Lid vs Cooking Grate Temp

Clay Cope

TVWBB Fan
So here's a question I have been thinking about. Any feedback or opinions on would be greatly appreciated. Let me start by saying that yes, I am nitpicking, but I'd like to understand the concept. Here's a brief description of the dilemma.

At the beginning of a smoke, the lid temperature is warmer than the cooking grate temperature. This makes sense because obviously heat rises. However, if I am smoking a brisket for example, as the brisket warms up, it begins to radiate heat as well. At some point, the cooking grate may surpass the lid temperature. When/if this happens, in theory should the temperature of the smoker be reduced to bring the cooking grate back down to the desired temperature levels, or should I continue to use the lid thermometer as my reference point?

With all due respect Clay I do not put that much thought into it. I set the therm in place and go with it. Usually in the lid. I dont even make allowances for the difference in lid/grate temp. If the lid is in the 225-250 range I am happy.

I've always operated under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that once temps are stabilized in the cooker that the dome temp is about 15 degrees higher than the top grate.

I don't remember where I read that, but odds are that it was somewhere on this site. It was likely when I was a new owner, or maybe even still a prospective owner of a WSM, and whomever stated it had (at least at that time) enough credibility and/or it was backed up by enough opinions, that I took it more or less as gospel.

Over time I've become less and less concerned with a few degrees difference here and there anyway!

Clay,
I doubt very much the grate temps would overtake the lid temps as the way I see it, If your lid temp is around 220-250F and you cook your brisket and pull it off when internal temp gets to 190F then I don't see the grate overtaking the lid temp.
I'm not sure about the WSM but with my performer, I have noticed there could be as much as 50F diff between the lid and grate but keep in mind it's a much bigger chamber.
Also keep the end of your temp probe clean and free of baked on gunk as it could misread the proper temps.

Cheers

Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
I've always operated under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that once temps are stabilized in the cooker that the dome temp is about 15 degrees higher than the top grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it depends on "where" you take your lid temps. The length of the probe on the lid thermometer seems to weigh heavily into what temps you'll read as those of us with the Weber provided therms (with a stubby 1.5" probe) on our new WSM's are finding when comparing to cook temperature data from folks using longer probed Tel-Tru's and candy therms on their older WSM's.

I agree that the general rule is the lid is a higher temp than the grate. However, in my last brisket smoke, the cooking grate was clearly 30 to 40 degrees warmer than the lid.

I personally think this is the case because of the heat being put off by the brisket. I could way off on that guess. The other alternative is that the lid thermometer which came on my WSM is just off.

None of it matters. If you get used to temping in one place or another and you get used to turning out good product then you're fine. A significant number of problems that outdoor cooks have -- or outdoor cooks think they have -- relate to a fascination (read: anxiety over) cooktemps, temp differences between grate and lid, temp differences between where they cook and where others cook, and so on. An attachment to this sort of stuff has prolonged reaching what individual cooks would likely define as success very often, as we've seen on this board alone for years.

Meat internal doesn't get hotter than the boiling point of water (which is why we don't see internals of 220 or 250, etc.); once the moisture is cooked out of it entirely the internal can rise. Meat surfaces -- since they are in direct contact with the surrounding hot air, a pan's or grill's surface, whatever -- do get hotter but it is just the surface. Still, because of the cooling effects of evaporation, exposed surfaces are cooler than ambient temps.

Let me throw one more option at you, Clay:

I would guess that one of your thermometers is off. In reality, one would expect the grate to start out a fair amount cooler, and gradually catch up to (or nearly so) the lid temp. This is basically what you are seeing, only the relative range of the two thermometers is off.

I'd check their calibration.

JimT

This is definitely a closed issue, and yes, way over thinking it. Just curious what the "correct theory" would be. Kruger nailed it. If it turns out good, then it doesn't matter. Drink more, think less!

Every time I have measured (lots), at constant temp in the 250 range, the vent is 15-20 higher than the top grate. I now only use the vent as it is easier to peasure, just dangle the probe through the vent hole.

Back