’s and the spirits 2005 to 2012. Lots of interchangeable parts and the grills are still around.

The big genesis 300s are good too.

Be careful with the old pre-2001 and summits. Part support is getting more challenging

Yeah, I’ve read a few Summit horror stories, and know that there’s no way I’d want to take on that kind of project. I take it 2001 is the break point between the 8+5 and the 5-bar Flavorizer designs?

This is like walking into a crack house and asking the inhabitants if you should try crack! 🤣🤣

It all comes down to either what you need to meet your cooking needs, or perhaps to just satisfy your tinkering itch. You really can't go wrong if you are patient and pick up a good specimen. They are easy to work on, and for most, parts are readily available. My take on the side burner is that it's nice to have on occasion, but I don't use mine that much. In the summer, it's useful for boiling up corn and stuff. Sometimes I use it as a sauce warmer if I'm basting something......other than that, it's just something I have to clean! 🤣

I have a Summit Platinum, as do several other folks around here, and they are great grills EXCEPT for the firebox. The enameled steel has a tendency to rust away (usually in the front where the burners enter the box). The other issue is that the flavorizers are unique to those grills, in short supply, and EXPENSIVE (~$300 a set). Mine is in decent shape, and I'm exploring options to get a piece made to replace that front firebox piece. Other than that, the grill is bomb proof, and benefits from an all stainless frame and cabinet. Double bonus, I picked it up for free..... :)

If I were you, thinking about picking up my first Weber rehab, I'd stick with a Genesis of some flavor. Read through as many threads as you can so you know what to look for. And if you find one, don't hesitate to ask here about it (pics are great), or ask about what to look for when you inspect it.

Good luck!

R

In 2000 the genesis silver B had a 5 bar cookbox.

Some parts are getting hard to find for the earlier genesis with 13 Flav bars. The bottom pan is one part that is hard to find.

The tray under the cookbox that slides in and out and holds the grease drip pan.
Yeah, that’s what I linked. I understand that the 300-series one with the offset drip pan and the heat shield is getting hard to find, but I didn’t know that it was a problem with older models.

Yeah, that’s what I linked. I understand that the 300-series one with the offset drip pan and the heat shield is getting hard to find, but I didn’t know that it was a problem with older models.
A couple of months ago, the drip pan for the 300 series could be ordered from Weber if your grill is registered with them and you call their customer service.

The Genesis x000 Genesis 1,2,3 pan is a center mounted pan like the pan on a Silver B, yet it is wider. I don't believe these can be found anywhere so used or eBay etc is the only option.

Here's my .02.

presuming a three bar, east west genesis, the first choice is 13 bar or 5 bar.

13 bar ( 1999 and earlier )
advantages:
-depth of the cookbox evens the heat out and makes room for rotisserie cooks
-cart style is more classic looking with wood slats
disadvantages
- wood upkeep is more work
- parts availability
- 13 flav bars are a little more expensive than 5 bar

5 bar ( 2000 through 2005? or 2006?)
advantages
- all parts are widely available
- donor grills may be more available for parts
- thermoset tables are easy upkeep
- dual left/right flip up tables more common
disadvantages
- shallower cookbox
- not as "classic" of style

If you are not set on having wood slats and the very cool classic appearance of an early Genesis, I think I would try to find a nice Silver B or C. If a Platinum comes up, all the better. I love the wood slat Gennies, but the Silver/Gold/Platinum grills of the later years strike a nice balance between the classic Weber design with more practical care and use.

Once you choose the cookbox, second decision is the width of the cart.

Do you need / want a narrower grill like a Silver B or Genesis 1000?

Do you want a side burner or more table space to the right of the controls.

I would avoid the Gold B/ Gold C with the stainless lids due to potential of the inner liner of the lid rusting out.

edit: and my preference is the look of an enamel lid, but this is personal preference.

I would avoid the Gold B/ Gold C with the stainless lids due to potential of the inner liner of the lid rusting out.

edit: and my preference is the look of an enamel lid, but this is personal preference.
Yeah, I’m aware of the issue with the liner rotting out. I also figured I could live with the discoloration on the stainless, or swap it out for an enamel lid.

Just remembered a question I forgot to ask before - if I find an ideal grill but it’s plumbed for natural gas, is it just a matter of switching out the manifold and hose to switch to propane?

This is like walking into a crack house and asking the inhabitants if you should try crack! 🤣🤣

It all comes down to either what you need to meet your cooking needs, or perhaps to just satisfy your tinkering itch. You really can't go wrong if you are patient and pick up a good specimen. They are easy to work on, and for most, parts are readily available. My take on the side burner is that it's nice to have on occasion, but I don't use mine that much. In the summer, it's useful for boiling up corn and stuff. Sometimes I use it as a sauce warmer if I'm basting something......other than that, it's just something I have to clean! 🤣

I have a Summit Platinum, as do several other folks around here, and they are great grills EXCEPT for the firebox. The enameled steel has a tendency to rust away (usually in the front where the burners enter the box). The other issue is that the flavorizers are unique to those grills, in short supply, and EXPENSIVE (~$300 a set). Mine is in decent shape, and I'm exploring options to get a piece made to replace that front firebox piece. Other than that, the grill is bomb proof, and benefits from an all stainless frame and cabinet. Double bonus, I picked it up for free..... :)

If I were you, thinking about picking up my first Weber rehab, I'd stick with a Genesis of some flavor. Read through as many threads as you can so you know what to look for. And if you find one, don't hesitate to ask here about it (pics are great), or ask about what to look for when you inspect it.

Good luck!

R
I had access to a metal brake and was able to fabricate a piece to correctly fit over the damaged panel. Drilled and bolted it to the damaged piece with SS machine screws. Better than new.

Attachments

• 27EEC683-1716-42EC-9A40-89348AF10257.jpeg
    27EEC683-1716-42EC-9A40-89348AF10257.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
Just remembered a question I forgot to ask before - if I find an ideal grill but it’s plumbed for natural gas, is it just a matter of switching out the manifold and hose to switch to propane?
Yes, swap manifold and add a hose with regulator.

You'll also need a tank hanger / scale.

Some older frames ( carts ) will also need the support to mount the tank hanger.

I knew there would be more of these...

Any unvarnished opinions on grate types? Obviously I'd like to pick up a grill with cast iron or stainless rod already in place, but what are the stamped and assembled stainless grates like on a daily basis?

For used - it’s unlikely that you would find porcelain enamel stamped steel grids in good shape. I had a set in good shape and they worked good. I just think they don’t last long.

You might find stamped stainless in good shape on a used grill. I haven’t used them but they appear to last for awhile. They seem to be ok for the occasional user. I haven’t seen any hardcore grillers using them.

Back