Looking for a stainless steel grate brush

Garry Milner

TVWBB Member
Can anyone tell me where I can find a wooden handle grate brush with an angled head and stainless steel bristles? I have not seen any online or at Home Depot. The only angled head brushes I have found have brass bristles which I don't believe will last very long. The flat brushes from Weber keep your hand too close to hot grates and the ergonomics just ain't right. I'm cleaning Porcelain CI grates. Thanks!

Forget wooden handle ones. They shed bristles and can be dangerous. (ask me how I know). Get yourself one of these and replace it in a timely manner as it wears https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYSNZS2/?tag=tvwb-20
I have never had one of these brushes lose a bristle..................ever. I have had Weber brushes, Charbroil, and others lose them and actually nearly swallowed one! Because I needed a new brush and was at Walmart instead of Menard's where I usually buy the Libman brushes.
The way the bristles are bonded into the molded plastic head prevents them from coming out. Rather than bundles being pressed into wood or plastic heads. The Libman ones have the bundles literally molded into the molten plastic head and they cannot/do not come out
As an added measure I also will use a bundle of wet paper towels to wipe the grates down after and blast off any remaining deposits

Forget wooden handle ones. They shed bristles and can be dangerous. (ask me how I know). Get yourself one of these and replace it in a timely manner as it wears https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYSNZS2/?tag=tvwb-20
I have never had one of these brushes lose a bristle..................ever. I have had Weber brushes, Charbroil, and others lose them and actually nearly swallowed one! Because I needed a new brush and was at Walmart instead of Menard's where I usually buy the Libman brushes.
The way the bristles are bonded into the molded plastic head prevents them from coming out. Rather than bundles being pressed into wood or plastic heads. The Libman ones have the bundles literally molded into the molten plastic head and they cannot/do not come out
As an added measure I also will use a bundle of wet paper towels to wipe the grates down after and blast off any remaining deposits
Larry, you prefer the brass over the Stainless steel bristles?

yes I do. They clean as well, they won't damage your cast iron (if you have CI) grates and they do a fine job on stainless grates as well.

I have appreciated learning about the Libyan brush. It does sound much better than the also tans - even Weber - with a much safer design. I might try one next time. I still also like the solid wood “spatula” scraper that burns in to fit your grate. I think these are ideal for GrillGrates (sorry, Larry) but also would work very well for stainless rod grates.

I have appreciated learning about the Libyan brush. It does sound much better than the also tans - even Weber - with a much safer design. I might try one next time. I still also like the solid wood “spatula” scraper that burns in to fit your grate. I think these are ideal for GrillGrates (sorry, Larry) but also would work very well for stainless rod grates.
The wood ones do not work on the round SS grates. I tried 2 different ones. They work after a fashion on the Q cast iron grates though but in the end leave so much debris behind that no matter how well they're "burned in" food always turns up with little crunchy bits of carbon

I just can't think of a better solution to cleaning grill grates than to get a good set of SS solid rod grates and the Chargon. No bristles, no porcelain chunks, no left over carbon bits, no rust, no fuss, no muss.

Thanks Larry, that's a good looking brush but the problem with the plastic is it melts upon contact with 450 degree grates. I bought a plastic handle brush with the proper angle head and it left black 'skid marks' here and there on the grates and the inside of the grill. Maybe I'm being too aggressive with it, too much pressure. But hey, if you say those brass bristles do the job I'll give the Libman a try - and maybe a little less pressure will eliminate those skid marks.

I just can't think of a better solution to cleaning grill grates than to get a good set of SS solid rod grates and the Chargon. No bristles, no porcelain chunks, no left over carbon bits, no rust, no fuss, no muss.

I agree, Bruce. I never used the solid wood scraper on rods. I wasn’t thinking about my Chargon when I made the comment about that. That is my first choice for rods while the solid wood scraper us for GrilkGrates. For my cast iron grates I tend to use (when not too hot) those soft scrubber pad type grill cleaners. I sometimes get them from the Dollar Tree so don’t mind tossing them after a few uses. I feel these pose the least risk of chipping porcelain on the okayed grates or scratching off seasoning on non-coated cast iron.

What are the best grates to clean with the solid wood scrapers? Have a couple unused as older Xmas presents.

Christopher, I like them for the PCI grates on the Weber Q grills so as not to damage the porcelain. This is a thin cedar one that will fit in the holes to clean them.

Attachments

• 54113D7F-1A4A-41EE-81B3-FB1C9640D632.jpeg
    54113D7F-1A4A-41EE-81B3-FB1C9640D632.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 4
  • BD8FF0AD-5CA0-4953-988C-377376E23527.jpeg
    BD8FF0AD-5CA0-4953-988C-377376E23527.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 4
Lots of folks on here like the Grill Wizard. I myself use the BGE version of the same brush.

Best thing is that either uses a generic SS scrubby. So replacement heads are like $1 each from the grocery store.

I know someone who died from swallowing a metal bristle. Not my grill but still haunts me. We still miss him.

Back