looking for a good finishing sauce for pulled pork

jason.yee

TVWBB Fan
i use the Chris Lilly rub and injection for my pulled pork and was wondering what is a good finishing sauce i can make that compliments Lilly's recipes?

I like a thin finishing sauce for PP.

I start with Sweet Baby Ray's but any sweet sauce will do. I then cut it with Apple Juice and Apple Cider Vingear, 2:2:1, and warm it up to about 200º. Start with tablespoons for a sampler.

I use equal parts BBQ sauce, melted butter and chicken stock. A little goes a long way.

I've used the following, from smokingmeatforums.com on my last two Pulled Porks and it's fantastic. I'll never make PP without it again:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

I've been winging it on finishing sauces lately, but this is basically what I've done the past couple of times:

1/4 - 1/2 cup drippings from your PP
1/2 TBL brown sugar
1 TBL Worcestershire
1 TBL Soy Sauce
1-2 tsp rub

You can use chicken stock on top of the drippings to increase the recipe, but a little goes a VERY long way. I think the drippings are key to making a wonderful finishing sauce. Anything that puts the meat's juices back into the meat, yeah?

Originally posted by Mike Carter:
then kind of mix it up with gloved hands.

ive always wondered what kind of latex gloves to use? i have tons of white latex gloves with powder that doctors use. are these safe for pulling pork? or do i need to find unpowdered gloves?

Originally posted by TravisH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason.yee:
... or do i need to find unpowdered gloves?
Unpowdered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm i dont even know where to find those around here.

Jason, Walgreen's has them in the detergent/cleaning isle. 80 gloves for $4 IIRC. I use these all the time.

Edit: My bad Jason, you are in Canada... but your pharmacy should be able to help.

Originally posted by Sheldon Koehler:
Jason, Walgreen's has them in the detergent/cleaning isle. 80 gloves for $4 IIRC. I use these all the time.

Edit: My bad Jason, you are in Canada... but your pharmacy should be able to help.

i just realized that my dad has a box of vinyl (non-latex) unpowdered gloves. i will just use those since they are free.
icon_smile.gif

If you are still looking for a good finishing sauce, search here for "No. 5 Sauce". It is very good, simple to make, and can be easily tweaked to your liking.

Originally posted by LarryR:
I use equal parts BBQ sauce, melted butter and chicken stock. A little goes a long way.
Hey Larry, me too.
icon_biggrin.gif

F.Y.I. here, a finishing sauce is used while pulling the meat, for adding moisture and flavor. It's not used as a sauce for the finished meat/bun sandwich thing. i.e. not a sauce you top the PP when it's on the bun.
icon_wink.gif

Back