Looking for an angle grinder for grill rehab work???

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
If you are looking for an angle grinder for grill rehab work, it would be tough to beat this one. It is at Directools outlets and while they are factory blemish, they are eligible for the LSA and if you kill it, they will fix or replace it forever. I have killed a HF angle grinder but they are only $10. This is more, but twice the amp power and with the lifetime LSA, you don't have to worry about killing it. I would jump on it, but I already have a Dewalt and two other HF ones.

That's a pretty sweet deal for something well above the HF basic models. The HF Hercules models are pretty good, but they cost a lot more than this RIgid deal. Who cares about blemishes. After one grill any grinder will be covered with crud!

And if you do abuse it on grill boxes and it dies, just take it in and get it fixed or replaced free with the LSA. I know 8 amps would be nice for cook boxes. Even my Dewalt bogs down some under heavy work and I think it is only 6 or 7 amps.

Thanks for the link Bruce. Ordering one. I’ve purchased a circular saw though them before and was completely satisfied. Took a little while to ship but the tool was perfect to my eyes.

I wear the cup brushes from HF out in no time. What are you guys using?

That’s what I use. I try to buy them on sale. I think even ones twice the price or more will wear out pretty fast. I figure the HF ones are the best value. But always open to new suggestions.

I agree. I use HF ones. I can pretty much do one cook box with one cup brush. I figure that isn't too bad. If you use the 20% off coupon, that is just a bit over $3.00. I looked at other name brand ones and they are all well over $10 each from what I have seen.
Just make sure you are not getting those braided/twisted wire ones. THey are way too aggressive and don't work well on a cook box.

I made that mistake when I first started out. I have a couple Dewalt braided cup brushes. I keep them for the occasional really tough stain. But, you are absolutely right that they are too aggressive. After using them for a difficult burned on carbon stain, you need to go back over with a regular brush to try and smooth out the deep scratches a braided brush makes. They will remove stuff a regular one won't, though.

I used HF ones as well. Got one with coupon for $5. Sold them a few weeks ago for more than that. lol
I actually only used the braided brushes on the inside of the firebox. I did not bother about the scratches. The brushes with the thinner wires always lost the wires on me. They constantly broke of.

Stefan,
Yep, they definitely do that! Eye protection and the right clothing for sure.

That was why I started out with the Dewalt braided ones. They had a good rating for not throwing wires. I guess it depends on the situation. I did a Q inside lid with a braided brush. The next time I tried the HF regular brush. I felt the appearance improvement was worth the thrown wires. But for a Genesis firebox with really burnt on carbon the braided brush does do a better job. Like I said, if it looks too rough, you can always smooth a lot of it out following up with a regular cup brush.

Back