Lid vs Top Grate Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Marlatt

TVWBB Member
I tested my cheapo candy thermo and Polder with the boiling point calc. and they were very close to accurate. For the first time I wanted to see the difference between lid temp with the candy thermo and top grate with the polder in a potato. To my surprise the difference is nearly 55 degrees. Right now the Polder measures 215 and the thermo in the lid reads 270. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Bob

If the tip of the probe is on the metal grate that can effect the reading.
You may want to hang the Polder probe in the top a long side the candy therm and see what the Polder reads at.
Jim

My thought is that the initial readings may be far apart but the difference should be reduced as the water increases in temp and the rest of the smoker comes up to temp.
Did you put cold or hot water in the pan? Let us know the results of your findings.

Doug W

To answer y'all:
The temps started to come together closer after about 4 hours. At the end of the cook the thermos were only about 20 degrees apart. The WSM has been used at least 15 times. I fired it up with a chimney-full then added another layer on top (briquettes). Thinking back, maybe the candy thermo stem could go in lower?

Thanks,
Bob

Oops, forgot to mention I started with cold water to bring the temp down, and added hot during the cook. Thanks again guys. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back