Life Lessons

JKalchik

TVWBB Emerald Member
Also known as the School of Hard Knocks.

Lessee, a few.....

1) Rotating machinery is flat out dangerous. Keep hands, feet and all loose clothing inside the ride at all times.
2) Never walk under anything that's being lifted or suspended.
3) This one is gonna be a bit more grounded: Take care of yourself, ain't nobody else gonna do that for you.

So, in regards to #3.... when I was welding up my monster smoker, I was working by myself in a hot garage (ambient temps of 80+, higher close to hot steel,) and took almost a month. I lost 25 lbs. in about 4 weeks. Part of the reason behind losing so much weight is that I'm a Type 2D diabetic, diagnosed at 35. I am insulin dependent now, but in contrast to most Type 2 diabetics, I'm just not producing, I can utilize what I have and what I inject. One of the hallmarks of this particular condition is a relatively speaking easy weight loss. Back to the story.... After I was done welding and fabricating, I smoked a single pork tenderloin, then winched it up onto my 18' flat bed trailer and hauled it 600 miles east to smoke food for my brother's surprise birthday party (which was a hit, BTW.) Something else about diabetes: exercise can drastically affect insulin utilization. Did I mention I'd been working hard on this thing for a month? Yeah, my insulin utilization was pretty darned good. And at dinner with the family a couple of days later, I didn't budget right for dinner, just didn't eat enough carbohydrates, and effectively took far too much insulin.

My g/f & I were staying in a vacation rental (owned by someone I went to high school with) along with my oldest sister, and my little sister with her family. I went to bed early, my g/f came in an hour or an hour and a half later, only to find that I'd started to curl into a fetal position, was quite unresponsive, and had very labored breathing. In spite of being a professional blood banker with a med tech background, and having watched me with my blood glucose meter for nearly 20 years, she just could not get it to work (and got my blood all over.) She squawked for my sister, said she was calling 911. This house is out in the middle of nowhere, I think the nearest street light was several miles away, and there was no way the ambulance crew would find this place in the dark without assistance. My sister got in her car, and parked it with the headlights shining on the road. The first responder was also someone I went to high school with, got my meter to work, and measured my blood glucose at 28 (US scale.) This level is considered to be immediately life threatening. His crew was horsing a 1 ton ambulance something like 12 miles down twisting turning country road with a response time of around 15 minutes, which is just absolutely freakin' AWESOME. They jacked an I/V into me, and push 15 grams of glucose. It was like flipping a switch, and I came to. "What the hell are all you people doing in my bedroom????"

I declined transport, did continue to support my glucose levels, called my clinic the following morning, and was told that I'd done just about all that I could do. Slight side note, by that point, I had already self-recovered from a blood sugar crash down into the upper 30s. That, by itself, is still a concern, oddly enough, I generally tend to wake up when my blood sugar drops through the 60s into the 50s. Still, absolutely nothing I care to repeat.

I did stop by the ambulance barn a couple of days later, to check that they had all the paperwork they needed, as well as to let them know that everything was fine with me. I guess that I really shouldn't be too surprised that nearly none of their patients ever come back with feedback.

Since then, while I still do have the occasional drop, I've never gone below about 60 or so since (knocks wood.)

What do ya'll have for things learned the hard way?

Living with a diabetic wife, and the ups and downs related to the disease, I'm very happy to hear you did not die in your sleep. Just when you think you figured out how to live with it, it throws you a curve ball. God bless you. I hope you only have better days from now on.

Not something I learned the hard way but good advice. "Family comes first".

Living with a diabetic wife, and the ups and downs related to the disease, I'm very happy to hear you did not die in your sleep. Just when you think you figured out how to live with it, it throws you a curve ball. God bless you. I hope you only have better days from now on.

