LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you loaded the proper version. If you load the wrong version this is what you will get.

dave

Originally posted by Dave Smith:
got it loaded, LCD shows a single row of squares?

If you have the latest router update you can do it from there.

It will work well enough to connect to the router and upgrade. Don't ask me how I know
icon_smile.gif

Here is what you want:

http://capnbry.net/linkmeter/s...heatermeter.cpp.hexA

crap.....anyone got a link to 3.1, can't find it.

here's what I get when I load the file -
const struct flash_file_t {
const char *fname;
const unsigned int page;
const unsigned int size;
} FLASHFILES[] PROGMEM = {
{ FNAME000, 3, 62269 },
{ 0, 0, 0},
};

#endif /* __FLASHFILES_H__ */
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

now getting

#ifndef __FLASHFILES_H__
#define __FLASHFILES_H__

#define DATAFLASH_PAGE_BYTES 528

const char FNAME000[] PROGMEM = "heatermeter.cpp.hexA";

const struct flash_file_t {
const char *fname;
const unsigned int page;
const unsigned int size;
} FLASHFILES[] PROGMEM = {
{ FNAME000, 3, 62269 },
{ 0, 0, 0},
};

#endif /* __FLASHFILES_H__ */

Where exactly are you getting that? If you're using the Arduino IDE, you can't load the hex file in the IDE.

If you've got all the source and the heatermeter project loaded, you can just go to hmcore.h and remove the 2 slashes at the beginning of this line:
//#define SHIFTREGLCD_NATIVE // Use the native shift register instead of SPI (HM PCB <v3.2)

And compile and upload that.

Ok, I was using IDE to load the firmware.. or so I thought, what do I use to load everything for board 3.1?
also tried the usbtiny and get nothingbut errors

Using arduino 1.0 and loading heatmeter firmware, get this:

In file included from grillpid.cpp:2:
/grillpid.h:4:20: error: wiring.h: No such file or directory
grillpid.h:36: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:103: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:105: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:139: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:145: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:148: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.cpp:54: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void TempProbe::readTemp(unsigned char)':
grillpid.cpp:63: error: 'analogRead' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::commitFanSpeed()':
grillpid.cpp:156: error: 'analogWrite' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp:166: error: 'analogWrite' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp: At global scope:
grillpid.cpp:173: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::resetLidOpenResumeCountdown()':
grillpid.cpp:186: error: '_pitTemperatureReached' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::setSetPoint(int)':
grillpid.cpp:192: error: '_pitTemperatureReached' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp:193: error: '_manualFanMode' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::setFanSpeed(int)':
grillpid.cpp:199: error: '_manualFanMode' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp:208: error: 'boolean' does not name a type

It is not finding wire.h so something in your install isn't correct.

dave

Using arduino 1.0 and loading heatmeter firmware, get this:

/grillpid.h:4:20: error: wiring.h: No such file or directory
grillpid.h:36: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:103: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:105: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:139: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:145: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.h:148: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.cpp:54: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void TempProbe::readTemp(unsigned char)':
grillpid.cpp:63: error: 'analogRead' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::commitFanSpeed()':
grillpid.cpp:156: error: 'analogWrite' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp:166: error: 'analogWrite' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp:173: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::resetLidOpenResumeCountdown()':
grillpid.cpp:186: error: '_pitTemperatureReached' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::setSetPoint(int)':
grillpid.cpp:192: error: '_pitTemperatureReached' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp:193: error: '_manualFanMode' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp: In member function 'void GrillPid::setFanSpeed(int)':
grillpid.cpp:199: error: '_manualFanMode' was not declared in this scope
grillpid.cpp:208: error: 'boolean' does not name a type

Dave,

I just downloaded and compiled the code. Here are the steps I went through.

1. Downloaded and installed Arduino 1.0
2. Downloaded the heatermeter code and unzipped it
3. copied the heatermeter directory from the zip file into the arduino 1.0 directory. It will be there with the directories called lib, libraries, example, hardware, etc
4. copied the two directories from the download zip under libraries into the libraries directory in the arduino install area (jeelib and ShiftRegLCD)
5. opened the heatermeter/heatermeter.ino file in arduino
6. uncommented line 10 in hmcore.cpp: #define SHIFTREGLCD_NATIVE
7. compiled

give it a shot.

dave

GRRR.....I give up.

