Liquid smoke, any use at all?

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
It is not allowed to sell liquid smoke to consumers in Norway. Before i bought my WSM, I wanted to try liquid smoke to get the Smoke flavor. Now, I got a bottle of Liquid Smoke (LS) from a relative, and as far as I can see, I do not really need it anymore, as I have access to the proper way to add this flavor to food.
I'm sure that most forum members stay away from LS, but none the less- is there any way it can be used, not as a substitute, but as some sort of "adjustment", and with good results, or as a timesaver when needed?

As an example- you do not have the time to wait for a long smoke, what about a short one, and "enhance" the cook with LS?

Or- if you smoke something, and the smoke taste is less than desired, is it possible to adjust the smoke taste with this stuff? I'm thinking for example sausages, which should be smoked for a quite short period.

Or- is LS just a "taste killer" that should be avoided?

I understand that the best practise is to do a proper smoke in the WSM, and not to fail, but I'm not a professional. Could LS save the day when the result is not perfect?

Geir,
"or as a timesaver when needed?"

I have been able to get nice smoke flavor and a good smoke ringon my HH brisket in 2-2.5 hrs. Are you concerned with a smoke flavor in less time?
I used to use LS before I bought my smoker. I am not sure that there is anything harmful in it. It is a matter of choice. I would say if you like the flavor it gives and if you want to use it, go for it. I would think tho even for quick cook burgers on the grill you can get real smoke flavor using wood. If you are grilling indoor and don't want the smoke then your options for flavors are almost endless.'

Mark

All I have ever used L S for is flavoring for dehydrator beef jerky. Now that I have my WSM the dehydrator has been retired as a jerky machine.

A few people on this and other forums have admitted to adding a little liquid smoke to their sauces. I have never heard of anyone using it for any other purpose.

JimT

Never used it. But once I tasted the smokey condensation dripping off the thermometer. Bad idea....eeesh.
icon_eek.gif

Back when i thought i knew what I was doing, I used liquid smoke in my homemade bbq sauce but I havent used it in a while now.

My dad uses it in his excellent pork chop marinade, and I've used it in a few recipes, but I really can't think of anything I would use it for. It's just condensation that's collected from wood smoke, but the real thing tastes much better.

America's Test Kitchen did an "Inside Pulled Pork" recipe recently and used it in a brine to add smoke flavor (it was cooked in an oven). They also said that LS is "all natural" since it is (I think, I could be mistaken) made by burning coals in a moist environment and then condensing the smoke/steam and then filtering it.

I don't use it personally because, like all of you, I've got a "better" way to introduce smoke flavor to things...with smoke. I don't see a problem with using it if needed though.

I'd also like to know why it can't be sold in Norway? Interesting!

I've used it in a Jack Daniels BBQ sauce that is very similar to the JD glaze you get at TGI Fridays. But that's about it. I don't use it in my regular BBQ sauce when I bother to make it.

I have a bottle but it just sits in the cupboard. I have no moral objections to the stuff but I shy away from it since most commercial sauces seem to have LS as their main ingredient.

I went to a fancy restaurant once that served "smoked ketchup" with their french fries. I came home and added just a teensy bit of liquid smoke to Heinz Ketchup and achieved a similar result.

LS is used in all sorts of commercial food products that taste smoky.

Regards,
Chris

There is a fancy burger place here called Flip Burger . The chef has a "Smoked Mayonnaise "that really is good. I wondered how he did it. I'm betting thats the trick.

Pat

Flip is one of Top Chef Richard Blais' new enterprises and is based here in Atlanta. He has several open, but I haven't been there. It's the hot place to go right now and you can't get near the place.

Liquid Smoke is pretty easy to spot in foods. I'd be disappointed if he uses it.

Rita

I have a bottle I keep in the fridge,it doescome in handy during the winter season when you can't or don't want to fire up the smoker for the flavor,but I only seem to use it when I do beans

LS can be fairly acrid, especially if used in any quantity.

It's easy to add smoke flavor to any number of things without its use. Smoked salt, smoked pepper, smoked chile (like smoked paprika, chipotle, etc.) all add smoke flavor - without the acridity. I use these for sauces and mayos, beans and braises all the time; sometimes for garnishes, like a sprinkle of smoked paprika over deviled eggs, smoked peppercorn over cantaloupe and so forth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Smoked salt, smoked pepper, smoked chile (like smoked paprika, chipotle, etc.) all add smoke flavor - without the acridity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In the America's Test Kitchen episode that Don Cash referenced earlier in this thread, they used liquid smoke in the brine and smoked paprika in the rub to make oven-barbecued pork. Kind of a one-two punch of smoke flavor.

Might be fun to try making my own smoked salt and smoke pepper in the WSM sometime.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

My friend Kevin K from Hawaii (not to be confused with K Kruger not from Hawaii) recently sent me some kiawe-smoked sea salt. I need to give that a try on a steak or something...

Regards,
Chris

I've only seen the hickory & mesquite versions of LS. Never use the stuff myself, or the 2 above mentioned woods. Way too potent for my liking.

No, not from Hawaii.
icon_frown.gif

Yes, definitely do your own salt. Whole peppercorns smoke well too. (Other spices - coriander, fennel, think seeds - can be smoked too.)

I don't use smoked salt, spices or chilies on items I am going to smoke. My preference is to use one or more of these on quick cooking grilled items, especially steaks, seafoods, fish - and to use them in sauces and condiments.

Thank you for all the answers.
mk evenson- I was thinking more in the line of food that needed a short cook, too short to develop a strong smoke flavor, for example sausages, that can be cooked in an hour or so, even if you keep the temps down.

Furthermore, I'm afraid I have written something that is not completely correct. I have a Norwegian book named "sausages", where several professional cooks and sausage makers give hints and information about the noble art, as well as recipes.
The book states that liquid smoke is not available for the average consumer. It does not say that it is not allowed to sell it. There is no explanation, and I made a hasty conclusion.
Then the writer goes on to tell that LS in more healthy and gives a "cleaner" taste than traditional smoking, partly due to the lack of PAH. It is presented as a better alternative than traditional smoking.

It seems that LS can be bought in a very few gourmet stores here in Norway. So to be specific, it's not illegal, but very hard to get.

I agree with K. Kruger. I smoked a bunch of sweet peppers, and have used them as smoke spice in casseroles and in tomato sauces during the winter. An excellent idea.

Back