Looking at buying a 22in kettle and already thinking about "upgrades"

GarciaWork

TVWBB Member
Hey all, looking to get rid of my Traeger and snag a 22in kettle in the next few weeks. Currently agonizing over which kettle, but that is another story. This post is to ask what y'alls experience is with various aftermarket grates. People like the SnS EasySpin grates, but I also found the Flametech Grills grate that also looks like a good option. I plan on picking up either a Slow and Sear or the Flametech basket/drip tray, and may just keep the grate the same brand, but haven't seen anyone mention the Flametech grate at this point.

Love t hear if anyone has any experience with either!

I'd recommend doing a few cooks on whatever kettle you decide on before considering accessories. Some kettles come with a pair of charcoal baskets and a hinged cooking grate, which I consider to be must haves. Others are available with various accessory packages. It's really easy to spend as much, or more, on accessories than what many kettles cost. It's also really easy to buy a bunch of accessories that quickly become dust collectors. Just my opinion.

I'd recommend doing a few cooks on whatever kettle you decide on before considering accessories. Some kettles come with a pair of charcoal baskets and a hinged cooking grate, which I consider to be must haves. Others are available with various accessory packages. It's really easy to spend as much, or more, on accessories than what many kettles cost. It's also really easy to buy a bunch of accessories that quickly become dust collectors. Just my opinion.
I get that, but I know for sure that I am going to hate the Weber crafted blah blah system with the middle piece that falls out, so I know I will want a new grate with a hinge at the very least.

My best upgrade was a Vortex and SS grate with flip up sides from Killa Grilla.
A lot more economical options out there now for SS grates but a good one will last a lifetime.
I would have ordered a killa grilla but they are shut down... looks like they are located (or were) really close to where I live too. Bummer.

I get that, but I know for sure that I am going to hate the Weber crafted blah blah system with the middle piece that falls out, so I know I will want a new grate with a hinge at the very least.
Never heard of the "Weber crafted blah blah system". Could you elaborate? (For realsies. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm new here.)

Never heard of the "Weber crafted blah blah system". Could you elaborate? (For realsies. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm new here.)
Totally got it wrong, its the "Gourmet BBQ System" that has the removable center in the grate that can be replaced by a bunch of other stuff they sell. Its a neat idea, that maybe I could see using in the future, but having a removable piece sounds annoying for the most part. Also, people love them for use with a vortex, but I don't see any need for a vortex because most people say they use them for wings, which we have zero desire to cook.

Both of my Weber 22” Kettles are equipped with their excellent SlowNSear Deluxe,DripNGriddle pans and Easy Spin SS Grates. I am also impressed with some of the “Hunsaker” products as I purchased their Vortex plate to use in my WSM Smoker a few years back. They also have a beefy SS grilling grate in their inventory.

Attachments

• 23043439-6326-4114-9D86-29EA10BE0E30.jpeg
    23043439-6326-4114-9D86-29EA10BE0E30.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 3EE281A9-B87E-4A36-9015-DB138AD8ADD4.jpeg
    3EE281A9-B87E-4A36-9015-DB138AD8ADD4.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have a performer and an E6.
I was all eager and wanted all these toys I see people use when I was new as well maybe 7 years ago or something like that.......
I bought a couple things I didn't really use including a couple of those center pieces you spoke of above........
Bob's advice above is the best advice.......I would cook a couple times with the baskets it comes with, this will give you a lot of information that will help you determine what is actually going to help you make better bbq.

My best purchases are my Killa Grilla Grill......also picked one up for my 18 inch travel jumbo joe.......
Next was my slow n sear.....deluxe maybe??? The one where I can remover the water portion....I use it for basically every cook.
I never use the water tray......I have but I don't anymore due to having an E6.
The vortex does a good job for all the bird cooks you want a nice finish on.
I have been smoking my wings now simply due to smoking them low n slow until they hit a nice high temp and then flash frying them on the slate has been making excellent wings and wing related products.

Last edited:
Just want to go against the grain here, but I'm an owner of the "Gourmet BBQ System" with the cast iron grate insert. I'm a big fan of it.I have a large cast iron karahii that I found roadside on a table, paid a couple of bucks for it. Great for slow simmer Indian dishes. Pull out the insert, put in the karahi. Position the fire where you need it for the temp you're looking for. Person selling it told me it was the worst wok she ever used....I told her I was going to use it as a decorative planter after drilling a hole in the bottom. Heh heh......

A karahi is a type of thick, circular, and deep cooking pot<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karahi#cite_note-2"><span>[</span>1<span>]</span></a> (similar in shape to a wok) that originated in the Lucknow, India. It is used in Indian, Nepalese, Sri Lankan, Pakistani, Bangladeshi/Bengali, Afghan, and Caribbean cuisines. Traditionally press-formed from mild steelsheets or made of wrought iron, a karahi resembles a wok with steeper sides. Today, they can be made of stainless steel, copper, and nonstick surfaces, both round and flat-bottomed, or of traditional materials. The word Karrahi emanates from Karah, a bigger version of wok traditionally used in the subcontinent for boiling milk and producing thick cream, that stems from the Persian word کرہ karah meaning circular.

I have used a traditional round bottom carbon steel wok with the Gourmet grate. Works well.

Another find was at at Homegoods store, a fairly heavy steel pot, smaller width on the bottom than on the top with lid. that Slips right in to the center area self suspended, great for making Mexican slow simmers that can use a bit of smoke flavor.

The removeable cast iron grate itself can be got almost to red heat, searing heavy grill marks while maintaining a medium rare rare is effortless.

I also have the Weber rotisserie, used often. Rotisserie on the Weber over lump puts grocery market rotisserie to shame.