Originally posted by D Peart:
Dave,

3. copied the heatermeter directory from the zip file into the arduino 1.0 directory. It will be there with the directories called lib, libraries, example, hardware, etc
4. copied the two directories from the download zip under libraries into the libraries directory in the arduino install area (jeelib and ShiftRegLCD)
7. compiled

give it a shot.

dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Smith:
GRRR.....I give up.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now I get this after removing the # in line 10.:

hmcore.cpp:30:2: error: #else without #if
hmcore.cpp:32:2: error: #endif without #if
hmcore.cpp:27: error: 'ifdef' does not name a type

Finally got round to getting setup for a trial run of the linkmeter on the Egg... primarily because I have have brisket to cook long and slow tonight.

The test startup was good... the blower really made a difference in the time it took to get the egg up to temperature. Watching the pit temperature rise and the blower speed decrease was a sight to behold!

Unfortnnately, after a short time of a stable temerature, the Pit started (and continued) to rise beyond the threshold. The blower was not on and the linkmeter was doing it's job properly. I'm assuming therefore that there is too much airflow even with the blower off.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> How 'open' do others have the daisywheel? I had considered closing it completely
<LI> It looks like there is a reasnoable amount of 'free space' internally within the blower which is allowing too much natrual airflow. Has anyone else had this problem?
<LI> I have thought about 'sealing up' the blower and just punching a couple of holes in the housing minimise the natrual airflow - has anyone else done this? [/list]

Thanks

Getting closer. You don't want the # removed, just the two slashes in front of it.

So line 10 should go from:
//#define SHIFTREGLCD_NATIVE

to:
#define SHIFTREGLCD_NATIVE

dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Peart:
Dave,

7. compiled

give it a shot.

dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Smith:
GRRR.....I give up.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now I get this after removing the # in line 10.:

hmcore.cpp:30:2: error: #else without #if
hmcore.cpp:32:2: error: #endif without #if
hmcore.cpp:27: error: 'ifdef' does not name a type </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have an Egg, but for my UDS I have the valve almost completely closed when using the heatermeter. If I don't I have this exact same problem.

One other tip that I do. Before opening the smoker, I completely close the intake valve. Wait for about 10 min, or until I can see the temp going down, then I open the lid, do my stuff as quickly as possible and close the lid. I then wait for the temperature spike to settle, and then re-open the intake valve.

If I don't do this the in-rush of oxygen from opening the lid gives me a huge (+100F) spike in temp. Not a HM problem, more of a UDS problem. Don't know if this will help anyone else.

dave

Originally posted by N Waring:
Finally got round to getting setup for a trial run of the linkmeter on the Egg... primarily because I have have brisket to cook long and slow tonight.

The test startup was good... the blower really made a difference in the time it took to get the egg up to temperature. Watching the pit temperature rise and the blower speed decrease was a sight to behold!

Unfortnnately, after a short time of a stable temerature, the Pit started (and continued) to rise beyond the threshold. The blower was not on and the linkmeter was doing it's job properly. I'm assuming therefore that there is too much airflow even with the blower off.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> How 'open' do others have the daisywheel? I had considered closing it completely
<LI> It looks like there is a reasnoable amount of 'free space' internally within the blower which is allowing too much natrual airflow. Has anyone else had this problem?
<LI> I have thought about 'sealing up' the blower and just punching a couple of holes in the housing minimise the natrual airflow - has anyone else done this? [/list]

Thanks

I'm giving my Linkmeter a run. I thought I'd share a few set up photos.

KettleAdapter.jpg

Here is my adapter, it's a stainless steel cat dish connected to 1" SCAT tubing. I pop riveted the connector in along with a smear of silicon. I found a perfect sized dish that is small enough to fit within the ash catcher holder of a OTG Kettle, and it also will be just the right size to fit on the vents of a WSM.

Blower.jpg

I used the same connector on the other end of the hose, but cut, bent, pop rivet, and siliconed it to the blower.

RainBox.jpg

Here is the Linkmeter stuffed in a rain box. The PVC elbows aren't glued in yet, that's why they aren't pointing straight down.

KettleandBox.jpg

Here's the first run. So far my food probe isn't showing up, so after today's cook, I'll probably resolder the 5 pin connector and make sure it's got a good connection to the Heatermeter board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back