Looking for a sauce recipe

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
I have to admit that I really like Kraft's hickory BBQ sauce. (Do you have Kraft products in the states or is it just Canadian?) Does anyone know a good recipe for a similar Kansas style BBQ sauce?

Kevin;
Thanks for all the help. If you weren't so far away, I would bring you some Q.

One question what is a "Aleppo pepper"? Is there a substitute as I probably won't have access to it?

I wish--I love BC.

Aleppo is a crushed chile from Turkey. It looks similar to the crushed red pepper you get anywhere but is moist and shiny. It's heat is similar to crushed red; its flavor is fruity, not unlike Ancho, with a pleasant tartness. It is one of my favorites for sprinkling on all kinds of food. I keep it on the table for quick access!

If you have ground sumac available an sub would be that, mixed with a little cayenne. But you can certainly just leave it out.

Oh, no---aleppo peppers will be yet another ingredient I'll need to track down!

Curse you, Kevin Kruger!!

icon_wink.gif

Penzey's, my dear, Penzey's. I can't tell how happy I was when they started carrying it. Much better quality than my former source--and cheaper!

Yesterday, I set out three commercial sauces bought from "mo hotta mo betta" -
Southern Rays Three Pepper
Roadhouse
Stubbs

Long ago I googled "bbq sauce recipes" and I have hundreds off the net. Do the same, and pick out something that has all your favorite ingredients.

I keep going back to this favorite KC style sauce:
(I think the question marks denote 1/2 in the measurements.. web fonts didn't format properly)

Kansas City - Style Sauce

? cup light brown sugar, packed
1? tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon dry ginger
? teaspoon ground allspice
? teaspoon cayenne pepper
? teaspoon ground mace
? teaspoon black pepper
1 cup white distilled vinegar
? cup molasses
? cup water
32 ounces ketchup

In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, chili seasoning, mustard, ginger, allspice, cayenne, mace, and black pepper. Add
the vinegar, molasses, and water. Stir until dry ingredients are dissolved. Add the ketchup and stir to mix. Bring to a boil over
medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to
room temperature.

Bob

Back