Little Griddle - Thoughts?

I was thinking maybe a large steel spatula with something like a piece of wood to push down on it???

If I recall correctly I have seen pics where people use spatulas that--of themselves--are not sturdy enough to smash but they place a potato masher above the blade while smashing. It seems logical to me that it would work.

Thanks BFletcher, but are there any less expensive alternatives? I was thinking maybe a large steel spatula with something like a piece of wood to push down on it???

I use a thin, inexpensive S/S flexible spatula backed by the awesome power of a potato masher!

http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2017/05/smashed-burgers-weber-gas-grill/

IMG_9001.jpg

That's precisely the way you do it. And it is still considered a Smashburger IMO if you smash them on and non-grill surface. :)
OK, whatever works for you. :D

But I doubt you can achieve the ultimate, super-thin smashburger off the grill surface like you can when smashing on a griddle. It's see-through in spots!

IMG_9023.jpg

I use a thin, inexpensive S/S flexible spatula backed by the awesome power of a potato masher!

IMG_9001.jpg

OK, whatever works for you. :D

But I doubt you can achieve the ultimate, super-thin smashburger off the grill surface like you can when smashing on a griddle. It's see-through in spots!

IMG_9023.jpg

Agreed. What I posted works. But does not work as well as having a true flat griddle without holes.

Nice looking Smashburgers you have there!!

-T

What I also began doing is pulling the burger and then [immediately] adding the cheese to it; previously, I'd add the cheese while the burger was still on the grill. To me, it seems I get more texture, bite, or taste from the cheese doing this.

Smashing the burger off the griddle while giving a thin burger it does not make it a smashed burger. To TRULY make a smash burger the burger must be smashed into the very hot flat steel/cast iron surface. And it must be stainless steel or cast iron because only those materials can truly hold very high heat and release it to give that supreme crust on the burger from being pushed down onto the surface of the very hot griddle.
That crust comes from the Maillard reaction BUT also the action of smashing it ON the heated surface forms the crust the smash burger fan loves so much (it's why chains like Culvers and Steak & Shake have such a great following on their burgers) and actually they're the ONLY burgers I will eat out. I never touch chain burgers otherwise despising places like burger king, McD's, Hardees and what not.
Doing the smash off the heated griddle gives you nothing more than a thin burger a very distant second to a true smash burger. Also aluminum will just not cut it as it cannot ever get the same heat that a heavy cast stainless or cast iron griddle can give or even a plain carbon steel pan like these https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1623-carbon-steel-skillets
I don't care how thick you make aluminum it just is scientifically impossible for it to accomplish the same feats as CI, SS or carbon steel

We get you hungry did we? :D Ya know I never thought about doing them until I saw the write up from Chris about doing them with his Summit on the Lodge CI 2 burner griddle. He's such a troublemaker because I though hmmmm I do love Steak n Shake burgers and Culvers (both use this process with high quality meat) (if you don't know these 2 chains look them up they're the ONLY burgers I will eat out)
So now whenever I make burgers I have to get consensus from the peanut gallery as to regular grilled or smashed. That little 8 yo usually over rules anything I want and goes for "smash" so out goes the Lodge and I turn the meat into little balls and get the big spatula out.
Thanks for causing me all the trouble Chris LOL

Yeah, I mostly mimic Chris' writeup, too, and even weigh 2 oz balls. We frequent Steak n Shake but it's interesting that you mention Culvers... we don't live extremely close to one but occasionally pass one. So now we will need to stop. Thanks for the tip :)

Culvers certainly does have a "different" burger than the other fast food joints. When I say, different, I don't mean worse or anything like that. But they are thin and crispy and extremely tasty. IMO, culvers is a step above most of the main stream fast food joints out there.

Give it shot. They call their burgers "Butter Burgers". And if you want the full taste of the burgers, I suggest you get as little "extras" on the burger as possible. Cheese sure, maybe some ketchup, but skip all the mayo, and most veggies.

+1 for Bruce. The only thing about Culvers I don't like is their pricing. at Steak n Shake they actually serve you on real plates with real knives and forks and IMO the product is just a hair under the product at Culvers but at 1/3 less $$$$ and they now even have a burger they call the "prime" made from chuck, brisket and sirloin IIRC anyway it's DARN good! and their fries beat anything hands down (just don't tell my Dr. I eat them)

Yep, prices at Culvers are a bit higher than most of the major FF joints, but if you want better than average food, it is worth it.

I agree there but I have Steak n Shake and it's pretty equal to Culver's with even better fries and if I am going to blow my blood sugar budget on fries I want the BEST :D But I do love Culver's onion rings, their fried cod is excellent and sometimes they even have fried Walleye DELISH!

My GrillGrates arrived... I'm going to cook some smashburgers tonight on the flat side. If it does not work out well for me, I won't be too upset. I do have a 14 inch Lodge cast iron Pizza Pan that I was using on my kamado. But I think the aluminium grates are gonna be fantastic :)

I'll post pics, but I'll probably create a new thread.

-T

Back