Let's do something about this tank scale: Genesis 1000-5000

Steve Hoch

TVWBB Hall of Fame
It doesn't take much to make that tank scale look new again, so you might as well address it while you have your grill apart to repair, repaint, or restore. I start off by just setting the whole assembly on an old cookie sheet and spraying it down with penetrant to loosen the rusted on wingnuts as well as the nut that holds the pointer in the scale. I will just leave it to soak overnight or longer. This particular scale is in what I would call average condition.20220818_200459.jpg20220818_200420.jpg20220818_200544.jpg

Disassemble it and prep for painting. I used a brass toothbrush, wire wheel in a drill, and sandpaper to knock the rust off and smooth things out. 20220818_201219.jpg20220819_200623.jpg

You, sir, take it to the next level, especially painting even the spring.

On a completely unrelated note, the background in the last picture struck me with the power of the branding on many of the items. I could recognize many of the things from just the color, or a letter here or there, or a bit of packaging. Companies obviously spend a lot of time on branding, and this picture really drove home that point to me.

Painting the spring may have been overkill, but I don't think it can hurt. It was pretty humid here today so I'm going to let everything dry until tomorrow. I'll try and get decent close ups of all the individual parts, put it together and see how it looks.

You should have extended the spring before painting (just kidding).
Great work and photos- I'm inspired to reclaim some of my rustier scales.
Let's see some pix of the finished product.

The new sticker for the scale is from Jon Tofte. The new rubber tip is from Ace Hardware. I haven't been able to find one in the right size that is the original color, but the red has grown on me. I apologize for my horrible picture taking.

Back