LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 2

Originally posted by Daniel Schoonover:
For the food probes yes, but the pit probe no, it should only alarm when it's out of specs (too high or too low temp), once it goes back in specs it should reset to where it will alarm if it goes of specs.

Also agree, however there should be some sort of window (like 5 min) or some sort of percentage of the temp alarm before it goes off. Kind of like the lid open mode; you don't want an alarm going off everytime you open the lid or if the temp falls below the alrm for a short period but then recovers. The pit alarm should be more lenient.

Just a heads up to anyone building from git. I pushed the HeaterMeter alarm code this morning to github, but there isn't a web interface for it. In addition the configuration has changed format slightly so when you start HeaterMeter for the first time all your alarms are probably going to go off. You can either "Reset Configuration" from the button interface or issue the following command to turn them all off from LinkMeter > Configuration > Raw set command:
al=-1,-999,-1,-999,-1,-999,-1,-999

The circuit I used connects Pin 12 on the AVR (Digital 6) -> 1k resistor -> buzzer -> GND. There's no space for it on the v3.2 board but it is pretty easy to solder it on piggyback style.

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
Just a heads up to anyone building from git. I pushed the HeaterMeter alarm code this morning to github, but there isn't a web interface for it. In addition the configuration has changed format slightly so when you start HeaterMeter for the first time all your alarms are probably going to go off. You can either "Reset Configuration" from the button interface or issue the following command to turn them all off from LinkMeter > Configuration > Raw set command:
al=-1,-999,-1,-999,-1,-999,-1,-999

The circuit I used connects Pin 12 on the AVR (Digital 6) -> 1k resistor -> buzzer -> GND. There's no space for it on the v3.2 board but it is pretty easy to solder it on piggyback style.

Thanks Bryan! <STRIKE>Just a piezo buzzer?</STRIKE> Sorry, didn't see buzzer was a link.

Is it possible to have a "virtual buzzer"? Like have an alarm on my phone or on the computer? Or is this not possible? Because the unit will be outside.

Originally posted by J. Winn:
Is it possible to have a "virtual buzzer"? Like have an alarm on my phone or on the computer? Or is this not possible? Because the unit will be outside.

I believe he is adding triggers so you can run a script, or send an email. I plan on having mine just send an email to my @wireless.att.net email address so it pages me if say.. my pit temp drops below a certain point because my fire is out of fuel.

Hopefully these triggers will allow actions like changing the pit temperature as well. That is one thing I've wanted for a long time.

dave

Originally posted by Kyle Christensen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. Winn:

I believe he is adding triggers so you can run a script, or send an email. I plan on having mine just send an email to my @wireless.att.net email address so it pages me if say.. my pit temp drops below a certain point because my fire is out of fuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by D Peart:
Hopefully these triggers will allow actions like changing the pit temperature as well. That is one thing I've wanted for a long time.
I'm holding back talking about the how the alarm works for a bit to see if any new ideas float out, but yeah you can change settings from the alarm trigger like:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
# Lower SetPoint to 180F on alarm
lmclient LMST,sp,180

# Or do something more complicated such as lower the pit temperature by 20%
# and set another alarm to go off in 10 more degrees, until the new alarm
# temperature reaches 200 degrees, at which point send an email and lower setpoint
# with the current status
NEWSET=$((SETPOINT*4/5))
NEWALARM=$((PROBE1_TEMP+10)
if [ $NEWALARM -lt 200 ] ; then
lmclient LMST,sp,$NEWSET
lmclient LMST,al,,,,$NEWALARM
else
lmclient LMST,sp,50
mail -s "[HeaterMeater] Cook Over" chunkylover53@aol.com << EOF
This message is to inform you that your HeaterMeter at $HOSTNAME
has completed cooking at $DATE $TIME.

