Lid Holder Mod?

D Arita

TVWBB Fan
Anyone here do a mod to hold the lid when off the cooker? I had 22" kettle that had the handy hook in the lid and wished the 22" WSM had a similar thing going. I don't like putting the lid on the deck because of grease rings.

I have seen some mods here, do a search. Also look for posts by Mac McClure, I know he has some lid holders on his 18.5 WSM. If not mistaken. I personally use a narrow wooden table in back of my cooker. Holds my Maverick, my tools and the lids as well as gloves and trays of meat, although not all at the same time.

Two words. Concrete countertops! Put the lid on and wipe it down when done! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is lid holder that I made for my SJG mini smoker. It only cost me about $1.50 and 10 minutes time.
Hope it helps, and good luck
Tim

D,
Order the Slide-ASide lid holder here (Helps TVWBB) and use it to hold the lid.
I tweaked mine to fit my 18.5 WSM.
DSCN2910.JPG

It works great. Plus it stores inside when not in use.

Didn't realizes the slide-aside's work on WSM's. Good to know ;)

I have a 4 by 4 pc of ply wood that I always break out when cooking. One side is grease rings the other clean! Plenty of room for all sections and grates.

Originally posted by Mac McClure:
D,
Order the Slide-ASide lid holder here (Helps TVWBB) and use it to hold the lid.
I tweaked mine to fit my 18.5 WSM.
DSCN2910.JPG

It works great. Plus it stores inside when not in use.

Looks good, Mac. The add says these are designed to work on either the 18 or the 22. How much tweaking is required to get it to work ok on the 18? You mention it can be stored inside, is this on the top grate or bottom grate or either?

Thanks

Wayne, I think the opperative wording in the description:

#16116 which will fit all Weber 18.5" and 22.5" Charcoal Kettle Grills.

Is Kettle Grills.

Slight mod needed for WSM.

Mark

Originally posted by Jennifer K:
The side holder sure looks easier than my improvisation!

lidhookforWSM.jpg
Jennifer, I like yours. Looks like a WSM hair dryer. Great for those rainy days or for those hot muggy days. Now why didn't I think of that?
Probably cause I don't have any hair!

Originally posted by mk evenson:
Jennifer, I like yours. Looks like a WSM hair dryer. Great for those rainy days or for those hot muggy days. Now why didn't I think of that?
Probably cause I don't have any hair!
LOL! Yes, this is the WSM double duty "secret weapon" ... Bored on those long overnight cooks, ladies? Worried about how your hair smells when you finally crawl into bed next to Mr. ZZZ-While-She-QQQs ? Weber has the solution.... set your hair using the cunningly assembled hanging lid dryer!

Anything that'll make it easier for ya is fine, but I really like the Slide-Aside mod that Mac did. I've been using it for a few months now, and really like it. It's easy to reposition so that it breaks the wind if you're needing to tend to meat in foil, turning, glazing, and such with the lid off a lot.

I don't know if it would work on the 22.5" wsm or not, but I'd sure do it if I could. Since it has a handle on the front, that should make it even easier to slide back into the holder. Whether the bracket is big enough after bending...that's the queastion.

I was almost about to order the lid hinge... not sure which out of the two. But after some thought I do really like the Weber 8411 mod.

It's removable, not permanently attached and best of all like others have noted I can rotate or move it. So rather than moving the smoker if it's windy I can simply re-adjust the lid.

I'm not opposed to drilling holes in the smoker but I think this is a better fit for me. I appreciate threads like this that discuss and show other options. Plus having it store inside the unit is nice so nothing is outside.

I assume it's just bending the tabs down and slipping it on? Or is there more involved because of the lid design it has to be bent to shape compared to the weber charcoal grill lid?

Thanks much,
-Nigel

I have one on my kettle and never used it on my 18.5" WSM but it looks like you would have to crimp the clips because a Kettle lid goes over compared to the WSM lid which slides into the mid section.
The curvature of the holder would have to be bent down.

Back