LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 2

Up and running! I have to still connect the button, probes, and blower. Other than that it looks like its functioning like it should. Question, is there a way for the LinkMeter to broadcast its own network while still being connected to my home network as a client? That way if I'm not home or out of wireless range of my home network I could still connect to the linkmeter wirelessly. Thanks!

I soldered all the probe jacks together:
687hmq.jpg

Except the probes aren't reading right. For my maverick probes i'm getting readings of like 4*-6*. When i use the thermistor and just touch the leads to the jack i'm getting over 250*. It isn't just one jack either, this happens on all the jacks. I'm pretty sure I soldered them right, as all are zero until I plug in a probe or use the thermistor. Any ideas? Thanks.

Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
Have you set the coefficients in the web interface?

Yeah I tried that first. I loaded the coefficients for the thermistor on probe three and even after that it was reading really high and it was the same as the other jacks that I hadn't loaded anything on so it didn't seem to make any difference. Tried the same thing with the maverick probes. It wouldn't hurt anything running it with nothing connected to the probe header would it? That's how I had it running before I had the jacks soldered together just to see if it worked. I wouldn't think so, but I can't think of anything else.

I would verify that the 4 10k resistors are all correct on the HM board and Since it is doing the same thing on all ports, verify that the ground lead is good and that you are using the right terminals on the jacks.

Have you tried connecting the thermistor directly to the pin header on the HM board? That should tell you if the problem is on the board or not.

I'll try that with the thermistor when I get home. I'm pretty sure that the jacks are soldered correctly, because when i don't have a probe plugged in or have the thermistor touching the remaining jack connection and ground then they all say off. If I had them wired wrong I would get strange numbers when nothing is plugged in wouldn't I?

Yeah it seems weird. At first when I connected the jacks to the header I was getting all types of weird numbers but then I forgot that I had only soldered one pin of the header to the board to hold it in place. I went back and soldered the rest and then was getting zeros like I should but now the readings are all off.

On the previous page I posted a picture of my board in a different post and I just looked to make sure; the probe resistors are all correct.

I followed others advice and opened a random port on my firewall and forwarded it to port 80 of the linkmeter.

Originally posted by J. Winn:
Up and running! I have to still connect the button, probes, and blower. Other than that it looks like its functioning like it should. Question, is there a way for the LinkMeter to broadcast its own network while still being connected to my home network as a client? That way if I'm not home or out of wireless range of my home network I could still connect to the linkmeter wirelessly. Thanks!

Originally posted by Neil Mager:
I followed others advice and opened a random port on my firewall and forwarded it to port 80 of the linkmeter.

I think he means if his Linkmeter is a client on his network at home, but might sometimes not be near that network (at which time it's unaccessible). I ran into the same thing when I did a smoke at a friend's house.

At the time I forgot that it defaults to 192.168.1.200 on the wired ports so I didn't manage to figure out how to log in and have it ocnnect as a client to the local WiFi network.

Originally posted by Kyle Christensen:
I think he means if his Linkmeter is a client on his network at home, but might sometimes not be near that network (at which time it's unaccessible). I ran into the same thing when I did a smoke at a friend's house.

At the time I forgot that it defaults to 192.168.1.200 on the wired ports so I didn't manage to figure out how to log in and have it ocnnect as a client to the local WiFi network.

Yeah this is what I meant. I'd like to somehow set it up so it's a client on my home network but also an AP with its own SSID. I'd rather not have to always have to have an ethernet cable and computer when I want to use it. If I were able to have it broadcast an SSID, like say LinkMeter, then if I'm away and using it I can just connect to the LinkMeter SSID on my phone or iPad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle Christensen:

Yeah this is what I meant. I'd like to somehow set it up so it's a client on my home network but also an AP with its own SSID. I'd rather not have to always have to have an ethernet cable and computer when I want to use it. If I were able to have it broadcast an SSID, like say LinkMeter, then if I'm away and using it I can just connect to the LinkMeter SSID on my phone or iPad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm not certain how to do that. I'd be interested in something as well, as having to log in and reconfigure the wireless is a pain.

These type setups can be confusing if you aren't very familiar with networking so I'll try to make things a little clearer. There are workarounds but they really depend on what you're trying to do.

You can setup linkmeter to be a wireless client of your existing WLAN or an AccessPoint to a new one. I can't think of a simple way to do both.

I use 2 different SSIDs so if I want linkmeter it's one SSID and if I want my internet network it's another. The caveat to this is that when I'm connected to my linkmeter I don't have internet access. Switching back and forth is a pain.

If you only used it at home, you could make it a wireless client.

Question, is there a way for the LinkMeter to broadcast its own network while still being connected to my home network as a client?
As far as I know, even modern routers which are capable of multiple "virtual APs" can't run client mode and AP at the same time. The easiest way to do this would probably be to make a backup .tar.gz of the two configurations then just restore the one you want to change the mode between client and access point.

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
The easiest way to do this would probably be to make a backup .tar.gz of the two configurations then just restore the one you want to change the mode between client and access point.

Yeah, the problem I had was that I didn't think to do that before I wasn't near my home network, and wasn't able to connect to the router over the Lan ports (I forgot how DD-WRT's addressing is setup).

That way if I'm not home or out of wireless range of my home network I could still connect to the linkmeter wirelessly. Thanks!
That way if I'm not home or out of wireless range of my home network I could still connect to the linkmeter wirelessly. Thanks!

Just want to check we're answering the right question... If you're out of wireless range of home network then you're going to be out of range of the Linkmeter wireless range (assumption is that the Linkmeter is located at home with your Grill).

On this basis, the answer would be to setup port forwarding on your home router as per previous post.

If however you're wanting to take the Linkmeter somewhere else (a friends house) to setup with their Grill then you would either need to:
1. Configure the Linkmeter as a Wireless AP before you go; or
2. Configure the Linkmeter to be a client on their Wireless network when you get there

Or did I miss something?

Nick

I have an idea that I think may work that I'm going to try when I get home. Actually after I get my probes working right
icon_frown.gif
. I'll post if it works.

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. Winn:
Question, is there a way for the LinkMeter to broadcast its own network while still being connected to my home network as a client?
As far as I know, even modern routers which are capable of multiple "virtual APs" can't run client mode and AP at the same time. The easiest way to do this would probably be to make a backup .tar.gz of the two configurations then just restore the one you want to change the mode between client and access point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was trying to keep it simple. You're right in that you can run multiple APs at the same time I'm just not sure if you can or would want to mix them as how would you handle DHCP? I think the only solution would be to use the router function and do DHCP client or static on one side and Server on the other, of course then you would have to NAT the linkmeter address through the internal firewall.

If I had a working router here I could test.

Back