Limited Edition Red Kettle

Probably retailers are pretty much sold out. It was only a run of 10,000 or something like that. It was a great idea. Too bad they were so poorly made :( .

Insides looks like it hasn’t gotten much use, but outside suggests it was left outside uncovered. Still not a bad grill for $50.

3506780C-198A-4350-BDD4-22C7224EDC50.jpegE13C5CF0-A8A0-4BC1-B1BF-30FB9D1E7B9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Kyle,
For $50 you did great, and that one looks pretty decent. Check out these that I saw for sale at Home Depot back when they came out:

2 bad Red Kettles on sale at Home Depot.jpg

Red kettle with big chip.jpg

These were made in China. Apparently there are issues with making red porcelain related to the chemicals used. Maybe banned in the US. Anyway, none of these have the deep red of the original red kettle, so yours probably doesn't really have fade. Many had bad orange peel, too.

I will take my old classic red, a few scars but truly RED:

zcdw8H3.jpg

Last edited:
Sprayed some Simple Green inside the bowl. I’ve never been able to clean a grill so easily. This is what it looks like after 5 min of cleaning. I will be able to get this sucker shining like new in no time!

Strange how the inside is black paint and outside is Red. Should be a popular in my area since red and black are the colors of two big sports teams here Falcons and UGA

C42FF229-C015-4B7E-8083-49959F2717C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Kyle.......I bought one of these about a year and a half ago from TrueValue.com for 99 bucks w/free shipping and picked it up at Howard Brothers True Value in Duluth. Have yet to use it.

Now that I know what you paid, and your plans, I’ll be “that guy” who offers you 60 bucks once you post it on FB Marketplace. :) :D;)

Kyle.......I bought one of these about a year and a half ago from TrueValue.com for 99 bucks w/free shipping and picked it up at Howard Brothers True Value in Duluth. Have yet to use it.

Now that I know what you paid, and your plans, I’ll be “that guy” who offers you 60 bucks once you post it on FB Marketplace. :) :D;)
Haha, there is always the low ball offer guys. I've learned it's not even worth replying to them because they never come off the low price.

Last edited:
Kyle,
Yours looks better than many, and I definitely think you got a good enough deal to make some profit. Even I might have bought that one for fifty bucks :giggle: ! Looking good:redmastertouch:!

As far as the color, that is how it is on all kettles and gas grills, too. I assume the make the porcelain in black and then the colors are applied on top of that. You can often see black showing through on gas grills when you take off the side pieces and you can sometimes see the red (or other color) overspray inside. It is not paint, though, it is more porcelain coating - at least that is what I understand.

I noticed one of those in a neighbors yard last fall, people come and go from there pretty regularly so, I don’t know if they are still there. I wasn’t terribly interested when they were first released but, I might be if I could find one for the “right price”.

Kyle,
Yours looks better than many, and I definitely think you got a good enough deal to make some profit. Even I might have bought that one for fifty bucks :giggle: ! Looking good:redmastertouch:!

As far as the color, that is how it is on all kettles and gas grills, too. I assume the make the porcelain in black and then the colors are applied on top of that. You can often see black showing through on gas grills when you take off the side pieces and you can sometimes see the red (or other color) overspray inside. It is not paint, though, it is more porcelain coating - at least that is what I understand.
I didn't realize they all have a base color of black. I just haven't handled too many of the colored grills before I suppose. I'll have to take a closer look at my crimson one later today.

Are all of the new Kettles made in China now, or was it just these limited edition red colored ones?
On the red one I have, when I took off the lid handle/heat shield to clean, I noticed the red paint has chipped off a little around where the two screw holes are for the handle bolts. Not a big deal since you can't notice once handle is reinstalled, but still not sign of a quality product.

I've got it all cleaned up, just have the grates marinating in a garbage bag full of oven cleaner now.

Back