Looking for advice regarding fire box cleanliness

That oxidized one looks kinda rough to me, I'd probably stay with the one you already cleaned up if you can tackle those broken screws. I wonder if somebody used Easy Off on it, or if it was near a marine environment?

Chris: I have come across several cook boxes like that and even a few that have actually larger rotted holes in them. I am not near any kind of marine environment and certainly not near any salt water. I think it likely has something to do with the types of foods cooked in it and lack of any kind of maintenance.

Here is the final grill with all the upgrades. Dont mind the crooked bar on the side table haha. For the side table the slider gets a little stuck. Does anyone who has a grill with the sliding mechanism is there anything you put on it to make it slide better?

Attachments

• Grill.jpg
    Grill.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 16
Honestly, I use vegetable oil. It lasts for about a year and then I just wipe down the slide and apply another thin coat of veggy oil. But, yah, i suppose any household petro oil would work as well. I just had the veggy oil handy when I needed it.

Back