Lid finish on the newer Q1200 and Q2200 models

Arent webers more expensive in australia ? But i seriously doubt they do something special to webers for australia. Anyone in australia feel a red q top ?

It was pretty recent. I think the only reason Weber does not do the ceramic/porcelain on the Q is the lids are aluminum and if they were subjected to the heat needed to truly do porcelain they would vaporize since the temp needed is high enough to melt glass

I agree with Larry. I also think cost has a factor to play as well. For grills that typically sell for about $150 to $350, it would probably add another $50 to the price.

Also, there could be an issue with the aluminum expanding and contracting with heat more than the ceramic could handle.

"(Steel has the same value as iron.) The coefficient for aluminum is 2.4, twice that of iron or steel. This means that an equal temperature change will produce twice as much change in the length of a bar of aluminum as for a bar of iron. Lead is among the most expansive solid materials, with a coefficient equal to 3.0."

I never asked for porcelain enamel on the Q lid. My issue is that they switched from a smooth semiglossy paint to a matte rough texture that is a pain to keep clean.

Yep, the definitely did. What the reasoning for the change is, I don't know, but it seems like a mistake to me. I am sure however that it isn't truly paint, but more like a high temp powder coating. That stuff (at least on the older ones) is pretty darn durable compared to most other "paint".

I guess a guy could always repaint the lid with a few coats of regular paint or maybe just a few coats of High Temp Gloss would seal the matte finish with a much smoother layer.

Just repaint it in your favorite hi-temp gloss. I have done 3 of them so far this year,
and will be doing another this weekend if I can find the time.

Even the original semi gloss finish was powder coat. Most factories now use PC to meet emissions laws

I never heard of the tops being powder coated . What are you guys smokin ? If it comes off easily, its not powder coated. Is this info from weber ?

No one is smoking anything except maybe you. Weber has been powder coating the "Q" lids since the beginning. Actually just about ALL companies now use powder coat as a way to control VOC emissions and other emissions. Since the item is charged electrically dry charged powder is sprayed and adheres to the item and item is heated to "cure" the finish. PC can be anything from a very glossy high end finish to the poor quality finish we are now seeing on the new Q grills.
BTW PC has been favored by metal finishing companies for MANY MANY years now because of less waste, easier to control emissions and cheaper application.
Look at the black and red motorcycle (1969 Moto Guzzi V7 BTW).
JxiDhDF.jpg

That bike was done completely in PC. Compare it to the custom painted Honda CB450 in the background. That bike was painted by a guy I knew at the time who did many of the high end custom cars that were seen all over the world at the time. Pretty hard to tell the difference. And since them PC has become even better. Look at the finish on any KitchenAid stand mixer made from the mid 90's and newer. Yep! Powder Coated. So time for you to stop smokin George

Well, why are the coating on the lids so easily taken off ? Why was my lid soft when heated up. Developed bubbles and other issues. This is not powder coating.

You're asking about only ONE unit. I have never seen that stuff come off easily, or get soft. If you bought it new than perhaps it was never baked and cured correctly. If you bought it used than someone pulled a fast one on you and sold you a repaint that was not done properly. I actually saw a video of Weber making those lids and using the electrostatic powder coating equipment on them. So honestly don't know WTH happened to your lid. They are baked way hotter than the grills would normally run BTW or at least as hot as they could possibly get. But, they are powder coated. Even the new ones with the bad finish.

Yah, bottom line is that stuff isn't regular paint. It is tough to remove. I don't bother with any kind of solvents. I hit it with the angle grinder and wire cup brush.

Mine was bought new in 2005 ? And even back then folks were talking about the finish. Weber replaced the lid. I tried a corner with my thumbnail, yup, soft. Only now do i start reading about powder coating. Has anyone heard from weber what it is they use ? I havnt.

I told you George I watched a video of them finishing Q lids in the factory. Powder Coat. I have no clue why you have a soft finish. But I can assure you powder coating is ANYTHING but soft once cured. It is rock hard almost to the point like porcelain. Even with a scraper (used judiciously) I have not hurt the hood of any Q I have ever had or worked on. The ONLY thing I have accidentally found that hurt them is a Scotchbrite pad but then those pads will ruin anything they touch. But you can't get more definitive than actually seeing a video of the lids being powder coated. Not sure why you're so hell bent they're not. Also not sure what kind of fingernails you have either :D but in the course of dealing with at least 5 different Q series grills I have NEVER seen what you describe.

Im not hell bent on them not being powder coated. Im just going on my experiance. And i have never read anything from weber calling them powder coated. Just because i havnt heard it doesnt make it untrue but i just question until im convinced. Fustrating ? Sure, but i gotta see the evidence. Its just a thing i have called verify verify verify. Comes from being a tech, trouble shooter and shop owner for 35 years. Ill just leave this one alone. Not helping anything in any way.

Back