LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 2

I'm almost done, but got another question. We plugged everything in, but don't seem to be getting the correct power reading on pin 16 to the LCD, would this possibly be because I haven't programmed the IC chip yet?

Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
Thanks Bryan! Now to find one. And uuuugh, desoldering SMT, fun.

Looks like none available. Back to the drawing board.....

Wouldn't it just be easier with the problems you have been having to get a new router on ebay for 10-15$?

I finished mine up Thursday night (except for the button board) and did a pork butt Friday night with it. The linkmeter worked perfectly!

btw, the button board is $5.95 for 3 of them...very cheap.

Thanks for all the help!

Wouldn't it just be easier with the problems you have been having to get a new router on ebay for 10-15$?

More like $30 but yes, this isn't the one with the bad serial port, that was a wrt54Gv2, this is a wrt54GL that I did buy of ebay and made a mistake when soldering the 12v lead for the HM board.

Oh wow, I didnt realize they were still so much. I have gotten two at the local thrift store; one I think for 7$ the other for 9$. I thought they would only be slightly more on ebay.

Maybe you could snag this one...only 2 hrs left and 0 bids.
WRT54GL

Originally posted by J. Winn:
Oh wow, I didnt realize they were still so much. I have gotten two at the local thrift store; one I think for 7$ the other for 9$. I thought they would only be slightly more on ebay.

That one is $32 including shipping, The norm is 25-27. Please keep on the lookout for me at the trift store! I've built 5 so far for myself and friends.

Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
That one is $32 including shipping, The norm is 25-27. Please keep on the lookout for me at the trift store! I've built 5 so far for myself and friends.

Whoops sorry, forgot about shipping
icon_frown.gif

Ok, I updated the firmware on the Heatermeter and I'm still not appearing to get any readout on the LCD. The backlight appears to work since I can control the lighting but I'm getting no text readout. When we check the voltage from 15 to 16 on the board side it's only showing about 1.6 or so, so all I can think is something is bad on the board that leads to those pins?
pcgmf.jpg

DISREGARD! This picture is wrong, R7 is supposed to be a wire not a resistor!
icon_wink.gif

This explains what happened to the 390 that I lost while putting together the button board (we ended up using a couple different ones we found at Radio Shack to equal up what was needed.

@ Daniel I too have a UDS and I have built a Linkmeter(wire method).

It works great on the UDS. But, I opted for a bigger fan. I tried the one Brian uses and could not get any air movement to effect the Drums temp, so I upgraded to a much larger fan 20+cfm. I get a much better temp control.

I fogot to add though, I did have to upgrade the mosfet.

I am assuming that D1 in the schematic is used as a flyback diode correct? When using a larger blower would it be a good idea to up size this to a 1N4004 perhaps? Also, it's probably safe to assume I wouldn't be using a blower that would draw anything more than 1A, but is there any harm in using a 2A diode instead just to be safe? Any advantage to using a Schottky instead or no point? Thanks!

I'm really stumped on the LCD screen. I'm getting power to it and it lights up but I'm getting no text. We've fixed the issue with R7 but it still doesn't work.

I guess I'll just get things in there the way it is and work without a working LCD screen for now, but any input is appreciated.

Did you verify that all your wires & connections are good using the continuity setting on the ohm meter...unplug from the board and use an extra pin header plugged into it.

Originally posted by Daniel Schoonover:
I'm really stumped on the LCD screen. I'm getting power to it and it lights up but I'm getting no text. We've fixed the issue with R7 but it still doesn't work.

I guess I'll just get things in there the way it is and work without a working LCD screen for now, but any input is appreciated.

I'm at work right now messing around with it, don't have any extra pin headers with me. Only have my VOM meter and the boards. I did swap around the sets of wires and still getting the same response (which would make me assume the wires aren't the issue, since if it was one wire I would think there would be a change in response if I moved them). Voltage on pin 15 is 5v pin 16 seems to be around 1.6-2.3 or so...

Originally posted by Neil Mager:
Did you verify that all your wires & connections are good using the continuity setting on the ohm meter...unplug from the board and use an extra pin header plugged into it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daniel Schoonover:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the button board sch and brd files from git:
https://github.com/CapnBry/Hea...er/tree/master/eagle

Then sent them off to dorkbot (now oshpark.com)

Originally posted by Kyle Stierwalt:
Where did you order your boards from? Do you have Gerber files?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

-----------------------------------------------------

Re-posting the below here; accidentally put it over in the old location "HeaterMeter + LinkSys WiFi Router = LinkMeter"

Since I was not able to open the brd/sch files from the Github site, I'm using Eagle 6.2.0 for Windows Light Edition, I used the files from the dropbox location below. I've used this brd file to create a gerber zip file and before sending off to Laen was just curious if the below are the same as what's in the git. The board text has SwitchBrd V1.2 and is dated 08/12/2011.

Here is the error I get in Eagle:
Loading C:/Users/hello/Desktop/LinkMeter-Button.sch ...
Error:
line 2, column 6: This is not an EAGLE file

Originally posted by AnupM:
Let me know if you want me to compress it. I can email the library to you if you like. I've put them into a dropbox folder at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1950823/Steve.lbr
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/195082...tchboard_4posv01.brd
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/195082...tchboard_4posv01.sch
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QUOTE]

mine did the same thing, found out the atmega didn't take the program.

Thanks, I was finally able to open them, was not grabbing the RAW file.

Originally posted by Neil Mager:
I got the button board sch and brd files from git:
https://github.com/CapnBry/Hea...er/tree/master/eagle

Then sent them off to dorkbot (now oshpark.com)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle Stierwalt:
Where did you order your boards from? Do you have Gerber files?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

-----------------------------------------------------

Re-posting the below here; accidentally put it over in the old location "HeaterMeter + LinkSys WiFi Router = LinkMeter"

Since I was not able to open the brd/sch files from the Github site, I'm using Eagle 6.2.0 for Windows Light Edition, I used the files from the dropbox location below. I've used this brd file to create a gerber zip file and before sending off to Laen was just curious if the below are the same as what's in the git. The board text has SwitchBrd V1.2 and is dated 08/12/2011.

Here is the error I get in Eagle:
Loading C:/Users/hello/Desktop/LinkMeter-Button.sch ...
Error:
line 2, column 6: This is not an EAGLE file

Originally posted by AnupM:
Let me know if you want me to compress it. I can email the library to you if you like. I've put them into a dropbox folder at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1950823/Steve.lbr
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/195082...tchboard_4posv01.brd
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/195082...tchboard_4posv01.sch
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QUOTE]

I'm at work right now messing around with it, don't have any extra pin headers with me. Only have my VOM meter and the boards. I did swap around the sets of wires and still getting the same response (which would make me assume the wires aren't the issue, since if it was one wire I would think there would be a change in response if I moved them). Voltage on pin 15 is 5v pin 16 seems to be around 1.6-2.3 or so...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Mager:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daniel Schoonover:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the HM led blink twice when you power it on or hit the reset? When you adjust the trimmer pot, do you see all the pixels go on to look like blocks?

But was everything else working? Probes work, everything is working correctly except for the LCD screen...
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Dave Smith:

mine did the same thing, found out the atmega didn't take the program. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back