Let's talk about Hot Sauce

I've tried Dave's Insanity Sauce, and it is hot (not, really, insanely hot) but otherwise not much flavor value-added, IMO.

I got some Habanero Tabasco today, which has pepper and fruit undertones, with fair heat, but I'm looking for HOT!!

Anyone have suggestions? I need to whip up a batch of sauce PDQ for the coming weekend's smoke.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, I use to love and be able to handle hot when I was youmger but now now. I got my hot sauce from http://datldoit.com/ Try their datl-do-it Devil Drops. I recall it as being very hot. All their products are good.

What you make depends on type of peppers are available to you, fresh, dried or both.

Ripe peppers will have more and better flavor so if seeking fresh look for ripe Scotch bonnets or habs. You can boost flavor and/or heat with the addition of suitable dried peppers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but I'm looking for HOT!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I immediately thought of homer spraying marge's pepper spray (marge joined the springville pd) on his sandwich, he said something like:

"mmmmmm, incapacitating..."

as his eyes turned red.

my wife and I love to hit supermarkets where ever we happen to be traveling. you can score some nice regional sauces at supermarket prices.

Believe it or not, I've actually been to the Datl-Do-It pepper farm in St. Augustine, FL.

The have some interesting stuff, but I found the Devil Drops, well, mild. Okay, maybe not mild but certainly not hot.

I'm growing some Habaneros in the yard, but they normally have an off flavor due I think to the weather here, but in a month or so, well see.

I put a tbl of the Tabasco Habanero in about two cups of tomato and vinegar sauce--pretty good, but needs some smoke. I guess we know how to solve that issue.

Chris

Chris - if you are looking for store bought hot sauce (and there are many to choose from), you could check out the El Yucateco products available in Latin grocery stores. Very inexpensive and there are several varieties, some of which are decently hot.
El Yucateco

I think Dave's Insanity Sauce is more of a novelty and tastes awful, artificial, like a chemistry experiment.

Richard

Chris, The Source is supposed to be the hottest there is. If this isn't hot enough for you nothing will be.

Edit: The Source is rated at 7.1million scoville units ... it seems there are hotter products yet like Blair's 16 million reserve (16million scoville units), so The Source isn't the hottest stuff out there. Blair's 16 million product review.

I like heat, but I don't like my head blown off without taste. Right now I really like a Louisiana sauce called Red Rooster. It's semi hot, with the right amount of salt and vinegar. IMO, anyone can make "hot"...not everyone can achieve taste at the same time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
I like heat, but I don't like my head blown off without taste. Right now I really like a Louisiana sauce called Red Rooster. It's semi hot, with the right amount of salt and vinegar. IMO, anyone can make "hot"...not everyone can achieve taste at the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't like my head blown off either. I make 'CHipotle mayo' with three whole smoked habaneros in one cup of mayo and I can eat it without any trouble, but I sure feel it. That's about as hot as I like.

I think the great thing about additives like The Source is you add heat to what you already flavored.

Back