$PROBE0_NAME: ${PROBE0_TEMP}F
$PROBE1_NAME: ${PROBE1_TEMP}F

Share and Enjoy!
EOF
fi
</pre>

Will elapsed time be a valid trigger to make an alarm off?

dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Peart:
I'm holding back talking about the how the alarm works for a bit to see if any new ideas float out, but yeah you can change settings from the alarm trigger like:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
# Lower SetPoint to 180F on alarm
lmclient LMST,sp,180

# Or do something more complicated such as lower the pit temperature by 20%
# and set another alarm to go off in 10 more degrees, until the new alarm
# temperature reaches 200 degrees, at which point send an email and lower setpoint
# with the current status
NEWSET=$((SETPOINT*4/5))
NEWALARM=$((PROBE1_TEMP+10)
if [ $NEWALARM -lt 200 ] ; then
lmclient LMST,sp,$NEWSET
lmclient LMST,al,,,,$NEWALARM
else
lmclient LMST,sp,50
mail -s "[HeaterMeater] Cook Over" chunkylover53@aol.com << EOF
This message is to inform you that your HeaterMeter at $HOSTNAME
has completed cooking at $DATE $TIME.

$PROBE0_NAME: ${PROBE0_TEMP}F
$PROBE1_NAME: ${PROBE1_TEMP}F

Share and Enjoy!
EOF
fi
</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will elapsed time be a valid trigger to make an alarm off?
No but it is on my todo list, but low priority. It isn't very easy to do but I am planning to add it to the notify system.

I've noticed a little bug in the linkmeter.

When I change my setpoint for the first time upon starting the HM, it changes from F to C. I then have to go to configuration, add an F to the set point and update the URL.

After that it works just fine,
dave

When I change my setpoint for the first time upon starting the HM, it changes from F to C. I then have to go to configuration, add an F to the set point and update the URL.
Thanks for the bug report, but I can't reproduce it. Here's the steps I take:
-- Hit the reset button on the HeaterMer (also tried "Reboot AVR" from the config page
-- Change the setpoint to e.g. 50 (both from the Home screen and the Config page)

Both seem to work fine. How are you doing it? I know there was a bug a while back that caused it to flip to C. Also can you post your version #?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Peart:
Thanks for the bug report, but I can't reproduce it. Here's the steps I take:
-- Hit the reset button on the HeaterMer (also tried "Reboot AVR" from the config page
-- Change the setpoint to e.g. 50 (both from the Home screen and the Config page)

Both seem to work fine. How are you doing it? I know there was a bug a while back that caused it to flip to C. Also can you post your version #? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is what I do. Just tried it again and it happened again.

- Change set point from home screen
- changes to Celcius
- go to config page and change there as 250F
- fixes it

So I don't reset the AVR, just plug it in and it resumes with the pit temp as it was when I last turned it off.

My AVR version is:
Version 20120226A

I can't find a LinkMeter Version. I updated it a few months ago.

dave

Ah yes, that was fixed in March so you'd need a version 20120309A or greater. Try running the AVR update from web, which is I think from May.

Yep that fixed it.

dave

Ah yes, that was fixed in March so you'd need a version 20120309A or greater. Try running the AVR update from web, which is I think from May.

Put brisket on. Should be done in about 8 hours. This is just a practice run for the 4th.

So nice to be able to monitor the smoker from my office. No having to go walk out to the smoker to check on it. I still do, just to see it in process, but I don't have to.

dave

Can someone please double check this setup; it was a bit unclear to me by looking at some of the pictures. I'm a total novice to soldering/electronics...great project, having fun. Basically soldered the gnd to the single post sticking out, and the others to one of the post on the back.

12+-+1

Bryan,

A while back we talked about adjusting PIDD to reduce oscillations. I just got around to trying this out on my current smoke and changing it from 5 -> 50 made a big improvement for me.

Capture3.png

That looks about right.
Originally posted by Kyle Stierwalt:
Can someone please double check this setup; it was a bit unclear to me by looking at some of the pictures. I'm a total novice to soldering/electronics...great project, having fun. Basically soldered the gnd to the single post sticking out, and the others to one of the post on the back.

12+-+1

A while back we talked about adjusting PIDD to reduce oscillations. I just got around to trying this out on my current smoke and changing it from 5 -> 50 made a big improvement for me.
Nice! 50? Man that seems crazy high. Did you stash that RRD? I'd be interested in looking at the detail a little. I assume you changed the PIDD around 10:20?

Back