Through Craiglist I picked up a KETTLEPIZZA "Serious Eats" https://www.kettlepizza.com/products/kpse-22s-serious-eats-pizza-oven-kit-for-weber-22-5/ for $50 (though I did drive 70 miles each way for it.
An excellent piece of equipment, fun to break out at parties and letting guests create their own pies.

Also have the Weber cast iron skillet (found new at a Goodwill type store). Used it this morning indoors on the gas range, made buttermilk pancakes.

Don't discount the Weber accessories, most are well made and well thought out.

And never denigrate (see what I did there?) chicken wings prepared correctly and cooked over lump. They can be one of the most tasty items off a grill.

Last edited:
Just want to go against the grain here, but I'm an owner of the "Gourmet BBQ System" with the cast iron grate insert. I'm a big fan of it.I have a large cast iron karahii that I found roadside on a table, paid a couple of bucks for it. Great for slow simmer Indian dishes. Pull out the insert, put in the karahi. Position the fire where you need it for the temp you're looking for. Person selling it told me it was the worst wok she ever used....I told her I was going to use it as a decorative planter after drilling a hole in the bottom. Heh heh......

A karahi is a type of thick, circular, and deep cooking pot<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karahi#cite_note-2"><span>[</span>1<span>]</span></a> (similar in shape to a wok) that originated in the Lucknow, India. It is used in Indian, Nepalese, Sri Lankan, Pakistani, Bangladeshi/Bengali, Afghan, and Caribbean cuisines. Traditionally press-formed from mild steelsheets or made of wrought iron, a karahi resembles a wok with steeper sides. Today, they can be made of stainless steel, copper, and nonstick surfaces, both round and flat-bottomed, or of traditional materials. The word Karrahi emanates from Karah, a bigger version of wok traditionally used in the subcontinent for boiling milk and producing thick cream, that stems from the Persian word کرہ karah meaning circular.

I have used a traditional round bottom carbon steel wok with the Gourmet grate. Works well.

Another find was at at Homegoods store, a fairly heavy steel pot, smaller width on the bottom than on the top with lid. that Slips right in to the center area self suspended, great for making Mexican slow simmers that can use a bit of smoke flavor.

The removeable cast iron grate itself can be got almost to red heat, searing heavy grill marks while maintaining a medium rare rare is effortless.

I also have the Weber rotisserie, used often. Rotisserie on the Weber over lump puts grocery market rotisserie to shame.

Through Craiglist I picked up a KETTLEPIZZA "Serious Eats" https://www.kettlepizza.com/products/kpse-22s-serious-eats-pizza-oven-kit-for-weber-22-5/ for $50 (though I did drive 70 miles each way for it.
An excellent piece of equipment, fun to break out at parties and letting guests create their own pies.

Also have the Weber cast iron skillet (found new at a Goodwill type store). Used it this morning indoors on the gas range, made buttermilk pancakes.

And never denigrate (see what I did there?) chicken wings prepared correctly and cooked over lump. They can be one of the most tasty items off a grill.
Nice write-up and the most unusual Weber Gourmets Insert is my Weber.Korean BBQ Insert purchased new many “moons-ago” and still unused.

Attachments

• 00DE3E18-E26C-4C37-B45F-44BC907664BD.png
    00DE3E18-E26C-4C37-B45F-44BC907664BD.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I would agree with Dan the WSK would be a great buy, but i have not found one yet.
So sticking with the performer, I have a SNS deluxe, a votex, and about 3 grates as I change them out when I am cleaning one, I do have a GBS grate that I use with a old steel hammered wok, I have the Korean BBQ insert, great for KalBi, veggies, and such, and a smaller dutch oven for many things like smoked beans.
The SNS is my best purchase I use it for everything. I have been thing of a rotisserie, but I have see if I would get it for the kettle or gasser. Take you time find one that fits you, and maybe the right color too.

Nice write-up and the most unusual Weber Gourmets Insert is my Weber.Korean BBQ Insert purchased new many “moons-ago” and still unused.
Yep, see something that looks like fun, buy it and there it sits unused for years at a time! 🤣🤣
I have a “fish basket” which has hung in three garages and was used one time to cook a leg of lamb! I tried selling it more than one garage sale and there were no takers, now, it’s a favorite wall hanger!

Both of my Weber 22” Kettles are equipped with their excellent SlowNSear Deluxe,DripNGriddle pans and Easy Spin SS Grates. I am also impressed with some of the “Hunsaker” products as I purchased their Vortex plate to use in my WSM Smoker a few years back. They also have a beefy SS grilling grate in their inventory.
I think the Hunsaker grates may be exactly what I was looking for! They look beefy, and remind me of the grates that came on my Genesis II SE. They have them in both sizes as well, so I am covered either way, thanks for that!

Another recommendation would be to hit Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and find a used kettle. Start there, spend the savings on quality lump and quality briquettes. Add accessories as time goes on.
Thanks for the details! That certainly looks cool, but I am not sure my wife would really want any of the food I could make with that hah.

As for going used, sure, its an option... but... I like shiny new things, and having my pick of the exact color. My Genesis is a red head, and I could match that if I buy a new (22") kettle at Ace. Even the 26" comes in gray, which I think is a lot prettier than black. I am picky, it is a curse, but its a curse I am fine with :)

This is my 1988 Redhead, never used, came with manual cover, etc. Has been a basement dweller for about 6 years now. Another Craigslist find, $45.
Drove from Central MA to the lower regions of CT in torrential rain for this one. Had a couple of dings on the rim of the top, and a couple of porcelain chips due to that. Still worth the price.
Picking it up I remarked to my wife "you never forget your first redhead". She refused to speak to me for the entire ride home.

IMG_20241018_133507999.jpgIMG_20241018_133523204.jpg

Back