Lexington Vinegar Sauce

A bit late to comment on this, but I definately give it a thumbs up. I am mostly a BBQ sauce type of guy, but I figured I would give something different a try. Everyone raved for weeks about my pulled pork with this sauce.

Dupree, I sometimes take assorted hot peppers and toss them on the smoker after a cook to smoke and dry them. They come out dark, smoky and, hot. When ground, they become my homemade chipotle pepper. I am sure you sub any ground smoked pepper.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Vinegar does special things to pork.

My wife would definitely agree. She's really enjoying something called Earl's No-Cook sauce, which sounds somewhat similar to the one Jane posted on March 11. And in regards to how to make homemade chipotle pepper, that's an amazing idea. We have a small garden with some peppers that have formed despite the drought Kentucky's in the middle of, and when we do our next smoke starting tomorrow night, that'd be a great way to finish off Saturday morning. Thanks for the great ideas!

Luke my home grown peppers tend to be very mild-I suppose this results from the growing conditions. That's why I started smoking them. They seem to heat up in the smoking process. You might want to keep that in mind if yours are hot.

We took this sauce to a cookout on Saturday (as well as the No. 5 sauce) and the people who enjoy vinegar sauces loved this one. I know Bethany is especially fond of vinegar-based and I don't think that between this, No. 5, and a few more sauces we'll ever buy anything from the supermarket again; with the possible exception of some kind of specialty sauce we'd like to try. Thanks for being an invaluable resource!

Thanks, now make it your own. The last addition I tried and liked was just a squeeze of fresh lemon juice-not too much tho. Nice extra zip.

Glad this thread got bumped. The last few sauces I made had no extra water, and I always think they're too strong. This recipe is pretty similar to the best sauce I've made before except I've used equal parts water and vinegar.

I'll give this a try next time.

Mr. Petrone,
I made the sauce in accordance to the 2004 original recipe and I must say that it was a big hit with the folks that we had over for dinner on tuesday this week (8.7.07) !!
I can't thank you enough for the work you do, this sauce was as big a hit as the pork itself

A>L.Squires

I don't do pulled pork without making some Lexington Sauce. My friends and family really love it.
Here is my recipe:
# 2 cups apple cider vinegar
# 1/2 cup ketchup
# 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
# 2 tablespoons sugar
# 1 tablespoon kosher salt
# 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
# 1/2 to 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
# 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I finally tried this! And I loved it! I started with the original version at the beginning of this post. I might play around with it like most folks have. But I really liked it as is. Had it on pulled pork, and it definitely kicked it up a notch. Thanks, Steve!!

Mike

Steve, I just have to thank you for coming up with a very delicious and versatile sauce. I've made the lexington and a few variations and have had great success with them.

I amended it to my tastes by substituting soy sauce for worstershire and chipotle powder for cayenne, and by removing the celery seed, but the original was an excellent starting point.

I recommend to everyone that hasn't tried Steve's lexington give it a whirl, it works very well with ribs, pulled pork, chicken, and bbq spiced grilled pork loins - and I'm sure the possibilities are as endless as you care to make them.

Back