LinkMeter v11 and Firmware Beta

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The v4.2 hardware release is drawing close, and it's been eight months since the last software release (bug fix release aside). The new hardware needs new software to complete all its whizbang new features so let's get this out of the way first. I look back at the over 150 changes and wonder, "Why does it seem like so little has changed?" You may feel differently though! This software is beta, and this list of changes is beta as well so if there's something I've forgotten let me know so I can fix the changelog for release.

OpenWrt (RaspberryPi) firmware updates
  • Default to AP mode "heatermeter" for initial setup rather than leaving the wifi off. HeaterMeter is http://openwrt.lan/ or http://192.168.201.1/ on the wifi. Lan still supports DHCP client or http://192.168.200.1/
  • Home page loads faster, especially on mobile where it is easily twice as fast.
  • norestore option now works properly if using windows's notepad.exe to edit cmdline.txt
  • Probe noise information displayed on home page. Don't see a yellow or red symbol on the page? That's good news! (avr+)
  • "degrees per hour" display is now calculated on the server using least squares fitting linear regression rather than simple math in the browser. Allows more accurate estimates as well as only requiring half as much data
  • webui conf page now lists the chosen probe coefficient rather than pesky numbers
  • Switching between thermocouple and internal probe types defaults the resistance and mv/C
  • Support for RT5370 usb wifi adapters
  • Added wifi-ap in addition to wifi-client shell script for easy wifi mode configuration
  • The home page is now editable by defining your own user CSS (saved across updates)
  • Home page remembers time scale and which probes are shown across sessions
  • Home page swapped sides of fan percentage and temperature on the graph, temperature now on the right
  • Home page now accepts "XX%" to set manual fan mode in addition to "-XX"
  • Include unknown probe steinhart calculation (command line only)
  • Home page no longer says "Current ..." at the top
  • Switch between pulse / voltage blower output mode (avr+)

AVR firmware update 20140630B
  • Voltage output mode for v4.2 boards
  • Freerunning ADC averages more probe samples together for better noise rejection
  • Noise range output every 4 seconds
  • More accurate thermocouple readings using dynamic reference adjustment
  • Better button debouncing for more accurate button press detection
  • Smooth servo adjustment instead of jerking to position
  • Updated the default config to use more aggressive PID constants (0, 4, 0.02, 5) and safer servo pulse durations (1000-2000us). Voltage mode is now the default fan mode for blank AVR flashes
  • Fix fan turning off or on while alarm is ringing
  • Tons of internal changes to reduce firmware size and speed many internal internals

Update by going to System -> Backup / Flash Firmware. Paste this url in the image url (.gz) box and press the button.
http://capnbry.net/linkmeter/snapshots/bcm2708/openwrt-rpi.gz

After updating go to LinkMeter -> AVR Firmware and update from the bundled hm.hex to get that as well.

A few of the changes you'll only get if you choose to not "Keep settings" when updating the firmware. They're minor though, so no hard feelings if you don't wipe your device. To revert to v10, use this firmware url and then reflash the v10 AVR firmware once that's done
http://capnbry.net/linkmeter/release/bcm2708/10/openwrt-rpi.gz

Bryan, when browsing through the index.htm file I found a function called 'noisebtnClicked()'. Does this mean it is possible to show the probe noise in the main graph by pressing a hotkey?

If yes, what is the hotkey?

Is it worthwhile updating v4.1 HM's to this?

If you run a servo damper I would recommend updating, the smooth 50 step motion is WAY better than the original fast jerky motion on the servo. There are a lot of other updates that are really nice as well, I would say go for it... That said, Bryan states it is still in beta so... though I have been running it for a while now with no issues (on my HMv4.2.3 board)

Peter, on the noise indicator, it is my understanding that the noise symbol should just pop up in yellow or red to indicate severity when there is noise on a probe, you shouldn't need to hit a hotkey to enable it (I'm pretty sure), though I have never seen it yet on my HMv4.2.3 build (so that's a good thing!)

When will the new hardware be out? And how do I get it? I want to start my build and this seems like the first piece I should get. I have no clue what I'm doing however... Hopefully I'll learn as I go!

Having built a HMv4.0, 4.1 and 4.2.3 beta I would personally wait the couple weeks for the 4.2 release, its the best of the lot by far from my experience...

The noise graph and the ability to switch the probe being tracked relies on the avr firmware including support for it. The standard build does not have this because it is always on and gets in the way, and also takes about half the ram on the avr.

Excuse the brief reply, I am out of the country until this evening so I am typing on my phone.

Put this on my 4.0 yesterday, upgrading from v6 or v7 or whatever was available last April when I built it & it solved my 732 probes not working until ~90* which meat 1-2 hours cooking on the meat probes...)
I've got a 2nd 4.0 90% finished, but I'm going to build a 4.2 as soon as it's ready!

Well done & thanks! (Or would Medium Rare be a better congratulations?)

Back