lighting the Weber chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Hammond

TVWBB Fan
I had been using two pieces of wadded up newspaper to light my chimney. The results were always paper ash flying around everywhere as the newspaper burnt. I now put 2 briquettes soaked with lighter fluid under the full unlit chimney. It really seems to work well. Anybody got other ideas?

Weber starter cubes work good but i prefer a propane torch or map gas torch.Just fill up the charcoal ring and blast it with the torch.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

using the torch, you are lighting it from the top and letting the top coals get the lower ones burning Im assuming? How long does this take?

Billy, Yes just like the MM only instead of using lit coals i use the torch to light the the charcoal. 5 min or less to light 4 - 5 spots on top (big spots). I also light the kettle the same way.
icon_biggrin.gif
It works great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Hammond:
I had been using two pieces of wadded up newspaper to light my chimney. The results were always paper ash flying around everywhere as the newspaper burnt. I now put 2 briquettes soaked with lighter fluid under the full unlit chimney. It really seems to work well. Anybody got other ideas? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Avoid starter fluid at all costs. Try this: Crumple two sheets of paper towel into a ball the size of a tennis ball. Spray liberally with PAM. Light it and set the chimney on top. Works just as good as starter cubes.

Billy, This is what i use. I got it at Lowe's TS 4000. Comes in handy when you need to solder copper pipe. Mapp gas burns hotter than propane. The nice thing about this kit is you can use both. Use propane to light the WSM and Mapp Gas to solder your pipes.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Thanks Brian..I'll have to get one soon. I think thats the best idea I've heard for lighting the chimney. Seems like that thing would make quick work if you had to add some hot coals to a dying WSM real fast also..

Billy, yes it does and yes it will. Not to metion you don't have the smoke and ash flying around to deal with.
icon_smile.gif
It also works great when finishing roasted peppers. All the green/red spots of skin that didn't get charred while roasting them.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Bryan

I was firing up the chimney starter (with newspaper) the other day to cook some ribs. My new neighbor walked over and she asked me if it was something to keep the bugs away. I had never paid attention to the smell before. I'll be using something else from now on.

I like Doug's paper towel and Pam idea. Alton Brown uses a similar method, but veggie oil.

Weber makes fire starter cubes. Picked mine up from Lowes for $0.83/box on close-out pricing! They work great and don't smell or ash!!

They haven't started doing close outs on any grilling items around here. The grill stuff is right beside the Christmas stuff they are starting to set out. Whatever happened to no Christmas stuff until Thanksgiving was over?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Weber makes fire starter cubes. Picked mine up from Lowes for $0.83/box on close-out pricing! They work great and don't smell or ash!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Lowes has had the starter cubes on closeout all summer long. I now have 17 boxes! That should last me a while
icon_smile.gif
They work great.

You can also use the old backpacker trick of a cotton ball dredged in vaseline. Store them in 35mm film canisters for when you need one. They should burn for about 10 minutes.

The paper towel/vegetable oil trick is the same principal.

I just fired up my kettle to do some boneless chicken thighs wrapped in bacon with jalapeno's and sausage stuffed in the middle...but thats another story...
I used the paper towels with pam..worked great, no ashes flying around and it actually smelled kinda good while it was burning..mmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back