Not something I learned the hard way but good advice. "Family comes first".
Oh boy ain't THAT the truth. I still occasionally will see a "dip" low but since now losing (according to my endocrinologist) 60lbs since he last saw me, I have been able to leave the long acting insulin in the fridge, and he's wanting to have another quick look at my labs in 4 mos because he thinks he may be able to take me off even the Mounjaro. He also thinks I should simply maintain where I am at weight wise (currently 186). I guess sometimes I can see his point as you can now really see the loss in my face. and I am getting a lot of the hanging skin (especially butt and upper thighs), but, I am still "thick" around the middle and my "gut".
But, his thought behind the advice was at current age he thinks in 2 or 3 years I may have trouble maintaining my weight. IDK, bottom line I have shrunk a bit over the years. late teens early 20s through into my mid 40s, I was a hair under 6'3". Now, barely making 6'1". Also when I graduated school I weighed a whopping 128 (yeah I was as a string bean). Until I discovered beer :D
155# when wife and I got hitched. (this wife not first one LOL) so I was 35ish.
But even not too long ago, thanks to my daughter being on the sharing part of my CGM, 3am she's woken up by my alarm that I was unconscious through, and roused me on the phone and my wife, only to find my sugar had tanked down to about 35!
I could not even fully read my BGM or my CGM. But some glucose tabs and a nice glass of apple juice and both my vision and sugar came back. PHEW! IDK what would have happened had my daughter not woke me up because my wife had turned the app off thinking that because I wasn't on the insulin there was no more worry.
So J I FULLY understand the struggle. I guess too once I get off the Mounjaro my next struggle is gonna be controlling how much I eat. Because when you get off the drug your appetite can return to more normal. Though the docs feel (hope?) by then I will have trained my big fine bod to get by with less and maintain the loss.

Yeesh. Yeah, you're going through a lot of the same stuff I have been.

The first time I recognized a major crash was on a business trip, late at night, alone in a hotel room. Meter said upper 30s. Threw on a pair of jeans and a shirt, and walked down to the front desk. "I need a candy bar, please, charge it to room xxx." The 2 gents at the front desk were having problems with the point of sale interface, and one of them realized I was a bit unsteady on my feet. He handed me a bar and said "on the house. have a seat for a minute & recover, please." Apparently, self-recovering from the upper 30s isn't all that common.

I'm not on a CGM yet, and there are days that it would seem to be awfully good.

Diet.... I really do have to pay attention to what I'm eating. One of the hardest things to give up was high calorie soda. There are still days that I'd kill for a full sugar Mountain Dew, but that ain't happenin'. My family for years after I was diagnosed was "what do we need to do for you for dinner?" Not a darned thing, family dinners have been pretty well balanced, it's on me to figure it out, and I've never had a problem doing that.

Yep, it‘s a tough learning curve to say the least, my doctor was pretty clear “you can have pretty much anything you want, but, not as much as you used to.” Consequently, it’s just a constant thing gnawing at the back of every waking moment!
Really, it’s not hard, just all consuming!

1) Rotating machinery is flat out dangerous. Keep hands, feet and all loose clothing inside the ride at all times.
Another tale.....

In the mid 60's, Dad bought a 41' flight elevator, and a 10hp Cub Cadet lawn tractor. He wanted this particular lawn tractor because he could get a PTO kit for it, with a standard 540 RPM shaft. Or so he thought..... PTO kit came separate from the tractor. Dad & my older brother split the tractor one night, and installed the PTO. Dad said "Try it tonight?" My brother said sure, so they ran out into the yard to the elevator and connected the shaft. No, its not a standard PTO, it is splined like a 540 RPM PTO, but it turns BACKWARDS. Well, that ain't no good.

The shaft on the elevator ran across the body, a few feet up from the bottom, with a bearing on both side. Local machine shop turned out an adapter to bolt on the other side of the elevator so the Cub Cadet could run the elevator. We ran it like that for a couple of decades without any issue from the bare knuckle universal joint at the elevator. Until.....

Dad was baling hay by himself on a Sunday morning, when he stepped backwards just a little bit too far. Before he knew what was happening, he was flat on his back, looking straight up at the PTO shaft, in nothing but his underwear. That open universal joint had grabbed the back of his overalls, whipped him down, stripped all of the clothes off him and snapped his work belt in 3 places. Amazingly enough, he only had a couple of bruises. He tied on what was left of his clothes with baler twine, went home for a new set, and within a couple of hours, that U-joint did have a guard mounted over it.

Power equipment doesn't care about you, and that was only a 10hp shaft.

Back