London Broil?

London Broil will be similar to grilling Tri-Tip, but is usually cut somewhat thinner. I grill them direct with some smokewood in the kettle. It has never been a low and slow cut for me. Lawrys Beef Marinade works nice for London Broil.

Sidebar:

London Broil is not a cut of beef, it's a cooking method. Typically, flank was used. When flank became a popular menu item in the early-mid 80s (served grilled, sliced and fanned on the plate; called 'flank' on the menu), demand went up--and so did its price. In not a few areas it was difficult to come by on the retail level.

Rather quickly, to counter the resulting dearth of flanks for London Broil or consumer complaints about the significantly higher flank prices (the name and associated technique had been around for a while--probably since the 30s--and consumers were not happy), retailers started packaging other cuts as 'London Broil'. Sirloin (usually top) and, mostly, top round were labeled as such (with or without the actual name of the cut on the package). Because it was so often without, many people came to think of LB as a cut instead of a technique.

Though I've heard of this before, I'd not actually seen it till last week while scanning the meat case at a local store: There in the case, two packages, each labeled 'Chuck Shoulder for London Broil'. Couldn't tell from where it was cut.

I'd been meaning to ask about London Broil for awhile here. That was kind of my dad's "go to" grilling item when I grew up. I have no idea the cut he used (it's labeled as "london broil" in the stores...looks like a big huge slice of top round) but I always liked it. It's one of those items that I would kind of scoff at as not being "real" Q nowdays...but man, the stuff just has so many memories for me I can't dis it.
icon_smile.gif
I think my parents used to marinate the cut for about 2 days in soy, onions, garlic, and some other liquid...probably terryaki or something. I always got excited whenever I saw/smelled that big fat lump of meat sitting in a ziplock bag in the fridge!
icon_smile.gif

Kevin, that's really interesting information and thank you for clarifying. Never made sense to me that some meat counters referred to some cuts of beef (usually a large hunk of beef but smaller than a flank) as London Broil.

I went to look at a few recipes for Beef Jerky and noticed they too improperly name the cut of beef as London Broil. Just simply weird!

Did a 'london broil' a couple of weeks ago. That's how it was labeled, but looked like a thick flank. Marinated in Italian dressing for about 24 hours then put a nice rub (heavy on the white and black pepper) and then grilled to medium. It was one of the best pieces of meat I've had in a while. Definately close to a tri-tip.

put a nice rub (heavy on the white and black pepper)

Paul - what else did you put in the rub besides pepper? Also, did you grill over direct [high/medium] heat, or indirect?

I stopped at HEB on the way home from work today and noticed that they have "london broil" on sale this week. I couldn't really tell what cut it was from, but it sure looked good. I think they have one there with my name on it, but I won't pick it out until tomorrow.

Any tips would be appreciated!

-Mike

Mike - Unfortunately, I didn't record the ingredients of that particular rub; just something I threw together. I grilled it direct on the WSM. This was before I picked up my kettle. I think I grilled at about med to med high heat. It had a very nice sear to it. I really believe the inexpensive Italian dressing made a big difference - marinaded it for 24 hours. Also threw in a couple of small pieces of pecan I think. Look for the thickest one you can find; it's like steak - the thicker the better your results.

Thanks, Paul!

I'll be making it tonight. I have it marinating in WB Italian right now. I didn't start the marinade until this morning, but I use one of the vacuum containers for my FoodSaver thingy, and it marinates in about half the time.

I'll let you know how it comes out!

-Mike

The london broil came out pretty good, Paul!

(It would have turned out terrific if I didn't overcook it a wee bit - but it was still moist.)

A friend stopped by unexpectedly yesterday, so I invited her to stay for dinner. I also grilled some zucchini, and served it with a fresh garden salad. It was a very nice way to spend an evening.

I always marinate overnight with red wine or a red wine vinegar. Before grilling, I rub it down with some olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning, if I'm out of my steak rub.

If I can only hold my hand over the grill for 4 seconds, then it's ready. Usually 6 minutes a side gets the meat temp to 120 where I platter it and let it rest 5 min before slicing.

Mike-sounds good. I picked up 2 large 'london broils' yesterday. I was hoping for flanks, but these are tops. I'm going to marinate them tonight and grill tomorrow. I still have in-laws in town, they've made a sizeable dent in my frozen leftovers! The pulled pork has been their favorite and they're from North Carolina!

Back